Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

about auto soligor 55mm f1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: about auto soligor 55mm f1.4 Reply with quote

hi all
i have one of auto soligor 55mm f1.4
but i can't see the review of this lens
does anybody have one? Very Happy

i try to upload some picture taken with sony alpha 200

@f1.4

Last edited by firmanakbar on Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: about auto soligor 55mm f1.4 Reply with quote

firmanakbar wrote:
hi all

i try to upload some picture

@f1.4

Welcome to this forum! And I'll quote the pictures because pictures are not shown in a user's first post (anti-spam measure).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: about auto soligor 55mm f1.4 Reply with quote

thx spotmatic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: about auto soligor 55mm f1.4 Reply with quote

firmanakbar wrote:
hi all

Have you pics of lens ?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lens for miranda cams?

Rino.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to here! Many thanks for this nice entry!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its not in Miranda mount its a rare lens !

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post the pics of the lens please.

Thanks. Rino

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
Can you post the pics of the lens please.

Thanks. Rino

here's the pics of auto soligor 55mm f1.4 (M42 mount)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, firmanakbar

It reminds me the chinon (tomioka?) 55/1,4. The serial N° is 74XX, and the serial of the tomioka for cosina was 73xx.

May be a tomioka lens.

Rino.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
Thanks, firmanakbar

It reminds me the chinon (tomioka?) 55/1,4. The serial N° is 74XX, and the serial of the tomioka for cosina was 73xx.

May be a tomioka lens.

Rino.

thx for info Rino

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the Tomioka indeed.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, welcome to MFLenses - and secondly, that's a very nice lens you have there. To my untrained eye, it resembles a Tomioka, so you may have something really special in your hands Wink

The first shots are a little soft, but that may be expected with any fast 50 - stopping down will definitely give you some really spectacular results.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mal1905 wrote:
The first shots are a little soft, but that may be expected with any fast 50 - stopping down will definitely give you some really spectacular results.

I think the only problem is that the focus is off... It's quite hard to focus fast f/1.4 lenses with today's standard ground glass screens as these have their own f/stop (so to say): it looks sharp on the screen but the photo isn't.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
I think the only problem is that the focus is off... It's quite hard to focus fast f/1.4 lenses with today's standard ground glass screens as these have their own f/stop (so to say): it looks sharp on the screen but the photo isn't.

I agree - perhaps the word 'soft' was a little abrasive and harsh! It's a scourge with the 5D, but it's an absolute nightmare with the 20D - a huge % of shots taken will be off the mark in my experience.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lettering on the lens looks like Tomioka style, though bokeh's character
does not seem to be what I expect from Yashica/Tomioka lenses IMO.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never see that in soligor branded Shocked

A real curiosity.

All the 55/1,4 in M42 are tomioka, but I saw galleries where the 55/1,4 mamiya images are very different to the 55/1,4 chinon ones, and both are tomiokas, or not and we are all wrong.

The 50/1,4 soligor-miranda, for miranda mount, were made by WHO?

Had that 55/1,4 soligor any relation with the last 50/1,4?

Well, this game is coming something complicated.

Rino.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice captures, but little soft for me...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
The 50/1,4 soligor-miranda, for miranda mount, were made by WHO? Had that 55/1,4 soligor any relation with the last 50/1,4?
Well, this game is coming something complicated. Rino.

I've read somewhere(!) that Miranda lenses for the Japanese domestic market were made by Kowa. For the U.S. market that may be true for certain periods and for other periods the Miranda branded lenses may have been from whomever A.I.C. (Miranda's owner) dictated. Labeling of Miranda lenses varied through the years with variations of Soligor, Miranda-Soligor, Soligor-Miranda and Miranda. This Soligor 55/1.4 is certainly one I've never heard of before.

I've seen an optical diagram of the Miranda 50/1.4 as an 8 element lens. I don't think the 55/1.4 is any relation to the Miranda lens. The whole Miranda story is quite complex!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

casualcollector wrote:
I've seen an optical diagram of the Miranda 50/1.4 as an 8 element lens.

Yes, I remember this.

I read in Popular Photography, ending '60s or begining '70s (was an

annual book), that the miranda lens 50/1,8 was used by the

...........NASA?????? Shocked Shocked

They didn't say for what. Laughing

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soligor was part of the AIC/ Miranda trust (either their lens making company or just a trade mark) and solely survivor of their bancrupt in 1976. Just before the end, they made M42 lenses too. I have a 85/1.5 Soligor M42 lens which isn't very common either.
Miranda had a nice 50/1.4 lens (8 elements) which was sold also in the last (EE) versions. Maybe they lost the rights on them in the divestiture, so they need to look for others to build. The Zeiss Planar 55/1.4 patent (1959, Johannes Berger), produced for the Contarex, wasn't renewed in the 70's because they got a lens lightyears better, calculated by Glatzel (Planar 50/1.4). Rollei and Mamiya used this older design in the 70's as well (see http://www.taunusreiter.de/Cameras/RolleiflexSL35E.html) -- and had the advantage in sales to be able to sell cameras with them...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taunusreiter wrote:
Soligor was part of the AIC/ Miranda trust (either their lens making company or just a trade mark) and solely survivor of their bancrupt in 1976. Just before the end, they made M42 lenses too. I have a 85/1.5 Soligor M42 lens which isn't very common either....

85/1,5 sold by spiratone too?

taunusreiter wrote:
Miranda had a nice 50/1.4 lens (8 elements) which was sold also in the last (EE) versions. Maybe they lost the rights on them , so they need to look for others to build. The Zeiss Planar 55/1.4 patent (1959, Johannes Berger), produced for the Contarex, wasn't renewed in the 70's because they got a lens lightyears better, calculated by Glatzel (Planar 50/1.4). Rollei and Mamiya used this older design in the 70's as well (see http://www.taunusreiter.de/Cameras/RolleiflexSL35E.html) -- and had the advantage in sales to be able to sell cameras with them...

Great, great site.

To read and learn everyday.

Rino.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamiya's first 55mm/1.4 lenses (M42 mount) were produced in the 1960's, when, presumably, the Zeiss 1959 patent cited above was still in force. Does this mean Mamiya initially violated the patent?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was a patent violation, it wasn't just Mamiya. It was about half the Japanese SLR industry that supplied this lens.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I used a rolleinar (mamiya's rollei lens) 1,4/55, it had neutral to low contrast (pleasant for people) and with some barrel distortion.

The contarex planar 1,4/55 had this characteristics too? I read a german magazine where the planar F/1,4 was described like sharpest than the planar F/2.

The planar and the mamiya 1,4 not seem to be the same lens.

I don´t know the reality, simply it is a speculation.

Rino.