Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax AX
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Contax AX Reply with quote

Hi,

has anyone experience with this cam ? Mainly with the internal AF system.
Does it works fine. And perhaps what is with breakdown and repair of this system.

Your infos are very much appreciate. Very Happy

Many thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember as well Orio have it, due lot of post perhaps he will not answer. Try to reach him in pm too.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Contax AX Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:

Does it works fine. And perhaps what is with breakdown and repair of this system.

All other Contax C/Y mount cameras are great (though I'd prefer the ones without built-in motor - that is just another point of failure), but the AX was a failure. They tried hard to push it back then (you could get free loans of it over weeks though professional dealers), but even their own salesmen usually could not demo its AF without obvious failures during their presentation - slow, sluggish and a hulking beast of a camera. Should be very rare as barely any sold. As Kyocera afterwards more or less disowned it, there is few information on it to be found. I doubt it is fixable is something more serious happens to it - even if the spare parts haven't vanished, there is probably nobody left who is familiar with it, and that one would indeed need very special knowledge.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried one for a while. It's a nice camera.
All the features one might want Spot/Matrix/CW metering, AEB, 3fps advance etc.......
The AF system actually works very well and is faster and quieter than one would imagine.
The Camera has a built in "macro mode". The same effect as a 10mm extension tube. Quite handy actually.
Turns the mid tele Sonnars into nice close focus lenses they are not natively.

The deal killers for me:
1. I don't need AF hope that I never will. If so I will buy an AF camera and not fight it.

2. Although not heavy the AX is a large camera for some this is great. It is not heavy. I always found the RX feels to be more of a burden.

3. I don't need AF hope that I never will Wink

Try one Rolf. They are out there. KEH has them regularly on the list.

For me I would prefer the RX if focus confirm and longer lenses are used.
For Normal and wide how can you beat the lightweight and full featured Aria.
The lightest and last Contax model introduced (manual focus).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Contax AX Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:
Hi,
Your infos are very much appreciate. Very Happy
Many thanks in advance.

My copy works perfectly. It's an amazing camera. Along with all other features, it can transform any lens into a macro lens without the need of tubes or bellows and without any loss of light.
You are not forced to use it with autofocus, it is perfectly useable with manual focus as well.
It's my preferred Contax camera - only limitation is, you must not have small hands. It's a camera for real man Wink not for girlie Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true.
Never could match a skirt and shoes to that camera.

Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Contax AX Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

You are not forced to use it with autofocus, it is perfectly useable with manual focus as well.

But if you ignore the AF, you can get anything it offers plus some in a much more beautiful shape - Contax' late models were the sleekest and most advanced MF cameras you could ever buy.

Sevo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Contax AX Reply with quote

Sevo wrote:

But if you ignore the AF, you can get anything it offers plus some in a much more beautiful shape - Contax' late models were the sleekest and most advanced MF cameras you could ever buy.
Sevo

Well, aesthetical judgement is subjective. For reflex camera I personally like the big shape of AX more than the tiny 167MT or Aria.
As for features, none of the other Contax cameras can make all of your lenses true macro shooters. This is something more handy than one can maybe imagine.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

many thanks for your helpful comments. Perhaps I will buy a AX if this cam is crossing my way.

Thanks again

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one as well but I broke it someway. That was during the trip to scotland, usually when you finished a row of film, it will wind automatically, but not for that time. Then I had to take the film out by hand. I think that action may have damaged the camera. Since then the shuttle just dead. Anyone know how to resolve it?
However it is an interesting camera as people mentioned above. But I would not say it's that good to use, it's auto-focus is not fast and for some of the lenses you are not able to use it. It is really big! I mean huge. After it broke down, I bought a RTSIII and never looked back. The AX is bigger then my RTSIII. However its dead body is still there with my other cameras