Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Summicron bokeh
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Summicron bokeh Reply with quote

This was taken today with a Leitz 50mm f2 Summicron (rigid, rangefinder version) dating from the mid-60s. Aperture f4.

Very dull, flat light, damp and misty, temperature hovering around freezing. Really no colour in the countryside so I thought let's desaturate it and make it "B&W", just shades of gray everywhere. I did try tweaking the contrast but the results don't resemble the reality, so this is pretty much as it came from Capture 1 without saturation. The flower head in the foreground is actually sharp in the original. (Yes, there's a sensor mark just above it, the cross M8 owners have to bear)

"Good" bokeh is something indefinable and totally in the eye of the beholder, so I can't say if this is "good" "bad" or "indifferent - but it pleases me.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bokeh smooth as silk; totally fits the scene and what you were trying to accomplish.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen - a very smooth OOF rendition, but with this kind of "distance" background a lot of lenses will render in a similar way. The real boke champs (IMHO) are the ones that can take a busy and closer background and not make it a confusing mass. BUT - boke or OOF rendition is very much in the eye of the beholder and is a very personal thing, varying by picture/lens/subject etc ad infinitum. The picture is very successful by the way

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrickh - thanks for the comments. Bokeh/OOF effects (we could invent a new name - "Oofex") are indeed in the eye of the beholder. I think the whole topic could be a good subject for a doctoral research project!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Summicron bokeh Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
This was taken today with a Leitz 50mm f2 Summicron (rigid, rangefinder version) dating from the mid-60s. Aperture f4.

Very dull, flat light, damp and misty, temperature hovering around freezing. Really no colour in the countryside so I thought let's desaturate it and make it "B&W", just shades of gray everywhere. I did try tweaking the contrast but the results don't resemble the reality, so this is pretty much as it came from Capture 1 without saturation. The flower head in the foreground is actually sharp in the original. (Yes, there's a sensor mark just above it, the cross M8 owners have to bear)

"Good" bokeh is something indefinable and totally in the eye of the beholder, so I can't say if this is "good" "bad" or "indifferent - but it pleases me.

The bokeh is simply wonderful, and very good sharp.
I would put one of these in my Canon 5D.
Is a leica, say not more. Congrats.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only good bokeh - also a very good evocative image.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Not only good bokeh - also a very good evocative image.

Yes sir, beautiful image. And a lens with a beautiful bokeh and very sharp.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done!