Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What to do when threads are gone?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: What to do when threads are gone? Reply with quote

The threads on these small, small, small screws in my Super-Takumar 135 are gone, what to do? You might think this blasphemous, but I'm thinking about superglue :p

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the purpose of the screws is to lock the barrel against horizontal force, you might get away with screw fastener (a mild variant of superglue hardening when in a thin layer between metal surfaces). If the screws have to withstand vertical force, you'll have to get replacements - regular superglue would prevent any future disassembly, and might propagate into the lens to create fume deposits on the lens surfaces or jam the helicoid or aperture mechanisms.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use slightly larger self-tapping screws

OR

drill and tap holes in new positions for new screws.

I've tried the first option - it worked - but I don't have any experience of the second.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sevo wrote:
If the purpose of the screws is to lock the barrel against horizontal force, you might get away with screw fastener (a mild variant of superglue hardening when in a thin layer between metal surfaces).

Loctite 222?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John (Sichko) is right slightly larger self tapping screws -if you can get them -are the answer, otherwise really you need to re tap the threads and replace the screws which can be done but is really fiddly and slow. I would definitely avoid the superglue method Matthias as Sevo says that would lead to a whole crop of other problems Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Loctite 222?

Ahh, that's the thing I've been looking for but didn't know the name Smile

The other version sounds a bit to hard for me, I'm not very technical Wink

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always also look for a copy with destroyed glass or barrel, and just use it for parts (ie. the screws).

There are also special tools for threading metal, but it might be very hard to find them for so very small screws. i have a regular size set which enables me to make bolts with the exact thread size i want, but it only works if the metal shaft has a diameter around minimum 5mm..

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

larsr wrote:
You could always also look for a copy with destroyed glass or barrel, and just use it for parts (ie. the screws).

There are also special tools for threading metal, but it might be very hard to find them for so very small screws. i have a regular size set which enables me to make bolts with the exact thread size i want, but it only works if the metal shaft has a diameter around minimum 5mm..

There are very small taps available on eBay. I've never tried them, or any very small ones, I'm not sure how you hold them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The taps or milling tools I have look like this:

that exact kit is used to make bolts and nuts for tires, but there are similar precision tools available to make smaller threads, too. you hopefully get the idea on how you use them :)