Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Distagon 21mm & Canon 17/40 L
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:30 am    Post subject: Distagon 21mm & Canon 17/40 L Reply with quote

http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/1740.html
I doubt there is a wide angle, better than the Distagon.
Although the comparison is not the most just.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only question is-
why post process the RAW images at all when doing lens tests?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg wrote:
My only question is-
why post process the RAW images at all when doing lens tests?

How can you compare RAW files then?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting, esp as its an L lens, the best canon has, yes? do you know a good price for the distagon?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something looks very wrong with that canon lens

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"My Canon 17-40mm f4 L convincingly and consistently outperformed Canon's own 20mm, 24mm and 28mm f2.8 prime"

So the guy is saying there is an even bigger gap between zeiss and the canon primes?

Something doesn't add up, I don't know if he's had several bad copies or what but my sigma 18-50mm EX is MUCH sharper than that and I know for a fact it isn't as good as the canon lens because I've tried both.

Even my kit lens has better corner sharpness than that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
interesting, esp as its an L lens, the best canon has, yes? do you know a good price for the distagon?

The last one on Ebay went for $1500.00, with new ZE ones going for around $1900.00 Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the specifics of the shot are a lot different but I just wanted to give this example taken with my kit lens.

I really find it difficult to believe that he has an optimal example of the lens when my kit lens can out perform it easily so it's not really a fair comparison.

I'm not trying to bash the Zeiss lens at all but everyone should know a Canon L doesn't look like that in the edges at F/11, at least not one that's working properly.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatdeeman wrote:
I really find it difficult to believe that he has an optimal example of the lens when my kit lens can out perform it easily so it's not really a fair comparison.

From the bottom of the site:
I know what you're thinking - "no fair to compare a wide zoom with a wide prime" - but here's the kicker: in similar tests, my Canon 17-40mm f4 L convincingly and consistently outperformed Canon's own 20mm, 24mm and 28mm f2.8 primes at f8 and f11 - which in turn perform at least as well as their L-series equivalents at these apertures.
This page was originally built to prove to Canon that I had a bad sample. It's behaviour was curious, however: it was as though the lens was acceptably (but not impressively) sharp at a focal length of 17.85mm, but hopelessly soft (as you see here) at 17.9mm. Quite often it would just pop a stinker for no apparent reason. Eventually, after three months haggling, Canon accepted the lens back and the dealer refunded the money, but as you can imagine, as a Nikon convert's first Canon L lens, my faith in the brand was tarnished for some time.

fatdeeman wrote:

I'm not trying to bash the Zeiss lens at all but everyone should know a Canon L doesn't look like that in the edges at F/11, at least not one that's working properly.

No need for bashing, here he did a test with a second copy: http://www.16-9.net/ultrawides Laughing
And about the difference between the D21 and a 17-40. For me there are two, first you don't have to to worry about getting a bad copy because you won't find one, second a Distagon 21 is a Distagon 21 Wink