Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My Leica 180 APO arrived today
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: My Leica 180 APO arrived today Reply with quote

My 180 arrived today Very Happy

The lens is in perfect condition, i had heard that these lenses are quite fragile due to the Fluorite glass, apparently they chip very easily.. But this one looks like new.

The leather lens case is excellent as well, though it says E.Leitz Inc, New York !

These shots were taken with my Other SD14 and my new Zeiss Pancolar 80.

Both were 13 second exposures @ f11 ISO100.

Hopefully i will have time tomorrow to take some shots with the new lens.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the lens, you're set for a VERY good time !!! Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Congratulations! That's an excellent lens.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally i have been able to take the 180 out for some testing.

It is Spring here in Australia and we have fortunately had a little rain so color is springing up everywhere.

All shots taken wide open except for the f8 shot listed.. All shots processed in Silky Pix, no sharpening applied.

I love how Silky Pix handles the color in these shots...

Caught this guy taking a bath, unfortunately my focus was just off..

This shot @f8, scaled down it looses it's impact,

I have found that i am able to focus more accurately with this lens than most, i get a much higher hit rate.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! That looks to be quite a compact lens for a 180/2.8. Sure looks a lot smaller than the 180/2.8 Nikkor.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Very nice! That looks to be quite a compact lens for a 180/2.8. Sure looks a lot smaller than the 180/2.8 Nikkor.

Hi Cooltouch,

The lens is a 180 f3.4 APO, i don't know how compact the Nikon's are, but yes, this is a nice compact well balanced lens, and regarded as one of the sharpest lenses available at infinity.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yummy lens. I'm jealous, no crimson rosellas in my area to take pics of.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have plenty of parrots..(snowy mountain area)...Just have to get the camera/lens to capture the birdlife...King parrots ,Superb blue wrens,galahs,cockatoos,Finchs...and some ugly sqawking birds that I do not know the names of but amazing blue eye rings.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpo83 wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

Hi Cooltouch,

The lens is a 180 f3.4 APO, i don't know how compact the Nikon's are, but yes, this is a nice compact well balanced lens, and regarded as one of the sharpest lenses available at infinity.

DOH! I guess I have 180/2.8s on the brain. I would not typically associate the term "compact" with the Nikkor 180/2.8. Cool Given that yours is only about 1/2 stop away from that, though, I'd still have to say it's compact.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats! superb samples

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoFo, if the bird is white and a little bit smaller then a cockatoo I'd be guessing it is a corella, there are long billed and short billed corellas and they are right proper loonies.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it is I think a honey eater long beak,Black scrawny head.I have a photo somewhere in my collection.Yes the corellas are mad and destructive and ugly!.
rpo83 any more bird shots?I liked the one having a bath...right time right moment Smile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are a few more taken at my parent's home.

These are taken with the Leica 180...

Is this the noisy honey eater??

Deciding whether to test the water..

Bath Time, making a hell of a mess....

Kookaburra looking on in amusement

Here are some taken at Grants reserve in Kalista, the cockatoo's are currently a nuisance for residents, they are to well fed and bored, so they have taken to destroying local buildings, as you can see they bite steel signs and they are eating most of the softwood.

Some taken with Pentacon 128/2.8MC and a couple with my 15-30 AF Sigma lens.

The next 3 were taken with the Pentacon, some of the few that were in focus...

Very docile and comfortable around humans..

Hmmm, this steel looks tasty..

These last 3 were taken with my Auto-Focus Sigma lens @30mm

This guy was full of personality..

At the end of a long day...

Hope you enjoy them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful pictures!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That leica is a very desirable lens - I too am very jealous

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoFo, you might be thinking of one of the wattlebirds, have a peak here and see if they turn up. They tend to be pretty noisy and there are a couple with blue face markings.
http://www.birdsinbackyards.net/finder/index.cfm?searchterm=Wattlebird&method=search

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One word - GORGEOUS!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

Having now seen these lenses side by side: the Leica APO 180/3.4 is much narrower, about as long or perhaps a little longer, than the Nikkor 180/2.8 ED AIS.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xjjohnno
Fantastic...yes the wattle bird!! Great bird site by the way thanks for posting it.We have a very scraggly gum of some sort which these wattle birds love.

rpo83...keep them coming....

Is there a poor mans version of this lens?for bird photography.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoFo, keep your eyes open for the Tair 300A or perhaps the Tair 300mm PhotoSnaiper. I posted pics from the 300A in the oversized gallery. It will get you in a lot closer then a 180mm lens.
There is one on Ebay finishing in 3 days time.
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup agree with John,

The 180 is a little short, even on my 1.7 crop body.

I have bought a 640mm Novoflex from a member here, but it seems that Canada Post have lost it!! Hopefully it will turn up. The 200mm Novoflex i have is great very fast focusing with the pistol grip, lookout for these as sometimes you will se them cheap.

I have never done much bird photography before these shots, but i can see how it could become addictive..