Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

M42 to EOS Adapter question
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: M42 to EOS Adapter question Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have a M42 to EOS Adapter build from heavy brass, but I have a small problem with it : my m42 lens are not well aligned once attached to the EOS body (see pic bellow)

The red line on the lens should be on top, aligned with the firt 'n' leg of Canon mark. It's like the lens coul not be more screewed, so I guess there problems may occur :

- the screw thread is not aligned with the oiginal M42 one's
- the adapter is too thick
- both of those problems.

For the one having this kind of adapter, would you please give me the thickness of the adapter ?

Here is a photo taken from filmprocess.ru showing 2 adapters with different thickness :

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I see you have also an MTO 3M-5CA 500/8 (M42)How would you like it ? Can you mount as well on your EOS 350D?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What causes the difference is the misaligned thread, I have one or two M42 adapters like that. There is no consequence on the images.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
What causes the difference is the misaligned thread, I have one or two M42 adapters like that. There is no consequence on the images.

My M42 to EOS with focus confirm hows the same behaviour but to the opposite side. As Orio says I didn't notice any problem inthe pictures, it shows a perfect focus.

Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your lenses focus beyond infinity with your adapter, there's nothing to worry about as you will be able to see the image 'snap' in and out of focus as you rotate the ring. Even on some M42 cameras some lenses never quite line up. It just looks a bit unsightly.

Your adapter looks like the Kood one by the way - the same one I have.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks All.

My lens focus quite nice with my adapter, anyway I am a little bit anoyed because it's difficult to use the Manual/Auto switch of my Chinon 200mm that is near from the flash protrusion (see pic above).

About the MTO 3M-5CA 500/8, I'm verry pleased by this nice lens, I got it two weeks ago for such a bargain I could'nt imagine. I guess the version I have was designed solely for camera mount as it has no tripod mount.
I still have to correct the stiff focusing ring, but it's fun and easy to play with: not so big and very light !
It can be mounted on the 350D using any cheap M42 to EOS adapter without any complain, you don't have to put a spacer tube as with the Rubinar 500/5.6.

Here are my first tests with it (click to zoom):

(no crop)

(no crop)

(croped)

(croped; I was on a hurry so the whites are burnt...)

(no crop)

Please note that I did manual focus with a microprisms + stigonometer focusing screen that was misplaced: I forgot to put the coper spacer frame... now it is fixed (see my Chinon 200/3.5 test here).