Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax SMC 100/4 Macro - First Images
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Pentax SMC 100/4 Macro - First Images Reply with quote

I obtained this Pentax macro lens a while ago, and I am just now getting around to checking it out.

Not too scientific here, just everyday shots for "real world" usage examples.

Keep in mind that these are not sharpened, they are straight out of the Sigma X3F RAW processor,
and simply saved as jpegs.

Bear in mind that there are apparently many macro lenses that do
well for their function.

My personal scale Rolling Eyes Poor - Average - Good - Very Good - Excellent
Color rendition: Excellent
Sharpness: Good to Very Good
Bokeh at f:4: Excellent
Bokeh at f:11 Average to Good
Ergonomics: Very Good

This lens handles better than the Vivitar Series One 90/2.5 macro,
at least for me.

Going from memory of my impressions (VERY unscientific) from
when I was using the Vivitar, sharpness is equal to the Vivitar.
Bokeh is better than the Vivitar. Color rendition is equal to the
Vivitar. Ergonomics are better than the Vivitar.

This is a typically robust and well-engineered Pentax lens.
It is compact, lightweight, yet feels solid. The huge rubberized
focus ring is great to use. The click-stops are wonderful, and I
can change them positively with just a finger tip.

The lens will extend out to about double its length, providing
a 1:2 macro image. It is not particularly fast, but for macro
shooting I am usually up in the smaller aperture ranges anyway.
A nice feature is that it will stop down to f:32 if needed.

I will shoot true macros and put on them this thread,
just for impressions, as soon as the weather is a bit better.

The Pentax-M mount works very well with the Sigma mount.
No adapter is needed. There is no sloppiness, and it "clicks in" tightly. And, of course, it also fits the Pentax K110D. This lens will be a keeper for me, I'm pretty sure.

The out of focus areas at f:4 are creamy! I feel that the bokeh
is equal to the best of just about any lens available Depth of field
is certainly shallow though, probably no more than a few millimeters.
This is a semi-macro shot at 1:10 or so, about 16 inches away.
I should have focused directly on the closest flower petals;
the point of focus here was on the base of the two upper leaves.
Live and learn. Confused

Bokeh at f:11 is quite nice for that aperture! Still a pretty shallow
depth of field.

Even in this very flat field, there is variation in focus due to the
shallow depth of field. I shot this at f:4 in order to "fuzz out"
the foreground branches. You can still see them as a blur though.
I'm learning that to shoot even a fairly flat subject, it would pay to
push the aperture up to approximately f:8 and beyond whenever possible.

Shooting at f:9.5 in order to increase depth of field seems to have
been enough to keep the dragonfly almost fully in focus. Focus
was centered on the middle "leg". Bokeh is still pleasant; the orange leaves at the bottom left have a very nice fade to them, and don't
look harsh at all.

Focus at f:5.6, again some pleasant fading of focus into the background.
Colors are remarkably true to life.

Depth of field at f:11 only starts to fall-off in the last 2/3 of the
image. For full sharpness throughout, it should have been pushed
up to f:16, f:22, or even f:32 depending on how badly I want the picture.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Pentax SMC 100/4 Macro - First Images Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
I obtained this Pentax macro lens a while ago, and I am just now getting around to checking it out.

Not too scientific here, just everyday shots for "real world" usage examples.

Thanks Laurence for posting these delightful samples of one of my favorite lenses. I entirely second your opinion on the superb color rendering of this lens. The bokeh is also second to none, as it is a true Heliar formula. Like we say in French: Bon sang ne saurait mentir (meaning something like "The apple never falls far from the tree" or "What's bred in the bone will come out in the flesh").

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Pentax SMC 100/4 Macro - First Images Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:

Thanks Laurence for posting these delightful samples of one of my favorite lenses. I entirely second your opinion on the superb color rendering of this lens. The bokeh is also second to none, as it is a true Heliar formula. Like we say in French: Bon sang ne saurait mentir (meaning something like "The apple never falls far from the tree" or "What's bred in the bone will come out in the flesh").

This is a Heliar formula lens grouping? Shocked Wow, that seems unusual for Pentax! That would certainly explain the fantastic bokeh, as one of my old folders with a Heliar lens had some wonderful bokeh.

Thanks for that information!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentax-M mounts directly to Sigma?? No adaptor needed?

Very good shots, congrats!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive, looks like one to look out for, Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Pentax-M mounts directly to Sigma?? No adaptor needed?

Very good shots, congrats!!

Thanks Klaus, for the comment on the quality of the shots. However, they are basically "test shots" and I wasn't going for something elegant. Laughing

It is interesting on the Pentax mounts and their compatibility with Sigma SA mount. I have read a lot of internet information about this issue. Some of the issues were:
1. Fits, but has about 1mm of "looseness".
2. Fits, but doesn't "click in".
3. Fits, but there is a slight difference in base mount thickness, and you can't get infinity.

So...I have the above Pentax 100/4, I have the Pentax 55/1.8, I have the Tokina SD 28-70 in Pentax mount, and I have a Vivitar 100-300 in Pentax mount.

For me:

1. Fits, but has about 1mm of "looseness". NO looseness whatsoever, solid and stable.

2. Fits, but doesn't "click in". All FOUR lenses "click home" and stay.

3. Fits, but there is a slight difference in base mount thickness, and you can't get infinity. Yes, there is a difference, but the fact is, that it is just the opposite of what's generally being said. The focus goes BEYOND infinity, which is no big deal at all to me. I simply "back off" a little until it is in focus. This is most noticeable in the shorter focal lengths. For instance, at 28mm on the Tokina, the actual focal length at closest focus is about 30mm rather than the 28mm where it should be. Other than that, the longer lenses are almost unnoticeable in any variation. The 100/4 goes beyond infinity, but it is so small an amount that if I have to get a "grab" shot, I can just slam it to infinity for almost any f:stop and it will be within the DOF field.

Bear in mind that this experience is for the 4 lenses that I have in Pentax mount. It might not apply to all Pentax lenses, but it seems these 4 lenses I'm talking about, in light of their high variability, would seem to be a good baseline to draw a conclusion that "most" Pentax mounts would be as "no problem" as mine.

That said, I've read internet posts where the author has been "highly disappointed" and "beside himself" just because he had to back off from infinity a very little bit. I don't know...hoop dee doo is all I can say about that. Razz

So, I am pleasantly surprised about the compatibility that I'm seeing, at least so far...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poolhall wrote:
Very impressive, looks like one to look out for, Very Happy

I'm certainly happy with it so far, Poolhall.

Bear in mind that this is an awfully short, incipient "testing". I will be taking "pure" macro shots to see how they do, AND I'll need to be taking some shots in more challenging conditions to really get a handle on how the lens shapes up.

But so far, I like.... Cool

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice samples Larry.
I expect that you will be bringing some real gems with this lens and Foveon.
It is hard to imagine a Foveon sensor in better hands or place to be used.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Great compact lens Reply with quote

This is a great lens. I have purchased mine brand new in the 80's when it was being phased out in favor of Pentax-A lenses after the introduction of the Super Program. If i remember correctly, i paid $159canadian, complete with reversible hood and case.

I do a lot of car show photography, concentrating mainly on small details and this works just great. Have used it less since i have upgraded from 35mm to DSLR as the focal lenght is just a bit long. But in my 35mm days, i used to pair this lens with a Pentax SMC-A 35mm f2.0 for a very compact kit.

I still have the lens and was given Pentax K Extension Tube Set a few weeks ago. I am looking forward to using this combo on my K10d for very close shots Smile

Yes, it's a keeper.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Nice samples Larry.
I expect that you will be bringing some real gems with this lens and Foveon.
It is hard to imagine a Foveon sensor in better hands or place to be used.

Thanks Andy! Smile

The "quality" remains to be seen, at least as far as composition goes...it's up to the photograher in that case. Cool

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Great compact lens Reply with quote

Fabulozzz wrote:
This is a great lens. I have purchased mine brand new in the 80's when it was being phased out in favor of Pentax-A lenses after the introduction of the Super Program. If i remember correctly, i paid $159canadian, complete with reversible hood and case.

I do a lot of car show photography, concentrating mainly on small details and this works just great. Have used it less since i have upgraded from 35mm to DSLR as the focal lenght is just a bit long. But in my 35mm days, i used to pair this lens with a Pentax SMC-A 35mm f2.0 for a very compact kit.

I still have the lens and was given Pentax K Extension Tube Set a few weeks ago. I am looking forward to using this combo on my K10d for very close shots Smile

Yes, it's a keeper.

Based on results so far, I would pay $159. I am still rather shocked that it has the "Heliar" lens grouping. No wonder the f:4 bokeh, and even the f:9 bokeh is very nice.

I look expectantly for your automobile shots now that you have it set up with an adapter!

I purchased this one for $29 off the auction site, but had to wait about 3 months for one to come up so low in price.

Here's a test shot of a metal fence at f:5.6. Not even wide open, but still some beautiful out-of-focus rendering. Shocked And again, the color is spot-on, no adjustment needed.
The bluish metal showing through is equal to what I saw with my eyes.
I also feel that it doesn't really need any sharpening, which is nice.
Focus was on the "heron" of course.

The Sigma sensor does seem to be able to isolate the subject nicely. I don't know that it is "better" than the Bayer sensor, it's simply "different" than the Bayer sensor.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Pentax SMC 100/4 Macro - First Images Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
This is a Heliar formula lens grouping? Shocked Wow, that seems unusual for Pentax! That would certainly explain the fantastic bokeh, as one of my old folders with a Heliar lens had some wonderful bokeh.

Thanks for that information!

You're welcome. The Heliar formula is not so unusual for Pentax, as it has been previously used for the Takumar 58mm F/2.4. A rare lens which is worth hunting down. Here are a few pictures taken with the Takumar 58/2.4 illustrating the fine bokeh:

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz! These are simply gorgeous, not only in the bokeh, but compositionally. I appreciate your fine examples. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Macro Tak 100mm F4 Reply with quote

I was on the lookout for this lens for some time already. Finally found one, an SMC version, serial 7726053, complete, and in mint condition. Quickly made a few test shots...

I am very happy with it, it's a keeper for sure!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering if somebody could give me some advice. I'm looking into this lens as an addition to my Industar 61 L/Z for macro work. Currently I'm using the Industar with a set of 3 M42 extension tubes.

Looking on the web, it looks like the Takumar offers 1:2 magnification without tubes. I'm wondering if I will be able to get more magnification with the tubes than I currently do with my Industar + tubes combination.

Anybody have any insight? Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave_t wrote:
I'm wondering if somebody could give me some advice. I'm looking into this lens as an addition to my Industar 61 L/Z for macro work. Currently I'm using the Industar with a set of 3 M42 extension tubes.

Looking on the web, it looks like the Takumar offers 1:2 magnification without tubes. I'm wondering if I will be able to get more magnification with the tubes than I currently do with my Industar + tubes combination.

Anybody have any insight? Thank you.

There is no limit (other than the physical one) to how close you can get to an object using extension tubes.
Of course, the longer the tube (or row of tubes), the more light you lose. But that happens also with native 1:1 macro lenses (that have "tube" built in).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help with the tubes issue Dave but I have the m42 SMC Takumar version of this lens and would say to my eyes it's every bit as good as the M f4/100, a useful tele as well and a great addition to the Industar 61.
Edit -just looked at it and you are right it is 1:2, there are a couple of samples I took in 'Tulips' in the digital mf gallery under my name

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave_t wrote:

The Takumar is based on a Heliar formula, while the Industar is based on the Tessar. So either lens will deliver good results for macro up to around 1:1 magnification.

Most of macro lenses made before 1980 were Heliar or Tessar clones, thanks to the very good ability of these simple design to retain their correction over a very wide range of distances.

Purely symmetrical lenses (double Gauss formula, like most 50/1.4 or 50/1.8 "normal" lenses) are perfectly corrected for most aberrations but only if the subject and the image plane are both located at the same distance from the lens. For a lens with a focal length of 50mm, it means that the subject should be located only a few centimeters from the front of the lens.

In order for a lens to have good correction at usual object distances (50cm to infinity), the lens designer has to break the symmetry and to modify slightly the curvature of one of the two halves of the lens. Usually, the optimum correction is calculated for a medium distance (3m), but sufficient correction is maintained over the whole distance range of the lens, with slightly degraded results at both ends of the range. However, if the lens is used for macro with extension tubes, then the aberrations will not be fully corrected and the lens will exhibit some nasty defects (coma, lateral chromatic aberration, etc.). That's why the fast normal lenses are usually not good for macro work.

Cheers!

Abbazz