Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Bad Moon shots fuji 400...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: Bad Moon shots fuji 400... Reply with quote

Not the best,but I am putting these out there so I can see where I went wrong...I had people moving on the verandah and I was rushed so I think that accounts for the blur. I used a release thingy (forgot the tech term) and had the camera set at B mounted on a tripod.I think it was a 10sec exposure.You can see why I want to be able to capture the moon rising as it is just so fantastic and the colour..... but I just can not do it justice.HELP!
Soligor 70-235mm

Auto Rikenon 2.8 55mm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the UFOS in the second shot! Laughing

At least for such shutter speeds you'll need a STURDY tripod and a STURDY surface. And maybe a SMC Takumar would work better with regards to flare in the lens?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks....I will get a SMC TAKUMAR one day so will play with what I have till then Very Happy
Maybe using the Velbon VG3 tripod (metal and HEAVY) instead of the plastic one?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm .. first I thought that this would be some exciting "Bad Moon" natural wonder of Australia. But it is bad "Moon Pictures"? Confused Smile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:
Thanks....I will get a SMC TAKUMAR one day so will play with what I have till then Very Happy

Of course a good tripod will do wonders.
Take you time for this kind of shots, use film with less grain (slide Smile )
And try to avoid artificial light.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
I like the UFOS in the second shot! Laughing

At least for such shutter speeds you'll need a STURDY tripod and a STURDY surface. And maybe a SMC Takumar would work better with regards to flare in the lens?

What causes such a UFO? Seen similar with my Sigma 24/2.8

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I didn't know these were shots of the moon, I'd swear they were sunset (or sunrise) photos.

When the moon has risen well above the horizon, and its phase is full, correct exposure is 1/125 @ f/8 at ISO 100. Some prefer f/11, which prevents the highlights from being washed out. I'm one of them. Close to the horizon like that, I'd open up a couple or three stops (or reduce the shutter speed by an equivalent amount). Since you're using a tripod and a cable release, best image quality will result from reducing shutter speed so you can keep your lens stopped down to an optimal level. Thus, since this is film, I'd bracket my shots, starting at 1/15 and then increase speeds to 1/125.

Last edited by cooltouch on Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:01 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlsson wrote:
Mo-Fo wrote:

Of course a good tripod will do wonders.
Take you time for this kind of shots, use film with less grain (slide Smile )
And try to avoid artificial light.

+1

I did learn a lot about tripod.... tripod can shows your photographic level...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on Michael's comments - the natural tendency is to over expose the moon, by the camera or by the photographer Rolling Eyes

Actually, with a good tripod, it should be possible to expose for the moon and then the land, and combine the two later.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe not perfect, but definitely not unpleasant. Wonderful colors. You've been given good advice so persevere.

Cheers, Marty.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for their help,I was actually surprised by the color myself ,if I had not personally taken these I would have thought sunrise as well...not that keen in getting up early Laughing ,well a whole new year to keep practicing!