Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Industar-61L/Z 50mm f/2.8 Macro
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Industar-61L/Z 50mm f/2.8 Macro Reply with quote

I've been trying some new things since I got this lens.

Trying to focus in on an object that close is a tedious process. These two is taken at f/11 on a set of M42 extension tubes.

This was taken at about f/8, less the 29mm tube.

Couldn't get much faster than 1/20th of a second with all the tubes and trying to keep the depth of focus reasonable.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done Dave.

Number 3 is very good.
But in the two others we see clearly the subject in the water drop.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine images- very impressive, do I see the Dalibor Tower in there? Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poolhall wrote:
Fine images- very impressive, do I see the Dalibor Tower in there? Shocked

Indeed it is, although I'm not too happy with how it ended up stretching in the image. I'm still working on how to get everything to work as I would like it to.

Olivier wrote:
Nicely done Dave.

Number 3 is very good.
But in the two others we see clearly the subject in the water drop.

Thank you. Number 3 is also my favorite so far, at 100% crop you can see the subject as well, I had no idea how close I would need to get in order for this to work initially.

Here are some more recent attempts, both with the Industar at f/11. I've heard of focus stacking, unfortunately on these kinds of subjects it doesn't work as the branches/drops are constantly moving. Fortunately I'm starting to get a better idea of what works and what doesn't. Unfortunately, the light is running out in the Czech Republic and I'm stuck at work 8 hours a day. Both taken about 45-60 minutes after sunrise.

thanks for the comments.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great series! I try to do that and it is not easy at all

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
great series! I try to do that and it is not easy at all

Poilu,

You have to train a lot to get this result and, so, you must have very good weather conditions.

Unfortunately, in Greece, you can't train seriously.
Not enough wet, my friend...

Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wet ... with little to no wind, otherwise it flies all over the place. I just wish that some blue skies would be in the pictures as well, with some nice big puffy clouds ... there's always 2010. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great series Dave Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, I live in a place near the "channel", just before the northern sea begins.
Well, it's very windy, often very cloudy and it is wet.

But we have wonderful suns falling in the sea, just under great dark huge clouds, you know these Bruegel skies.
And as soon as we have sunny weather with blue sky, we go out.
And when it's grey, well, we have very special lights which are a bargain for photographers.

Poilu has many other advantages. That's sure too !

Let's enjoy where we live, and share what we live. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo Olivier - for the sentiments and the pictures. Tough getting those just right and seems to me you have done a great job

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive macros (and lens) really like the reflections in the 2nd and
last shots.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the 2nd image.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Bravo Olivier - for the sentiments and the pictures. Tough getting those just right and seems to me you have done a great job
patrickh

Thank you Patrickh,

But let us give back to Dave what belongs to Dave, the emperor of drops. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all again for the comments, I have no problems with the topics deviating to whatever people feel like talking about. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody have any clue regarding what the maximum number of extension tubes I can use with this lens is?

While the DOF would be razor thin, I'd like to try and get a bit more magnification, just to see the effect. I find that the out of focus objects (the branches/buds) are not in focus enough to look appealing, while at the same time sitting on a line where they aren't out of focus enough either.

I'll probably just get another set and see what I can do, but I'm already working in close quarters and was wondering if anybody could give me an idea of how much closer I can expect to get.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 Smile

I'm sure about those 3 ones :
http://forum.mflenses.com/bnib-original-zenit-extension-tubes-m42-t16537.html

Shrek too the second picture with Industar 2/50 and the 3 tubes together.

If you wish some other samples (but with jupiter-9). The 3 tubes together work too :
http://forum.mflenses.com/bnib-original-zenit-extension-tube-set-t16756,highlight,extension+tube.html

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so since I'm already using 3, I'm assuming that I can't get any closer?

Smile

Nice pictures btw.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A flash will let you go to f/16ish and sometimes smaller, depending. If the tubes aren't getting you close enough, you could always flip a 50mm via a reverse ring. I did a few like that earlier this year:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/haleyluna/sets/72157616258202809/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip, but from what I've read, it doesn't seem like a reversed lens solution would be as versatile as I'm looking for, but your shots do make it look as though the dof is more well controlled.

Really nice pictures you have on your stream.