Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon 50mm f/0.90
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Canon 50mm f/0.90 Reply with quote

I saw one last week, at a local shop, mounted on a Canon camera.
I only have to sey one thing: IMPRESSIVE Shocked
I could not imagine that lens was SO large.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what was the price?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supahmario wrote:
what was the price?

I did not dare to ask !! Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Canon 50mm f/0.90 Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

I wonder what you saw, I only know the 0.95/50mm Canon for their "7" model, was it that one?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably it was this one...0.95 http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_F4d7OWiFyMg/R-5ZO-bUOYI/AAAAAAAAAz0/MOJSf_FtR8c/s320/leica_canon_095.jpg (photo taken from google images)

Thats so fast as it would be made for x-ray machines:)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I would like to try one.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not 100% about the ninety thing
The lens that I saw, had silver barrel, not black. And it was attached to a Canon camera, not a Leica.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how is usually looks like (borrowed from our member taunusreiter):

A pure chrome version I haven't seen yet. Many of these are adapted to Leica as a (much cheaper) Noctilux replacement and for the effect I guess.
The lens is not really that sharp, the f1.2 and f1.4 of that series are reportedly much better.

If it needs to be even faster (and bigger), how about that one then...

(but that's a Xray lens again...)

Really useful however is that one, with "perfect bokeh" iris:

Last edited by kds315* on Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:27 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaus I think the first you show is what I saw.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not uncommon Orio and still fetches around $1000 these days, mostly for conversion (or converted) to Leica.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway for as impressive as it was, it was nothing compared to a HUGE Nikon fisheye lens I saw at a used camera fair a couple of years ago. The diameter was, like, half a meter, maybe more!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio I think you are talking about nikkor 6mm?

this one?

This thing is scary.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some years ago, I owned a Canon 50mm f/0.95. I tried it out with a Canon P rangefinder I also owned at the time. All I can say about the lens's performance, especially wide open, was that it would not have been acceptable except for the fact that exposures were taking place at improbably low light values. Otherwise, it was not of much use. Even stopped down, the exposures were nothing better than accetable.

Still, it is a very cool optic, from a collectible standpoint. And any serious Canon rf collector -- of which there seem to be an increasingly greater number -- will want one in his collection.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darosk wrote:

this one?

This thing is scary.

The only really scary fact about that one is a) its price of around 25.000, b) its weight and size and c) to get your feet out of the shot since it has 220 degrees FOV.

I had it, but sold it later, due to b+c.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's it Smile
Impressive beast. I wonder why the glass size had to be SO large.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Canon 50mm f/0.90 Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

Theres one on ebay right now, including a Canon rangefinder camera for £700:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canon-7-50mm-f0-95-Noctilux-lens-Mint-Condition_W0QQitemZ150378559150QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Photography_Film_Cameras_ET?hash=item230342b6ae&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Canon 50mm f/0.90 Reply with quote

DSG wrote:
Orio wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canon-7-50mm-f0-95-Noctilux-lens-Mint-Condition_W0QQitemZ150378559150QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Photography_Film_Cameras_ET?hash=item230342b6ae&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

This eBay listing made me smile - "Canon Noctilux"! But perhaps the vendor will create a new generic term for ultra-fast lenses ... Back in the "good old days" of the 1960s it was called the "Canon Dream", although I think that was a name the photo press may have adopted.

I never owned one but used a borrowed one a few times on a Canon 7. Performance was, er how best to decribe it? Well, pretty good for an f0.95 lens in the early 60s Smile Shots in badly lit places were certainly printable, and the wide aperture held off camera shake, but it certainly wasn't something you'd buy if you wanted high contrast. flare free negs that were pin-sharp from corner to corner. Horses for course as we used to say.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Canon 50mm f/0.90 Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
DSG wrote:
Orio wrote:

This eBay listing made me smile - "Canon Noctilux"! But perhaps the vendor will create a new generic term for ultra-fast lenses ... Back in the "good old days" of the 1960s it was called the "Canon Dream", although I think that was a name the photo press may have adopted.

I never owned one but used a borrowed one a few times on a Canon 7. Performance was, er how best to decribe it? Well, pretty good for an f0.95 lens in the early 60s Smile Shots in badly lit places were certainly printable, and the wide aperture held off camera shake, but it certainly wasn't something you'd buy if you wanted high contrast. flare free negs that were pin-sharp from corner to corner. Horses for course as we used to say.

Its also very expensive considering you can get a brand new Voightlander Nokton 50mm f1.1 for over £100 less!:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Voigtlander-50mm-F1-1-Nokton-50-f-1-1-Leica-M-mount_W0QQitemZ230385860790QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraLensesFilters_JN?hash=item35a41140b6&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to have this lens and the canon 7 cam. One of my dreams.

If don't remember wrong, the lens had a special bokeh that was the characteristic of it. Specially wide open.

And the canon 7 in the pic, wow !!!

Noctilux (the warmer leica lens) and the canon 0,95 will stay with me some day, I love the great gun lenses.

Rino.-

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
darosk wrote:

this one?

This thing is scary.

The only really scary fact about that one is a) its price of around 25.000, b) its weight and size and c) to get your feet out of the shot since it has 220 degrees FOV.

I had it, but sold it later, due to b+c.

Just wondering if you have shots from this beast that you can share?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Canon 50mm f/0.90 Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:

On eBay, any plastic "toy camera" is described as a "Lomo" these days!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaus, Your gear look good. I'll try the one from my friend before I buy. I've any questions about comparing with Leica Noc 50/0.95.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Canon 50/0.95 has a very bad reputation, usually spread by people who have never used one or by disappointed users who have tried in vain to get a properly focused picture wide open on their Leica. In fact, when I manage to nail the focus, it's not a bad lens at all, even wide open, when you consider its aperture of F/0.95, meaning that the diameter of the lens is actually larger than its focal length! Of course the bokeh gets a bit wild on close focus, but the lens is perfectly usable wide open to shoot a performance in low light on a Micro 4/3rds camera.

Here is an old sample taken on film with the Bessa R3M rangefinder:

F/0.95

And a few pictures taken recently with the Olympus E-P1 Micro 4/3rds digital camera:

F/5.6

F2.0

F/0.95

F/0.95

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz, it's great to have you here!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Abbazz, it's great to have you here!

Thanks, Carsten. I have been quite busy lately. Not much time for roaming the forums.

Cheers!

Abbazz