Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I'm without a 50mm! Need a good relatively cheap one.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: I'm without a 50mm! Need a good relatively cheap one. Reply with quote

At one point I owned 4 ~50s:

Helios 44M
Rikenon 50mm 1.4 EE
Canon EF 50mm 1.8 II (AF)
Super Takumar 55mm 1.8

Somehow I traded and gifted (and actually broke the Ricoh Sad) all these lenses away and now I am without a single one. I have found several instances in the last month where I was wanting a 50mm, so I guess I need to get another.

Would like to stay around $100 or less. f1.8 is fast enough, but I want something with character. The Canon AF 50 is decent for $90, but it is just such an average lens and the build is terrible. The Takumar was OK, sharp but boring to me. Liked the character of the Helios, so that may be a decent one to get again. Really liked the IQ and bokeh of the Rikenon EE, but the design of the lens levers means I don't want the same lens again.

So help me out. I want a good 50 with reasonable sharpness at f1.8-2, but also some slight character to the color and bokeh. Am I asking too much for about $100? Should I just get the boring Canon 50?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don´t know why the Tak was boring for you. You have at least 4 different types there 1.4/50, 1.8/55, 2.0/55 and ok only f:4 the 4/50. Each one a great lens.

Whats about the Olympus OM Zuiko 1.8/50 or 1.4/50 ? The Canon 1000D is not such a large cam, could be a good idea concerning the outfit but for the results too

Wink

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a Super - or S-M-C Takumar 1.4/50 at anytime in the USA for less than $100. Look for an old Spotmatic with one, Often they go for under $50.

Another - Ricoh/Sears (look for Sears, they are more common), 1.4/55. Again, an old Sears TLS with one of these will often go for under $30. This model doesn't have the EE linkages. These are the same as your Rikenon.

Takumar 1.8/55's, Mamiya 1.8/55's or 2/50's, Sears/Ricoh 1.7/55's, etc. are all over the place with their respective cameras (or not), for $10 apiece if you look.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you want?
I have a bunch of 50's and live within $10 shipping of you.
If you don't like any on your list it may be hard to get something you do.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have loads of 50s but for some reason keep going back to the Pentacon 50/1.8 and the Helios 44M-4...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rereading my post it sounds like I am hard to please, but I really am not. I wouldn't say I disliked any of the lenses I had, but I just found I never used the super Takumar 55 when I had the Helios. The Helios had more interesting color and bokeh. I liked my Rikenon, but I broke it trying to self service it. And I just gave the Helios to my sister before that. The Canon really is nothing special, just sharp past f2.5, but boring bokeh and color.

So I guess it sounds like I really like the Helios. But it seems like such a cheap lens, I though there must be something out there I am missing. Maybe there isn't.

I'll check out that pentacon, too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my fave is: S-M-C Takumar 1.4/50mm ( very different character than the 1.8/55 )
others I'd recommend: Helios 44 / 44-2 / 44-3 or Auto Tak 2/55 or Yashica 1.7/50

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yashica 50/2 or 50/1.9 is absolutely the best bang for your buck. I have a test at http://www.prime35.com/yashica-ml-50mm-f-1-9/

They do the swirly bokeh thing just like Helios-44, but without its drastic sharpness falloff towards the corners and with excellent contrast straight from wide open. If you liked your Helios, you'll love these Yashicas. (I bought mine for $20 and $12 respectively).

Otherwise, both S-M-C Takumar 50/1.4 (more expensive) and all versions of 55/1.8 and 55/2 (less expensive) are superb. Nikkors 50/1.8 are great but cost quite a bit, probably owing to the fact they can be mounted on many Nikon digital bodies with full metering capabilities.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a test, in this forum, with images taken with 1,4 super tak, 1,4 rokkor, 1,4 olympus and 1,4 nikkor.

All of them are superb.

My personal favorites : S-M-C 1,4 tak and if you like 1,8, the pancolar MC or the very cheap and very good pentacon MC.

Rino.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
Yashica 50/2 or 50/1.9 is absolutely the best bang for your buck. I have a test at http://www.prime35.com/yashica-ml-50mm-f-1-9/

They do the swirly bokeh thing just like Helios-44, but without its drastic sharpness falloff towards the corners and with excellent contrast straight from wide open. If you liked your Helios, you'll love these Yashicas. (I bought mine for $20 and $12 respectively).

Otherwise, both S-M-C Takumar 50/1.4 (more expensive) and all versions of 55/1.8 and 55/2 (less expensive) are superb. Nikkors 50/1.8 are great but cost quite a bit, probably owing to the fact they can be mounted on many Nikon digital bodies with full metering capabilities.

Thanks, and great web link. Those results look excellent.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolar 50/1.8 has loads of character

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of nice 50mm's to choose from, depending on what you like. My personal favourites in M42 mount are the Fujinons and S-M-C Takumars, both 50mm f/1.4 and 55mm f/1.8 of each. All can be had quite cheaply if you look for them together with a camera body (Fujica or Spotmatic) instead of separately. If you find the Takumars boring, try the Fujinons—they have more interesting colours and bokeh, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkbslc wrote:
I guess it sounds like I really like the Helios. But it seems like such a cheap lens, I though there must be something out there I am missing. Maybe there isn't.

Nope. There's something that all the others who don't have a Helios or two are missing. Wink

The Takumar 50mm Macros are pretty exciting too, especially the 1:1 with its star-shaped iris. But they're max f4 from memory. Maybe you need 2 50mms? Razz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I can't imagine being without a 50mm. I have 9 at the moment. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first joined this forum, I have no idea why people here have more than 1 copy of 50mm. In the past 50mm was not my favourite length either. Now, I have quite a few 50s. If you like what you gotten in the past from the Helios, go for it. You can actually get quite a few for your budget.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:
There are plenty of nice 50mm's to choose from, depending on what you like. My personal favourites in M42 mount are the Fujinons and S-M-C Takumars, both 50mm f/1.4 and 55mm f/1.8 of each. All can be had quite cheaply if you look for them together with a camera body (Fujica or Spotmatic) instead of separately. If you find the Takumars boring, try the Fujinons—they have more interesting colours and bokeh, in my opinion.

Are m42 Fujinon lenses usable on any m42 body or m42 Eos adapter ring? I can't use a EBC Fujinon 55mm 1.8, the aperture ring got stuck.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:
When I first joined this forum, I have no idea why people here have more than 1 copy of 50mm. In the past 50mm was not my favourite length either. Now, I have quite a few 50s.

I blame eBay generally and camera sets in particular. That and curiosity. I've got 18 50mms, plus a couple of 55s and a 58. Minolta, Pentax, CZJ, Meyer Optik, Olympus, Chinon, Yashica, Ricoh, Cosina, Zenit... I'm a glass-polygamist. Embarassed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fav is the Leica Summicron-R 2/50, but this will be too expensive.

For US$100,- you can find one of these lenses that I really like

- Nikkor-S.C 1.4/50
- OM Zuiko 1.4/50
- Tak 1.4/50

None of which will be disappointing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klarth wrote:
Are m42 Fujinon lenses usable on any m42 body or m42 Eos adapter ring? I can't use a EBC Fujinon 55mm 1.8, the aperture ring got stuck.

Most Fujinons have automatic aperture control only, so you need an adapter which presses down the aperture actuator pin, or you need to modify the lens. Almost all Fujinons are very easy to modify for manual aperture non-destructively, but unfortunately the 55mm f/1.8 is an exception—hard to open, needs to be disassembled from the front to access aperture pin.

Another possible problem (which can lead to “stuck” aperture ring) is the open-aperture system some of these lenses have; there's a little protrusion on the aperture ring, and it may keep the ring from turning if screwed onto an M42 adapter. Solutions are either to file down the protrusion (losing open-aperture functionality on some Fujica bodies, but otherwise no effect on behaviour) or to cut a piece off the M42 adapter.

So, admittedly these may be bit tricky to use on digital. No problems with most M42 film bodies.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a M42 Rikenon/Mamiya 1.4/55mm, maybe one of the best.
Also very good ones are Zuiko 1.4/50mm or Yashinon M42 DS-M 1.4/50mm.
CZJ Pancolars are also very good, but often yellowing your image, so you have to correct your image results in terms of that. In terms of Bokeh, then you have to look for a Zebra Version with 8blades. Most of them only have 6blades.

I did have all of them in various versions. Now i have my Leica Summilux 1.4/50mm and the others are gone.
If you look for a very good and cheap one, which you also can use on a FF Body, try Rikenon/Mamya and Zuiko 1.4s. For Zuiko, look for a late serialnumber obove 1.000.000

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the OM 1.4/50mm more often above serial number 1.100.000 is mentioned ( not 1.000.000 )
bokeh and corner sharpness are reportedly not it's strong points

OM 50mm comparison tests:
http://omexperience.wordpress.com/comparisons-thoughts-misc/zuiko-50mm-shoot-out/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsuominen/sets/72157608819269041/

edit: buy a handfull, and some odd one too! - 50mm lenses are good, fast, rel. cheap, of varying characters - for me the most enjoyable lenses Wink

Last edited by kuuan on Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:56 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
for the OM 1.4/50mm more often above serial number 1.100.000 is mentioned ( not 1.000.000 )
bokeh and corner sharpness are reportedly not it's strong points]

Andreas, you are right with 1.100.000 or above.. but in terms of corner sharpness not.

I did own a copy with a # less then 1.100.000.. the lens was sharp from edge to edge on a Canon FF EOS 5D.
In terms of bokeh its like always a matter of taste. I prefer my Summilux or the Summicron in that terms. The 1.4/55mm Auto Rikenon deliver both, a nice Bokeh and excellent sharpness in the corners.

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
My fav is the Leica Summicron-R 2/50, but this will be too expensive.

For US$100,- you can find one of these lenses that I really like

- Nikkor-S.C 1.4/50
- OM Zuiko 1.4/50
- Tak 1.4/50

None of which will be disappointing.

Very good lenses, specially the first.

But if you like RF, you can use my favorite of all 50 mm, summicron M (if you can, the 1969 version). Wink

Rino.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hinnerker wrote:
Try a M42 Mamiya 1.4/55mm, maybe one of the best.
Henry

Hi Henry. I had bad luck with my copy of the mamiya/sekor DTL version 1,4/55 mm. I found it in the low contrast side, with good details.

My copy of S-M-C 1,4/50 (not yellowish) is better to me, with more contrast and better resolution.

AS you like Leica (me too, who not?), the S-M-C 1,4's rendering is similar to the summilux M -1966 version-.

Congrat for your summilux R 50.

Rino.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have too many 50's in my stash. Shocked

Mamiya-Sekor made a nice old 50mm M42 which is very sharp and quite contrasty.