Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

ektar high tech scanner samples
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: ektar high tech scanner samples Reply with quote

I try my new negative scanner, the 5DII
it is much better than the 40D
pic with distagon 25 who is know for weak border

whole pic

100% crop with 5DII sized down at 40D resolution

100% crop at 5DII resolution (same as previous but sized down)

Last edited by poilu on Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely better , thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how are you doing this, poilu? What's your outfit -- besides the 5DII?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 'photographed' the negative then 'develop' it with Bibble
the 100% crop is 'photographed' at double resolution then scaled down to match 5DII
Ektar doesn't have higher resolution but it has less grain and look cleaner
I think that those samples shows that negative have more than 6Mpixels of information
now I wait 5DIII to get even more from my negatives

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is SERIOUS stunning detail !! Shocked

Look at the leg/arm of the seated man!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent detail, certainly. The clarity of the text on the Lipton bottle is stunning. It looks to me as if you are just blowing up grain between the 40D and 5D2 comparisons, rather than bringing out extra detail, which would mean you have hit maximum resolution by 10MP.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't express it clearly, it is the same scan from the 5DII just scaled to the 40D resolution
if you scale the small crop by 140% and compare with the big crop , you will see that the big crop have indeed more details
as for the blowing grain, you are right but don't forget that the big crop correspond to a enlargement of 1m at 150dpi, nobody will bring his nose close enough to see the grain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that, when comparing film to digital, two aspects are mixed up, that should really not: resolvance, and larger grain size.
The second can interfere on the first reducing the signal to noise ratio. But, it does not interfere in a regular way.

Film grain happens at a regular average, but the actual location and size of the single grains, is random. This means that a given larger grain dot may, or may not, hide a particular detail.
When blowing up to big enlargement, this becomes obvious. There are places where a big grain dot hits, and there you dont' see detail. There are other places where a big grain dot does not hit, and there you see finer detail, equal in resolvance to the density of the finer grain dots.

I think these images prove, that film indeed has a high resolvance power, coincident with the size of the finer grains, that exceeds the size of the larger grains.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent result!

Yes, I agree, Orio.
And for me the important difference between noise and grain is that grain is in most cases harmonious, while noise shows random color spots.