Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

List the Film SLR you used only one time and why?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:17 am    Post subject: List the Film SLR you used only one time and why? Reply with quote

This is embarrassed but could heppen to you all.
Mine is Voigtlander Bessamatic. It looks really fantastic but quite heavy and not easy to setting speed....
What's yours?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konica TC. I'd bought a Vivitar 200/3.5 thinking "KA" meant it was a Pentax K-A though it didn't look like a P-k-a. Rolling Eyes So I have brother-in-law's Konica on semi-permanent loan.

I don't get along with it. Shutter priority automation. I shot a half roll with flash where I had the camera set (or assumed it set itself, with a dedicated flash) on a speed higher than its sync. I didn't really get good pics with the Vivitar 200. Maybe a couple. I think I ran one... ok maybe 2 rolls through the camera.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Konica TC. I'd bought a Vivitar 200/3.5 thinking "KA" meant it was a Pentax K-A though it didn't look like a P-k-a. Rolling Eyes So I have brother-in-law's Konica on semi-permanent loan.

I don't get along with it. Shutter priority automation. I shot a half roll with flash where I had the camera set (or assumed it set itself, with a dedicated flash) on a speed higher than its sync. I didn't really get good pics with the Vivitar 200. Maybe a couple. I think I ran one... ok maybe 2 rolls through the camera.

Smile my favorite SLR Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really ought to give it another go

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
I really ought to give it another go

I did mix with FC , FC is my favorite , but I guess TC not too bad also, give it to her another try. Embarassed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

East German Pentina - bought it (brand new in the early 1960s) at 10.30 am, loaded a film, took four shots and it jammed up solid before 11.00 am. The nice photo dealer exchanged it for an Exa IIa. That worked fine but the Domiplan lens fell apart within a fairly short time ...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost all SLR,RF what I have I used only one times , due I buy always new ones Wink and I love result better from medium format cameras.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the M42-Practika SLRs that I got together with some M42-lenses.
I have used each of them once to check if they are working. Only two weren't.

Then, my two Zenit E copies for the same reason. I have always preferred my Zenit EM.

But if you have a fully functional Spotmatic II, you don't use any other M42-cam any more. Wink

I also have used my Minolta Hi-Matic E only with one roll. It's a very nice cam, but I prefer the Oly 35RC and the Yashica Electro 35GS.

I have also used my Yashica-24 only once (because the shutter got stuck at the first roll) and my Dehel - Demaria Fréres 1941 (4.5x6), because it's a medium format cam and med.form. film is terribly expensive to develop where I live.

Others I only have used once are:
- Reflekta Junior (6x6)
- AGFA Box 50 (6x9)
- Konica Z-up 120 VP
- AGFA Super Silette II (all for different reasons)
- Konica Autoreflex A (because it doesn't work properly)
- Canon EOS 600 (because the shutter broke while the first roll was loaded)

I was really lucky with most of my lenses, but I sometimes was unfortunate with my cams.

Last edited by LucisPictor on Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:56 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentax SV, ME Super, MX and MV, with each I have not even finished shooting one film yet, but all have a half shot film inside.
- the only reason why is because I have been buying so many MF lenses which I wanted to try out on my dSLR Wink
so I did not take the time to shoot film yet, but I am looking forward very much to use all of them in near future

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zenit camera, played with it for about 20mins, had no ambition to even put a film in it..........and gave it to a charity shop.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one I used least was a Pentaflex SL, a cheap (oh the irony!) cut-down Praktica Nova. The shutter was speeded 30-500 & B, and it had a Domiplan lens, though it was badged as something else. It wasn't that it was a bad camera, instead, it had the flimsiest rewind crank which meant that you had to operate it like the key on a sardine can, because the little freewheeling knob on the end of the crank was too small to grasp. I sold it after a couple of rolls of film, but kept the lens, and bought a proper Praktica Nova instead. I put the Domiplan on that, and I had such a lot of fun with that camera for quite a few years.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Outside of SLR's there are a couple I've used literally once:
- a Vitomatic that quit after 2 frames
- a vivitar focus free that quit on frame 26 of 36

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Laughing Laughing Outside of SLR's there are a couple I've used literally once:
- a Vitomatic that quit after 2 frames
- a vivitar focus free that quit on frame 26 of 36

after two frames ?! Is was that crap ??

Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

after two frames ?! Is was that crap ??

Shocked

Laughing I was playing the 'they don't know about the film sproket advance trick' and betting I'd luck out with a very cheap Vitomatic. Twice Rolling Eyes and I couldn't get the shutter/frame advance mechanism sorted on either.

Both with Color Skopars too.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Praktia Super TL.

The meter seemed to be working indoors in low light. Agreeing with my DSLR. I put film in, took it outside and it read exactly the same. Sad

A Zenit EM. I never got around to using it so donated it to Poolhall.

A Spotmatic SPii I bought as a backup to my main spotty. Sadly, my Chinon is my main camera now so it's relagated to 3rd spot.

A Praktica MTL3. I bought it for the lens, but it's the nicest looking and handling of that era of Prakticas and I can't part with it.

I have a couple of other cameras that I haven't used yeat as they're awaiting final minor repairs.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be the Nikon F1 Photomic that I had MANY years ago. It was so much of a hassle to reload film into, that I used the roll I had in it and never used it again. (I sort of wish I still had that one, tho, as it was pretty much mint and quite a solid camera.).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only 35mm SLR that I can recall that I used only once was a first model Nikon F with the non-TTL metered finder. I'd been shooting 35mm for only about a year, and was still pretty much a rookie. Turns out the camera's shutter speeds were erratic, so I returned it for a refund.

-M

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glockman99 wrote:
That would be the Nikon F1 Photomic that I had MANY years ago. It was so much of a hassle to reload film into, that I used the roll I had in it and never used it again. (I sort of wish I still had that one, tho, as it was pretty much mint and quite a solid camera.).

cooltouch wrote:
The only 35mm SLR that I can recall that I used only once was a first model Nikon F with the non-TTL metered finder. I'd been shooting 35mm for only about a year, and was still pretty much a rookie. Turns out the camera's shutter speeds were erratic, so I returned it for a refund.

-M

Nikon F?? I thought this is a historic and great one?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised about the Zenits... I hadn't thought much of them until I actually had one, but was surprised at how nice and smooth it is in use. I can't think of any SLR that I've disliked to the point of only using it once. I think the least satisfying one, though, was an Exakta VXIIB with a microprism screen and a Schneider Xenon lens. I had no idea whatsoever whether the camera was in focus or not, it didn't seem to make any difference at all in the finder where you turned the focus ring.

The Bessamatic was pretty close, hard to operate, hard to focus and uncertain reliability. I did run more than one roll through it though. Glutton for punishment.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djmike wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

Nikon F?? I thought this is a historic and great one?

The Nikon F is a great, historic camera. But there are thrashed examples that aren't worth owning. In my case, I didn't use it more than once not because of its capabilities as a camera design, but because that particular camera was worn out. I didn't know enough back then to be able to tell a good camera from a worn out one.

As I mentioned, I was pretty much a rookie at the time. My only 35mm camera was a Canon AE-1, which I used only in its shutter-priority mode. But I was just starting to get the itch to learn more about photography, and I thought a tank like an old Nikon F would be a good tool for that. I showed it to a friend who knew a lot about photography, who promptly found a few problems with it, including the erractic shutter speeds, and she recommended I return it and buy something like an FM or an FE.

Well, I was pretty clueless anyway, so I followed her advice and returned it, but instead of buying an FM or an FE, I bought an old Canon IVsb rangefinder with lens for about the same amount of money. That was a cool little camera. It definitely got used more than once.

-M

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rick_oleson wrote:
I think the least satisfying one, though, was an Exakta VXIIB with a microprism screen and a Schneider Xenon lens.

Interesting to see the Varex IIB appearing here, as that's one that's been on my when-I-get-round-to-it wish list, but as I only collect to use, not display, that could be the decider against. My only previous experience with an Exakta was the RTL1000, but there are those who say that wasn't a real Exakta and didn't have anything like the build quality or functional versatility of the Ihagee Exaktas. One of the things I'd liked about the RTL1000 was the ease of interchangeability of focussing screens : you just unclipped the pentaprism housing, swapped screens, and popped the prism back in place. I used to connect it to a telescope, with the clear screen fitted for ease of focussing on faint and difficult sky objects at night.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've replaced the IIB with a IIA, which is functionally nearly identical but prettier. Either a glass split-image screen (which seem to be hard to find in good condition) or a plain groundglass is easier to focus on than their microprism, and the Zeiss Biotar lens is more pleasant (for me) to use than the Xenon. Main reason for the latter is the Xenon's micrometer-like focusing, which goes nearly a full circle to get to the near focus limit... it sounds like it would be good for fine focus, but it's SO fine you can't see the image snap in and out, it gets frustrating. So the IIA/groundglass/Biotar combination is much better than the IIB/microprism/Xenon combination for use, and it also looks nicer on the shelf. Both cameras are very sturdy and reliable (but may need new shutter curtains if they haven't been serviced).

The Exakta is still a distinctly acquired taste in handling: the wind stroke is about 300 degrees, non-ratcheted, and the lever won't come back until it's gone the full stroke (and it can get pulled even when the shutter is already wound, in which case you have to go through the whole stroke again to get it folded back out of the way). And everything is left-handed, so if you focus with your right eye the shooting rate is measured in frames per minute rather than per second. But it won't quit on you, and it has a wonderful shutter speed range from 1/1000 to 12 seconds.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend loaned me a Canon AE-1P and I ran one roll of film through it before giving it back. I knew after the first couple of shots it was never going to feel right in my hands. The pictures on the roll came out fine, and the camera has a great reputation, but it's just made for a different kind of photographer I think.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5cent wrote:
A friend loaned me a Canon AE-1P and I ran one roll of film through it before giving it back. I knew after the first couple of shots it was never going to feel right in my hands. The pictures on the roll came out fine, and the camera has a great reputation, but it's just made for a different kind of photographer I think.

Welcome 5cent!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentax MZ50 too plastic after handling the Ricoh super 5.This was a huge disappointment after wanting one for so long and finally obtaining it... Sad