Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which scanner does 645 natively?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Which scanner does 645 natively? Reply with quote

Which are the AFFORDABLE scanners that do 645 format natively?
I mean scanners that have a holder for 645
that don't need trickery to scan 645

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never personally seen the 645 native film carrier for flatbet scanner,
the most of 120/220 film carriers are just a large film strip holder. It always
has film flatness (to hold) problem, so people insert thin glass (special order item)
for scanning.

Back to the original 645 scanner/film carrier, this is normally solved by
software with human help, which determine the scanning area after pre-scan.
Then the soft automatically scans all the rectangular areas sequentially.
This is true for 6x6, 6x9, and specially for TX-1/2 pano shot too albeit using
35 mm film carrier. So does for 6x17 medium pano shot too I think.

So as long as your scanner can scan 120/220 films, your scanner software
can handle 6x4.5 format too.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current and recent Epsons supposedly do it, but in my experience, they make a terrible mess of it (with misplaced frames except for the first), unless you use the third party Betterscanning ANR holder plus third party software (Vuescan or Silverfast).

The Nikon Coolscan 9000 and predecessors handle 6x4.5 gracefully - but that is about as far from affordable as it can get.

Old small pro grade flatbeds like Agfa Studioscans and their Linotype equivalent can scan literally any format that fits their glass - but the latest of them only go up to 1200dpi, and affordable ones among them generally are SCSI and 600dpi only.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sevo wrote:
The current and recent Epsons supposedly do it, but in my experience, they make a terrible mess of it (with misplaced frames except for the first), unless you use the third party Betterscanning ANR holder plus third party software (Vuescan or Silverfast).

I have used and been using three EPSON flat_bed scanners, it never occurred to me that they misplaced
frames of which I decided the areas to scan. I have never used third party soft for EPSON scanners, EPSON's
software sucks but I only use their very basic part, which works (but slow) without any trouble so far.

...I am not an agent from EPSON, and used NIKON and CANON scanners too in the past....

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, did you go into configuration and select for 6x4.5? Can't imagine
that it wouldn't do a great job. I have the same scanner.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Orio, did you go into configuration and select for 6x4.5? Can't imagine
that it wouldn't do a great job. I have the same scanner.

I don't know, are there such configuration?
And what do you use as holder? Mine has four square holes for 6x6, only.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I just lookedinto Configuration, it turned up that I already had it set to 6x4.5

So why isn't it working.

How do you set the film on the scanning glass?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epson V500. It has a medium format holder which covers all the sizes(up to 6x12), you just need to select the one you need in Epson Scan. As far as I can tell it works well at least with 6x6(I have some pictures in BW gallery, if you need a reference). The only problem you can find are huge files, but if you have more than 1GB ram (2 at least I guess) is no problem anymore. The final scans are IMO more than adequate for web purposes, I never tried to make a print but my guess is that from 645 you can get excellent 18x24 (8x10").

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

Orio, that is the 35mm holder, the 4 holes are for 35mm slides. You should have a holder that has a single opening with a "B" tab on it for medium format. The holder handles two 6x6 up to one 6x12 neg or
slide. You find this holder, your troubles are over.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't have this holder there's a place in Oregon that sells replacement holders (OEM) for pretty cheap. I bought a couple of the
35mm holders and clips as they are so flimsy. The medium format holder
is beefier made.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like we're talking about the same scanner.
Katastrofo wrote:
Orio, that is the 35mm holder, the 4 holes are for 35mm slides. You should have a holder that has a single opening with a "B" tab on it for medium format. The holder handles two 6x6 up to one 6x12 neg or
I made the same mistake, the first time I tried to scan 6x6. The scanner is looking for the film in the wrong section of the plane (the various film formats in the respective holder fall in different areas of the plane) and thus not working as expected.

Cheers, Marty.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marty wrote:
Epson V500. It has a medium format holder which covers all the sizes(up to 6x12), you just need to select the one you need in Epson Scan. As far as I can tell it works well at least with 6x6(I have some pictures in BW gallery, if you need a reference). The only problem you can find are huge files, but if you have more than 1GB ram (2 at least I guess) is no problem anymore. The final scans are IMO more than adequate for web purposes, I never tried to make a print but my guess is that from 645 you can get excellent 18x24 (8x10").

+1

The biggest problem with the holder is that it will cover part of the frame at each end of the four-frame strip (unless there is a wide border at that end).

This is about the best result I have managed to get, it is a 72 dpi crop from the equivalent of an 8.5MP scan on 6x4.5 (it is actually 17MP from 6x9):

That is what a section of a well-exposed 645 film photo from a V500 scan would look like if the entire thing was blown up to a size of about 1.2 metres by 0.9 metres. The film is Reala 100ISO.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say excellent, Paul.

Cheers, Marty.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epson v500

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Epson 4990 (the model the V700/750 replaced), and I find that it gives excellent results when scanning medium format. I do not have a 645 camera, but I measured the MF film holder. Its openings are 5.7cm x 12.2cm. So, if I divide 12.2 by 4.5, I get 2.71, which indicates to me that, especially by the time frame spacing is included, only two 645 images per holder frame opening are possible.

This is nothing new for me. When scanning 6x6 images, that's all I get too. So, I'm quite used to having to reposition the film after scanning once, for a second go-round.

And yes, I find the Epson Scan software to be perfectly adequate for my needs. Often it requires very little in the way of touch-up in post processing.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Orio wrote:

Damn, I think I lost that holder. I don't see it since before I moved here.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found it !!
It was packed with my other (older) scanner by mistake - Monica did pack them.

But dang it cuts a lot off the sides Mad

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I have found it !!

It works well don't worry.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I have found it !!

You might want to consider getting the glass and holder from here http://www.betterscanning.com/

I haven't got it yet but I intend to as I have seen positive comments about the improved quality. I think that it will solve the problem of lost edges.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulC wrote:
Orio wrote:
I have found it !!

You might want to consider getting the glass and holder from here http://www.betterscanning.com/

I haven't got it yet but I intend to as I have seen positive comments about the improved quality. I think that it will solve the problem of lost edges.

Thanks Paul. Laurence gifted me with one of those once, unfortunately it was broken during shipping.