Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fast FD 55mm Competition. Guess the lens!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which set of pictures has the best image?
Set 1
80%
 80%  [ 16 ]
Set 2
20%
 20%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 20

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Fast FD 55mm Competition. Guess the lens! Reply with quote

In todays competition, we have two contenders for the Ultimate FD 55mm lens:

The Contender
Weighing in at 565g, and released in 1973, the classic FD 55mm f/1.2 S.S.C!
With an original price of 50,000 yen, and comprising of 7 lens elements, this lens is both affordable and of excellent build quality. Often found on ebay for ~140 euro, it has found a new lease on life on micro four third format cameras.

Versus.
The Big-Pricetag
Weighing in at a heavier 575g and released in 1975, it has been said that Canon used every trick they knew when building the FD 55mm f/1.2 S.S.C. Aspherical!
Priced at 80,000 yen, this was once the most expensive standard lens in the world, and is comprised of 8 lens elements, including one aspherical surface, and a kind of floating construction where the last lens stayed in postion and the rest seven elements moved as a group when focusing. Found on ebay for ~350 euro, this is no paperweight!

In this competition, both lenses were used wide open on a Panasonic G1. Two sets of pictures will be posted, and you, the viewers will have your chance to vote on which set you think is the best. Please post your opinions too!

After 10 days, I will reveal the identities of both lenses. Let the best lens win!

Last edited by dnhkng on Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:04 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PART A

Set 1 : Set 2

Last edited by dnhkng on Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:37 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PART B

Last edited by dnhkng on Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:39 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have edited the order of the pictures to make side-by-side comparisons easier. Please judges pictures on all criteria, sharpness, color, contrast and artistic feel. And post opinions!

Last edited by dnhkng on Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:23 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More info:

I have taken these pictures on a good tripod, and used the zoom feature on the G1 to carefully manually focus on the same object in both pictures. I don't have a remote shutter release, so I used the 10 second timer to take the images. I left on auto white balance for both sets of pictures.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A suggestion: since most people uses LCD monitors, that change luminosity with the viewing angle, it is best, for comparison purposes, to put the two images to be compared on the same eye level, rather than one after the other.
Example

A B
A B
A B

instead of

A
B

A
B

A
B

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When seeing the images at the same height, the differences are minimal. I would say set 1 has a little better contrast, but it also has slightly worse CA.

I'd call it a draw.

hm... there is no draw in the voting options. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree with Orio. A = more contrast, B = less axial CA. Not easy to decide.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, the photos have been arranged for better viewing. So far it looks like there isn't a clear winner, even though one lens is famous and costs double or triple the price of the other. This is good news for bargain hunters.

But so far, there has been over 80 views of this thread and only 3 votes Crying or Very sad

Orio: there can be only one. Two lenses enter, but only one will leave!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I dragged the photos to my desktop and did a back-forth-back-forth comparison in Bridge, easier to spot the differences when you see what is changing though framing stays the same.

Yes, I voted.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so ... these pics were made full open?

I have the non-Aspherical version, and i am totally not impressed by this lens when used full open.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, both are at F1.2

neither lens seems any near as good as my 85mm F1.2 aspherical though, but thats for another thread.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess the lens.......hmmm first set non aspherical second set aspherical
But , i like the first set more !

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an owner of the FD 1.2/55mm S.S.C. (non Asph.) and after testing some 1.2 lenses, i prefer and did vote for this version (1st Set), because it gives me more contrast in low light situations if there are no direct lights in the image and no reflecting metal surfaces. I prefer lenses, which gives me strong contrasts and sharpness.

1.2 lenses for me are divided in two categories... one categorie is low contrast and less sharpness wide open like the Bokeh-Monster Minolta Rokkor 1.2/58 PG or your shown 1.2/55mm Asperical, which is also not as sharp and contrasty as the normal 1.2/55mm S.S.C.

IMHO you can either get from a 1.2 a good sharpness and contrast or you lost this and get the advantage of less CA...

Just my 2 Cents after testing some 1.2 Lenses like the Rokkor, Canon FD 1.2/55mm, Porst 1.2/55mm and in the next weeks my new SMC Pentax 1.2/50mm Takumar, which should be the symbiosis of both... will see..

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for the first set, clearly with a better contrast ...
But, frankly, cannot guess between the two lenses ... Unless ... FD 55mm f/1.2 S.S.C for the first set and the Aspherical for the second ?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hk300 wrote:
so ... these pics were made full open?

I have the non-Aspherical version, and i am totally not impressed by this lens when used full open.

And which lens at 1.2 would impress you?
Open for any hint.

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my internet connection is having problems right now, so maybe I can blame it. But I'm not seeing any photos at all. Just rectangles with red dots inside, where the photos should be.

I went to the galleries and loaded several threads there to see if I'd have the same problem, but no. The images there displayed fine, although the pages took a long time to load (my internet connection problem, not mflenses).

So, did something happen to the photos? Or is my internet connection showing yet another problem? Please let me know if you can see the photos because I will be calling my ISP in the morning, and I want to be able to list all the problems I'm having.

Thanks.

BTW, dnhkng, I think you should have included the Canon FL 55mm f/1.2 in this comparison as long as you were comparing Canon 55/1.2s -- if you had access to one, that is. I have an FL 55/1.2, and I also have an FD 85/1.2 Aspherical. My FL 55/1.2 isn't as sharp as the 85/1.2 Asph, but it ain't bad.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael,

Just checked, the pictures show right now ...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, with the voting going so clearly in one direction, I may as well reveal the identities of the lenses now.

Set 1 is the FD 55mm f/1.2 S.S.C

and

Set 2 is the FD 55mm f/1.2 S.S.C Aspherical

It seems that the cheaper lens takes better photos, as judged by the folks on this forum.

I have had a 55mm SSC for a few months now, and when my aspherical version arrive, I was a little surprised by how soft the images seems, and so I started this poll. I wanted to know if the soft feel to the images was countered by the reduced spherical aberration.

I dont feel it is to be honest; I think the high prices commanded by these lenses is mostly due to legend, and the fact that it was one of the earliest consumer aspherical lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*UPDATE*

Well, I was considering selling one of the lenses, most probably the Aspherical, but I decided to do a few more last minute test shots. This time, the shots are taken with a high contrast background, and the results are interesting. The non-aspherical lens is still sharper, but now overall it seems worse in my opinion Any comments?

S.S.C : Aspherical

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here i would say that the Aspherical performs better with such kind of scene ...

Are you looking for a reason to keep both lenses instead of selling one Wink ?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. The image on the left appears to be sharper than the right, but it also exhibits quite a lot of flare compared to the right image.

So the right image is the Aspherical? Well, at least flare is well controlled. And that's kinda important in my book.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have decided to sell the 55mm S.S.C, non-aspherical; its on the marketplace section together with some other lenses I need to sell.

Damn this lumix G1! I just went and bought a FD 24mm F1.4 for 400 euro on impulse, and now I am way over my credit card limit and need to sell a large portion of my FD collection.

This is an expensive hobby Sad

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dnhkng wrote:

This is an expensive hobby Sad

No, you have been just infected by LBA, as all of us here Wink ...

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn! My old FD 55mm f/1.2 S.S.C is getting a new lease on live after these tests. I've been eyeing the aspherical one for ages and it's good news to hear the non-aspherical version is still very good glass!