Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mamiya RB67 Pro S....
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Mamiya RB67 Pro S.... Reply with quote

Hi,

Wanting to delve into the world of medium format and film, I've been having a look around and found a Mamiya RB67 Pro-S and 50,90,180mm C lenses, plus a lot of other accessories for a very reasonable price (CAD$600/€380).

There is quite a lot of dirt in the 50mm lens though, but having cleaned my Planar 50mm, I'm not scared to go in and clean it.

Awaiting photos, but I think this is a pretty good deal!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes price is fine absolutely, but gear size, weight is huge! Are you sure this is best for you ? Heavy stuff can kill fun shortly if you need to move towards from your car more than 50m.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not adverse to handling big gear (5D+grip, 70-200 f2.8 IS) + flash, and regularly weight-lift Smile.

It won't be my primary camera, so to speak, so not too worried Smile.
Unless it's...10KG Surprised

Plus, my primary camera bag is a Rolling Computrekker Very Happy, Wheels are great.

Last edited by pbking on Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it and share your experience ! I am especially curious how does it perform with slides.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will do. As I said in previous post, if it comes to needing to move it long distances, I have a bag with wheels. Pulling 15kg is much nicer than carrying it a mile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you got a great outfit at a great price. The RB67 Pro S has some really nice features, and that great big negative size makes for some really stunning photos.

I know a guy here in Houston who does outdoor and nature photography with hs RB, and he doesn't seem to mind. But he's a pretty big fella, so that helps. He's also got a big Star-D tripod he uses with it. I guess if you're used to schlepping around heavy manual focus gear it really isn't that big of a deal.

I look forward to seeing some photo results. What type of film do you prefer?

OK, with a screen name like that, I gotta ask (and I don't mean to hijack the thread). What do you ride?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing motored - I used to ride freeride (mountain bike, custom-built Azonic Steelhead) and then some 'ankle mishaps'. I've also a fairly hefty tripod (Slik Pro 700DX) so that'll be more than ok. I reckon I could hand-hold it quite happily as the 5D + 70-200 2.8IS is no feather weightwise.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an RB67 Pro-S + 50, 65, 127 & 180mm lenses along with three RFHs and the prism finder.

Stellar IQ beckons... Cool

I'm a big guy myself and it's weight doesn't bother me. I use a Lowepro Pro-Trekker for mine as I use it more for landscapes and so usually have to hike and climb to my shooting spots.

@ Attila: The RB67 produces magnificent slides especially with Velvia 50 - I'd post some but I have no scanner and would have to get it done externally.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Bob in advance!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got some P6 Velvia 50 too... Wink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
Got some P6 Velvia 50 too... Wink

Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And no overlaps... Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:

Not many people have it... I did collect a P6 again sometimes need to test it, but I have P645 and not really want anything else just good light, subject and P645.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
bob955i wrote:

Not many people have it... I did collect a P6 again sometimes need to test it, but I have P645 and not really want anything else just good light, subject and P645.

The frame spacing does vary between 3 - 5mm on my one but has never overlapped to date and that's without using any special loading techniques.

Long may it continue...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is perfect , my first P6 I bought brand new 25 yrs ago also didn't do it Laughing and I did trade soon to a Praktica MTL5B because I would use slide and I didn't know that time 120 slide is exist.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
Attila wrote:
bob955i wrote:

The frame spacing does vary between 3 - 5mm on my one but has never overlapped to date and that's without using any special loading techniques.

Long may it continue...

It may just be that you have good loading technique. I never had any bother in the old days (when backing paper may have been thicker) but now I have to be careful with the loading otherwise I do get overlap. As long as it is loaded with great care there is not a problem (the guy with the P6 site reckoned that they NEVER overlap when handled properly).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for all this, guys! No idea how to get in and clean the lenses?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psychobiker wrote:
Cheers for all this, guys! No idea how to get in and clean the lenses?

Dismantling a leaf-shutter lens can be tricky. You might try posting a message at the Classic Camera Repair Forum. There are some very skilled repairmen who frequent it. I've gotten a lot of good advice from the members there when I've had repair questions.

http://www.kyphoto.com/cgi-bin/forum/discus.cgi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers. And of course, scanning these will be fun (NOT!).
I'll be continent hopping between Ireland and Canada for a while and need a portable scanner. The LiDE range are great but have no transparency adapter on top for through-illumination...I'm sure I can come up with something to bodge though. A little glass-bottomed light box with 10 or so ultrabright LEDs...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the Mamiya RB67 Pro last year, along with a couple of lenses. I hiked for 9 days Off-trail with the outfit plus tripod Shocked , and though heavy, it was worth it. I only sold it because I am beholden to my Pentax 645 and wanted more lenses for that camera.

Bob! If you want to send me some slides, I'll scan them on the V700 for you, and send them back with a CD or two. Usually the scan is about 180 megabytes, so usually can fit 5 or 6 on a CD.

Looking forward to the RB67 shots, psycho! Cool

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

V700, V500...damn it! I might just have to buy one and ship it to/from Ireland/Canada when I travel! I've seen what it can turn out with MF negs and its, erm...'good'. My 5D's resolving capability will shrivel in comparison to a ... 216MP image Surprised

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ PaulC:

I've always used the same loading technique for all my MF kit of Yashi 635, P6 and RB67. Which basically consists of keeping thumb pressure on the full roll as I load and wind on. Hasn't failed yet.

@ psychobiker: Be sure to check the 'T' setting for correct operation on your RB lenses as my 65mm presented me with the nasty surprise of closing the shutter right after pressing the release - on 'T' it should remain open until you either move the shutter speed ring off 'T' or lightly push the cocking lever on the body.

I'd have a go at fixing this myself but I haven't yet figured out how to get the lens MLU knob off so I can remove the bayonet ring to allow the rear of the lens to be removed.

Another thing is the floating element on the 50 and 65mm - there is a ring at the front of the lens for setting this. It's graduated like a conventional focus ring but you won't see anything actually happening through the VF when turning it. What you basically do for anything less than infinity focus is set it according to the distance scale on the side of the bellows or do as I do and guesstimate the distance. If you don't set this, your images may not have all the sharpness the system is capable of delivering.

Also while I remember... Laughing

Check the P adapter light seals for being crumbly or sticky - the P adapter is the bit on the back of the body that the RFH mounts to and provides the rotating back feature. Easy fix if knackered.

Do the same for the RFHs as well although their seals are more involved to deal with - if you like the system, go for the SD backs as they have a different light seal arrangement that doesn't use any foam - the SD backs are what I have.

@ Larry: Thank you for the kind offer - I am currently saving for a decent scanner and hope to be able to do 6x7 Velvia justice or something pretty close to it.

@ Attila: Why not try another P6 - you might find it works fine.

Last edited by bob955i on Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:43 pm; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I will I have one currently might be it works trouble free. Now I have more gears than brain Laughing Laughing problem is subject and light I rare find them together at same time.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seller has had it once-overed this year. Some dirt in the 50mm and less in the 90, both of which aren't a problem to open and clean as the shutter assembly comes out as one whole unit. 180mm is A++ cond tho Wink

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

****Another thing is the floating element on the 50 and 65mm - there is a ring at the front of the lens for setting this. It's graduated like a conventional focus ring but you won't see anything actually happening through the VF when turning it. What you basically do for anything less than infinity focus is set it according to the distance scale on the side of the bellows or do as I do and guesstimate the distance. If you don't set this, your images may not have all the sharpness the system is capable of delivering.****

...and one thing is strange from instructions:- "when using the 65/50mm lens closer than 1m, it's necessary to use f16 or smaller to obtain satisfactory lens performance".
erm so at 1.1m you can use what aperture you like, and I always thought lenses are not at their best from f16-f32.