Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon 135/2.8 'Preset Manual' and 'Electric' difference?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Pentacon 135/2.8 'Preset Manual' and 'Electric' difference? Reply with quote

Hi, I wanted to ask what the difference is between the Pentacon 135mm 2.8 lens in its 'preset manual' version and its 'electric' version. The lenses seem to be different externally (different look). is there any difference in terms of quality and performance? which version would be the famous 'bokeh monster'?

Thanks,
Chris.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of them are based on the same optical design, but the older one (pre-set) has better build and 15 aperture blades ( = "bokehmonster").

The newer one may have slightly better contrast, but it has only 6 aperture blades.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What might be of interest is that the pre-set version has interchangeable mount: the back ring can be taken off and replaced by another of different mount: M42, Exakta and Praktina were supplied, and they're compatible with the mount used on the pre-set 200/4 Pentacon/Meyer Orestegor.

Do it the easy way: see if you can get a couple made which is T2 screw, that would make mix-and-match a lot easier Smile Idea

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The preset would be my choice. The bokeh I feel is a bit overrated but it is quite good.

My favourite 135 in my collection is the Zeiss 135 which can be found for a fraction more. It's brutally sharp, great bokeh, contrast and saturation.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The later version, non-preset versions are more widely available.

I think that the preset version is more unique, but be careful, although no-X states that this version has better build (mechanically-wise), the coating-strength sucks! It is as soft as butter!

I have damaged (or should i say almost removed) the coating by my attempt to clean it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, the coating can be really soft, but it depends on model. The oldest lenses has often the soft coating (similar to old meyer alu lenses), but newer samples doesn't have this problem.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your replies.
I've got another question, I found the preset manual one in two different versions.. one has the focus and aperture info written in green on the lens, whereas the other lens has the info written in red - what's the deal here?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are at least 5 different pre-set models. But optical performance is the same. Take the cheaper one or the one, which do you like more Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an example how coating changed in time. All of them are "bokehmonsters", but not all models are present. The oldes one is on the left: