Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

ZeroNoise, How too.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: ZeroNoise, How too. Reply with quote

So I've been reading the Zero Noise guide.
http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17775
Downloaded the ZeroNoise Application and DCraw.

Anyway else care to try and post your works?

Edited:
I found the solution to my +4EV, I understand the 12 clicks.

Sample Image soon.

Last edited by Razster on Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the compiled DCraw from http://www.insflug.org/raw/Downloads/
and I pasted it into c:\dcraw\

Downloaded ZeroNoise from http://www.guillermoluijk.com/software/zeronoise/index.htm
And installed it into c:\DCraw

Also you'll want to put your two photos into the same folder.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAW from Camera

ZeroNoise with curve Adjustment

The Zeronoise image with my curve, brought out the reds which is the color of the leave dying off. (Unable to bring reds out on original like I did with the ZN)
The tonal range is wonderful and the noise is slightly better than the raw.

I still haven't mastered the process so it takes some time, but it is interesting how much different my images look, compared to trying it from Lightroom or Bridge.

Uploading the RAW .TIFF file with both images and curve for those who want to see it - I will have it uploaded shortly, 65mb.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. And the results are impressive.
What I like best is it doesn't look like HDR. It looks like a normal photograph.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Interesting. And the results are impressive.
What I like best is it doesn't look like HDR. It looks like a normal photograph.

Yes this is not like HDR in that there is no tonemapping step to compress the dynamic range.

Also, its not like noise reduction which stacks several, identically exposed images to reduce noise by averaging.

Instead, its like an aggressive expose to the right, not caring about blowing highlights, to get high quality shadow and midrange areas with 1/16th the noise (as +4EV). And then, highlights are taken from the correctly exposed image. So we end up with the overall tonal feel of the correctly exposed image, but with less noise and much more detail in the midrange and shadows.

I downloaded the software and plan to experiment with this over the weekend.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So? Any news on the testing? (Shortly tried myself, but won't run on my Win 7 64 Bit ...)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I manually used this method for about two years but using a +2EV diference which I find out more useful in normally exposed shots. With +4EV you recover just the darkest shadows but noise (even if less pronunced) is also in midtones.
Plus a +4EV brought back to normal exposure usually cause pretty hard shifts in colors that could bleed out from the selection.

What it looks also strange in the example posted is that contrast seems higher than the "normal" image which means that the automated process probably apply a contrast curve to the image as the +2EV (and +4EV even more) brought back to normal exposure is less contrasted than the original shot.