Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Late Christmas
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Late Christmas ... Reply with quote

... and something to do (clean), but: shutter seems to work.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Samples please!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Prominent is certainly next on my list too Smile

What do you think about the Vitomatic IIIb (with 50mm f/2 Ultron lens)?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really cam/lens set that I would not give away. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truly lovely lens but... in my humble opinion the Prominent has to be one of the most evil camera designs ever to achieve 'cult' status as it seems to make everything as awkward as possible for no good reason?

OK.. flame away.... lol

Doug

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:

Spot, do not know the IIIb - only IIa with Ultron.

The Ultron lens is fantastic. The rangemeter is well adjusted, so there is no excuse not to make good photos.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Christmas ... Reply with quote

mflex-on wrote:
... and something to do (clean)

How would you fix that problem: upper shutter is rusted, I want to make usable (can not reach the inner camera, can not use film)

How would you remove that corrosion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
The Prominent is certainly next on my list too Smile

I had a IIIb with the Ultron back in the 1980s. Before that I had a IIa with a Color Skopar and prefered its top mounted shutter release. Maybe my IIIb had a problem, but the Kodachromes weren't particularly good, not as good as the ones I'd got out of the Prominent II which I had stupidly sold. The Ultron always had a tremendous reputation, but I've also used it on a Bessamtic and wasn't really impressed with that either. Perhaps the "best" Ultron is the original version on the Prominent?

The Prominents with the tiny viewfinders are - Shocked dreadful things to use Shocked The first version with the knob wind is truly hard work! The final version with the 1:1 brightline finder is a huge improvement, but still not a Leica M or a Canon V/P/VI/7 for handling. The worst thing is the focusing knob - you're working against a spring going one way, and fighting it coming back! Still, I was an idiot to part with mine. Even the early one.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh - another lens on my wishlist. Sad

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to open the housing door by flooding the closing mechanism with oil and wiggling around on the parts. Same procedure on the rewind knob.
Now the first film is loaded. More to be reported.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: First film roll with the Nokton Reply with quote

The first film roll is back. The Nokton and the Prominent seem to work so far.
Flickr album

one of the picts as an appetizer:

I detected some little fungus inside the lens. Any idea who could fix this?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: First film roll with the Nokton Reply with quote

mflex-on wrote:
The first film roll is back. The Nokton and the Prominent seem to work so far.
Flickr album

one of the picts as an appetizer:

I detected some little fungus inside the lens. Any idea who could fix this?

Store right and leave it, check it every half year is it growing or not. I expect it will not growing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Christmas ... Reply with quote

mflex-on wrote:
mflex-on wrote:
... and something to do (clean)

How would you fix that problem: upper shutter is rusted, I want to make usable (can not reach the inner camera, can not use film)

How would you remove that corrosion

Removing the light green corrosion is fairly easy to do. I use a toothpick that I've broken the tip off of and a bit of alcohol. Dip the toothpick into the alcohol and just rub the toothpick on the corroded areas. It usually comes right off.

As for the rusty part, that will be trickier. I would try some naval jelly on a cotton swab (Q-tip), and coat the rusted surface with it, then let it sit for a while. Rub off the disolved rust, and repeat as necessary.

Question: what type of film were you using? Your pics came out very well, I think. Nice sharpness and contrast, and I find the bokeh quite pleasing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your hints, Michael.

I used a Fujicolor Superia X-TRA ISO 400, scans made by the photoservice (one film development incl. 36 scans on CD: 4,50 EUR)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's interesting. I have some Superia 400 sitting around here, and honestly didn't care for it because the scans I made with it were quite grainy looking. Guess I should give it another try.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only shoot with that film, that makes results more predictable.

I let all scans do by the photo development service (pro service for photographers), they choose a relatively low resolution (1232 x 1840) but I think it suits the resolution of the film.

(photo made with a Jupiter-8 on a Kiew 2)