Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The time has come. 5DII requires mf lenses.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: The time has come. 5DII requires mf lenses. Reply with quote

Talk about how you prefer to focus using mflenses.

1. Split screen.

2. Adapter with confirm.

3. Live view.

Thank you in advance.

I know, Ι know..........just once again.

Recommend accessories [case 1 and 2]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BEST.. all of that. 1 - 3.. Very Happy

So i decided to change my EOS 5D MK 1 to MK II on Christmas.
After that i will change the focusing screen and all works perfect for me.
In some fast situations the splitimage/microprism with my lenses having an AF confirm chip and in not so fast situations LiveView.

Thats all. Each of the helpng tools has his own advantage..
so nothing its the best

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1.

I like the split screen for most applications, when taking snaps on my 5D. However, I'm noticing I still have the hardest time hitting focus when it becomes really crucial, such as when I'm taking these tilt/shift shots:

For these kinds of shots, I really really miss Live View (my K-7 works wonderfully in that sense, but unfortunately, itsn't best suited for shallow DoF shots). I, too, would like to upgrade to MkII, but I'll have to figure out how I can finance the ~$1000 price difference I'm looking at Smile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Contax microprism screen with great success on the 5D. Highly recomend it.

RH I love your miniatures Very Happy
what lens was in play here and the train shot ?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the three options you mention, I find #3 to be the most useful. I'm not a big fan of split screen or microprism focusing. I frequently use long lenses that are somewhat slow -- f/5.6 or slower -- and I have a couple of very fast lenses -- f/1.2. I've found that neither the microprism nor the split screen work well for these apertures, and I have become used to just plain ground glass focusing with my manual-focus cameras. With my squinty-findered XS (1000D), it is more difficult, so I often have to resort to Live View. Your 5D has a bigger finder area, so its screen might work well enough as-is.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
I use a Contax microprism screen with great success on the 5D. Highly recomend it.

RH I love your miniatures Very Happy
what lens was in play here and the train shot ?

I really have to look into the Contax microprism. Perhaps by getting rid of all the excess junk except a clean circle of microprism in the middle might help me with focus.

Thanks for the comment on the shot. This was taken with a Hartblei/Carl Zeiss Superrotator 80mm f2.8 (the new version) Smile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

f/1.2. I've found that neither the microprism nor the split screen work well for these apertures, and I have become used to just plain ground glass focusing with my manual-focus cameras. With my squinty-findered XS (1000D), it is more difficult, so I often have to resort to Live View. Your 5D has a bigger finder area, so its screen might work well enough as-is.

Do you have only the 1000D with such a nice lens collection as i see in your posts.?
Whow. Now i understand why you prefer #3. In this "mouse theater" called viefinder i also could not see much. But i changed the Screen of my "backup" 400D with a HAODA Split/mikroprism screen. This works perfect after a little adjusting.

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hinnerker wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

f/1.2. I've found that neither the microprism nor the split screen work well for these apertures, and I have become used to just plain ground glass focusing with my manual-focus cameras. With my squinty-findered XS (1000D), it is more difficult, so I often have to resort to Live View. Your 5D has a bigger finder area, so its screen might work well enough as-is.

Do you have only the 1000D with such a nice lens collection as i see in your posts.?
Whow. Now i understand why you prefer #3. In this "mouse theater" called viefinder i also could not see much. But i changed the Screen of my "backup" 400D with a HAODA Split/mikroprism screen. This works perfect after a little adjusting.

Yes, my only DSLR is the lowly Canon XS (1000D). I'm a bit financially challenged at the moment, with a kid in college and an income that isn't keeping up with the cost of living. So, I have to make do with what I have. My lens collection contains pieces I acquired twenty or more years ago, to which I've slowly added over the years. I sold a guitar a couple months ago, and used the proceeds to buy a few more nice pieces, otherwise the most I've spent on a lens in recent years has been about $40.

Unless your HAODA screen works differently than all other split/microprism screens I've used, I don't have much use for it. My slow telephotos darken half the split image, and with my 85/1.2, I dunno what it is exactly, but I have the hardest time using the split image and/or microprisms as a focusing aid for it. They just don't seem to respond with much definition. I'll think I've gotten a subject in focus, then when I get the prints and negatives back, everything is out of focus. Frustrating.

Years ago, I got used to shooting with a plain ground glass screen, and I'm still pretty good at it. So I've just come to prefer it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend, first and foremost, that you get Canon's alternative screen for manual focusing.

This will also fix most of exposure shift when stopping down MF lenses.

Then you can also add chipped adapters, or use liveview, but the alternative screen is the basic move (besides, it's really cheap)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Τhank you all. I'll try the Canon's alternative screen as Orio suggested. Cool

Which one would you prefer d or s?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S is the only I have tried
I don't think the Grid screen is high contrast for Manual focus purposes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ordered the Eg-d, it is the Eg-s with grid, very useful for panos.Very Happy

Thank you again for the help.