Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Voigtlander NOKTON classic 40mm F1.4 SC whats it like?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Voigtlander NOKTON classic 40mm F1.4 SC whats it like? Reply with quote

I'm watching a Voigtlander NOKTON classic 40mm F1.4 SC, Leica M Mount.

Anyone know what they are like? Are they comparable to Leica, Canon 'L' series lenses? (i.e. high quality above most others)

Thnx

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a CV 35/1.7 and find it very good. For the price, it's marvellous value for money.

I've never used the 40/1.4 but it seems to get generally favourable comments on RFF Forum. The design's based on the "Mark 2" Leica 35/1.4 Summilux rangefinder lens which gave its best at distances over five feet (1.5 metres). I can testify to that because I used to have one. My CV 35/1.7 is better at 1.7 than the Summilux, but not as good as the Summilux at apertures smaller than 2.8. In fact, my 35/2.8 Summaron is better than both at f4. But really, we're splitting hairs here. At distances of five feet to 20 feet, these rangefinder lenses are terrific. I think you'll like the CV 40, but remember it wasn't designed for taking close ups of flowers!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. Most appreciated. I just don't know if i can pay £300 odd for that lens plus £50 for an adapter but the flickr examples i have found do make the lens look good.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a fantastic performer for the usual $300 used price tag.
I've used that lens extensively on my RD1 in fact, it has given me the most keepers of any lens on that body.

Here is a thread with shots in low light as the lens was designed for.

http://forum.mflenses.com/burning-man-decompression-party-t12323,highlight,burning+man.html