Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

35mm larger aperture recomendations
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: 35mm larger aperture recomendations Reply with quote

I'm a bokeh nut and I'm looking for a 35mm lens with a larger aperture, hopefully more than f2.8.

The two I've evaluated so far are the Super Tak 35/2 and the CZJ Flektagon 35/2.4. Both have what I think of as nervous/vibrating bokeh. I didn't need the violent sharpness of the CZJ but I was disappointed by the takumar.

Does anyone have any recommendations: with a suitable adaptor I would be using it on my Canon FD cameras and also a Canon DSLR. right now I am using m42 lenses. Apart from bokeh I also appreciate multi-coatings as backlight shots are my favourite; but I'm willing to put up with lesser coatings if only I can get decent bokeh.

Thanks for any pointers.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boke (OOF rendition) is so subjective we probably need examples of what you do and dont like to offer any meaningful suggestions. Also a budget would help. Personally, I have always had a very soft spot for the nikkor 35/1.4

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am quite impressed with the overall rendition (including bokeh) of the Nikkor 35mm f2 lens. You will need an adapter of course. Some versions are not reputed to be absolutely sharp wide open although they are at least very good in the centre at this setting and then when stopped down they become very good to excellent across the entire field. This is not an issue for me with some photos but may be for you. If I shoot portraits as in the example below the edges do not matter. If I shoot landscapes I will be stopped down anyway and at those settings the edges are much improved.

The following image is shot wide open with the AF version but I recall having good results with the pre AI one too. However the various blogs etc provide conflicting reports on the various versions. Having said that I have not been disappointed and I am very picky. Perhaps I am just lucky.

Also a quite good overview here

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/35mmnikkor/35mmf2.htm

(Image Best viewed in IE)

Last edited by peterm1 on Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:21 pm; edited 7 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your budget?

How about a Distagon 35/2 ... but that wouldn't fit your FD.

Talking about FD, I used to have a FD 35/2 for my A-1 which was giving really good results with pleasant Boké (8 blades, just like the 28/2 belonging to that series) - however that won't fit your digital EOS.

Kiron made a very good 28/2 but I am not sure if that was available in M42 ...

Talking about budget: How about an EF 35/1.4L :p?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also a fan of the Nikkor 35/2. The later versions are multicoated.
The nice thing about this lens is since it ain't a f1.4, the price is right, and there are a lot of them, unlike some of the other Japanese brands, where the rarity adds to the cost.

The non-multicoated versions (Nikkor-O) usually sell for less than US$50 on evilBay, and the mulitcoated (Nikkor-OC, Nikon AI etc.) can usually be had for about US$100-150 max.
Since these were workhorse lenses, be patient until a nice used/not abused example surfaces. Some of the ones currently listed are way too expensive:
Click here to see on Ebay

Center is pretty sharp wide open (focus carefully!) and I find the bokeh quite nice. I've not had much of an issue with flare. Buy one, use it, if you don't like it you can sell it for what you paid.

It fits fine, with cheap adapters on FD mount and EOS mount cameras, which I can attest to first hand.

The Nikkor 35/1.4 is also a candidate. You will probably be over US$200 for a decent copy.

This is an older shot from a Canon 10D and a 35/2 Nikkor-O: (excuse the color balance...)

Here's an available darkness shot with the 35/1.4 Nikkor-O using a 40D:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterm1 wrote:

Also a quite good overview here

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/35mmnikkor/35mmf2.htm
]

A link to info about the pre-AI lenses on the same site:
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/6070nikkor/wides/35mm.htm

It's ironic that Canon actually does a better job at using the older Nikkor glass. You can easily use non-AI'd lenses on the EOS/FD mounts...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's ironic that Canon actually does a better job at using the older Nikkor glass. You can easily use non-AI'd lenses on the EOS/FD mounts...

It's even more ironic that those same modern Canons cannot use the FD glass! Also by "older" for the nikkors, you really mean "very older" Very Happy Very Happy

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Quote:

It's even more ironic that those same modern Canons cannot use the FD glass! Also by "older" for the nikkors, you really mean "very older" Very Happy Very Happy

patrickh

You are right of course! So, is that double irony? Or irony squared? I've mounted c.1961 Nikkor-S 5cm lenses on my old 10D...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The smoothest bokeh in the 35mm lenses that I have tried, is MIR-24's
(Soviet, 35mm f/2)

Speaking generally, wide angle lenses do not give the "creamy bokeh" that you probably like.

However keep in mind that smooth bokeh usually also mean lower microcontrast and flatter image. So it's not without side effects. One must evaluate the pros and cons and decide what is best for his photography.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I agree that bokeh is subjective, to some degree. For those, like myself, looking for non-distracting backdrops then certain 'artifacts' aren't subjective, like bright-rings, double-lines, swirls etc. Complicating the matter is that some bokeh lenses are awful wide-open and wonderful closed down a little. I avoid bright-ring from my smc tak 50/1.4 by never shooting at f1.4, same with my FL55/1.2.

The trickiest one for me is the nissen/vibrating/nervous bokeh. I'm never really sure of myself as this feature is so difficult to pindown. Perhaps a double-line test would do it, which is said to accompany such bokeh, but examining photos doesn't usually give such oppotunity. I would say, for example, that the Nikon has an uncomfortable, nervous bokeh: uncomfortable to this viewer, that is. But not particularly uncomfortable which leads me to doubt myself, darn it.

Looking at that 35mm test link is interesting however. Does that test represent common mainstream candidates, or just a fairly random selection of what the tester just happened to have available including obscurities I'm rarely going to see in the market? Are there any other such tests perhaps not as such close focusing (which is a bokeh I'm never going to see)?

I suspect, as Orio suggests, that I may have to either heavily compromise or give up. But that vivitar does look interesting.

I don't suppose there is a 28mm lens worth a look? I suspect there won't be enough bokeh to be worth the trouble, but you never know.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lorriman wrote:

I don't suppose there is a 28mm lens worth a look? I suspect there won't be enough bokeh to be worth the trouble, but you never know.

Vivitar/Komine Auto Wide-Angle 28mm f/2.8 has, to my eye, pretty good bokeh for a wide-angle:

Unfortunately, all 28mm lenses significantly faster than f/2.8 seem to have rather bad bokeh wide open, at least the ones I've seen samples from.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, that bokeh is fairly decent. Thanks, Arkku

Arkku wrote:

Unfortunately, all 28mm lenses significantly faster than f/2.8 seem to have rather bad bokeh wide open, at least the ones I've seen samples from.

Interesting observation.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:

Did you try Distagon 28/2 or Ai-S Nikkor 28/2? Supposedly, they aren't bad (I never tried them myself though).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a Nikkor-OC 35mm f/2 and used to own a Nikkor 35mm f/1.4. I owned the 35mm f/1.4 only briefly (it was inventory) and didn't get to shoot with it much, but it was a great lens. The 35mm f/2 I've owned for years, and have grown to really like it, but I've never used it to produce bokeh. I'm usually after depth of field when I shoot with wide angles. Guess I'll have to give it a try after seeing some of the samples.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they will make a samyang 35 1.2, if it is like the 85 it will be sharp with smooth bokeh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
Arkku wrote:

Did you try Distagon 28/2 or Ai-S Nikkor 28/2? Supposedly, they aren't bad (I never tried them myself though).

No, I haven't tried these, and to be honest, I haven't even actively looked at samples since these are not lenses I would usually be considering (Distagon is probably too expensive and I don't have a Nikon system). However, the Hollywood Distagon might indeed be an exception here, as I seem to recall seeing some nice close-ups with blurred background from it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nikkor is really great, a friend of mine has one, and it´s very sharp and contrasty. I like it much better than my 28mm F2,8 AiS, which I have sold recently.