Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Distagon, Sonnar and Tessar, any good?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Distagon, Sonnar and Tessar, any good? Reply with quote

Hi,

Some guy is selling some zeiss lenses on ebay, Click here to see on Ebay.de

DISTAGON 2.8/32MM
SONNAR 2.8/85MM
TELE TESSAR 4/135MM

All three are missing the rear mounts, but the optics are supposedly good. I have access to a lather, and am using a panny G1 with canon FD lenses right now, so I could probably make the adapters with a little work.

So, I know nothing about zeiss lenses. Are they any good? what should I bid for these one? and are they better quality than the canon FD lenses I am using now?

Thanks in Advance!

PS, please don't outbid my 1 euro bid! I am a poor student Rolling Eyes

Last edited by dnhkng on Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:21 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread moved to Marketplace.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Distagon, Sonnar and Tessar, any good? Reply with quote

dnhkng wrote:

So, I know nothing about zeiss lenses. Are they any good?

yes, they're good

Quote:
why do they usually cost so much?

Do they really?
If you compare with cheaper lenses like the Helios-44, they cost much. If you compare with lenses like the Nikkors, they cost a little more, but not much. If you compare with new Canon lenses, they cost less, sometimes a lot less. If you compare them to Leica Apo lenses, they cost a huge lot less.
So, everything is relative.

Quote:
what should I bid for these one?

It's not clear from the pictures, what cameras are these lenses for.
You should ask the seller for a more precise description and / or better photos.
Then we can give you a price quote.

Quote:
and are they better quality than the canon FD lenses I am using now?

Not necessarily. It may also be that the Canon FD lenses are better. Or that they are equivalent.
I don't know the FD lenses so I can not answer specifically.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dnhkng wrote:

Quote:
So, I know nothing about zeiss lenses. Are they any good?

Dear dnhkng,
you are a lucky man: you have years of interesting reading ahead of you concerning Zeiss-lenses in the pages of this group alone, let alone a dozen others that also deal with Zeiss lenses.

Welcome to their wonderful world and happy reading
Thomas

P.S. As for prices: just become an ebay-member and use their advanced search to check prices of already sold items. There are also lists somewhere in these pages.

P.P.S: Judging by your acronym you live in Hongkong, correct?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madamasu wrote:

P.S. As for prices: just become an ebay-member and use their advanced search to check prices of already sold items. There are also lists somewhere in these pages.

But the problem is that it's not clear what are these lenses for. Contarex? Maybe Contaflex? Is the Tele-Tessar for the Rollei?

For instance I don't even know if it's possible to adapt Contaflex lenses.

As it is, it is a big risk to buy blind.

FD lenses have good reputation of quality, if you are a student with little money my advice is to stay with your FD lenses for a while or until you get a work and a regular income.

-

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope, I live in Munich Razz aber mein Deutsch ist schiesse, weil ich komme aus Australien.

I think I will stick with my FD lenses. They seems pretty good, all things considered. Plus, making an adapter probably would be too much work. FD, being pretty much abandoned fit my student budget nicely.

One quick question though, are leica and zeiss really really good, or is it just that they have a high 'snob' value? I have seen a few rich Münchner waving around leica M8-9's, and I really wonder if they are so much better than say, a D700?

Last edited by dnhkng on Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:08 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dnhkng wrote:
nope, I live in Munich Razz aber mein Deutsch ist schiesse, weil ich komme aus Australien.

I think I will stick with my FD lenses. They seems pretty good, all things considered. Plus, making an adapter probably would be too much work. FD, being pretty much abandoned fit my student budget nicely.

Perfect choice, I think.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dnhkng wrote:

One quick question though, are leica and zeiss really really good, or is it just that they have a high 'snob' value?

Very sensitive question. Fortunately you ask in this forum and not some where else. Laughing

It is generally accepted that both Leica and Zeiss lens are higher quality compare to a lot of other brands. Having said that, not all the Leica and Zeiss lens are equal - some are better than other. Whether or not it is worth the price will depend on people.

A lot of Leica owners are only collectors. The price tag and the various limited edition made Leica price only able to be access by small group of people. So this make it exclusive and 'snob'. However, Leica users here in the forum picked up Leica for specific reason. Most don't buy into the whole system. Only pick up the lenses they need for specific photographing reason. In this case, it is not a snob status.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the C/Y Zeiss lenses for the fantastic 3D effects and sharpness on crop cam. Really depends what you are looking for in picture quality though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dnhkng wrote:

One quick question though, are leica and zeiss really really good, or is it just that they have a high 'snob' value? I have seen a few rich Münchner waving around leica M8-9's, and I really wonder if they are so much better than say, a D700?

Leica M9 is the first full frame rangefinder FWIK. Sincerely I'm not that interested in pixel peeping but I guess that if I'd have a good set of Leica M lenses I could be interested in it, otherwise its price tag (more than 5000 euro) happily put me safe from any temptation Wink

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that there are people who are into the "brand" thing by fashion.
And others that use this or that brand of lenses because it fits them best.

I usually am able to tell one from the other by looking at the photos. There are photos that are sincere and photos that are not. The fashion driven guys for most part take insincere photos.

I take photos my own way and it costed me efforts and time, not to build my own style as some say (I really think I have no "style"), but to stay away from other people's styles - to stay away from influences.

I shoot straight and I try for what is possible to be anti-rhetoric. I don't try to look unique, I just try to follow my instinct and culture, and to be sincere in what I do. I don't look for a style, and I don't look for special effects. I shoot when something gives me an emotion and when I do take a photo, I want to get back from it, when I review it, the same emotion that I felt in front of the scene when I was shooting.

I have found, after trying many lenses and brands, that the Zeiss lenses are those that give me back more of that special feeling when I review a photo. This because they are lenses that are very realistic, and at the same time can enhance some aspects of reality (the vividness of light) that gives the photos that "directness" that I appreciate.

They are not the only lenses that do that; there are some Russian lenses that do the same. The advantage of Contax for me is the fact that there is a full line of lenses that behave the same, like a team - whereas the Russian lenses characters can differ a lot depending on which lens.

People who love a different atmosphere from photos - maybe a more soothing atmosphere, or sweeter atmosphere (Zeiss lenses can be hard), or dreamy atmosphere, that create a distance from reality, will rightly prefer other types of lenses.

It ultimately boils down to what you are and what you expect from your photos. Lenses are not all equal. They have different characters. One must find the lenses that suit their photos best.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really great explanation, Orio!