Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Voigtlaender Apo-Lanthar 90mm F 3.5 SL Close Focus
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Voigtlaender Apo-Lanthar 90mm F 3.5 SL Close Focus Reply with quote

I purchased this lens from Klaus. It arrived today.
I first was impressed by it at looking some portraits that Patrick made.
Last month, I tried it shortly, borrowing it from Chris.
Now I bought it, and did not have the time to really try it, I just made one test shot from the tower, and the result is -wow-
I can read into it even the smallest details, in spite of the distance (hill is maybe 1km distance).
Perhaps it is my best lens for resolving power. For sure it is the lens that I would use if I had to make a paid work where tiniest details are important.
Here's my one test shot of today, first resized then full size. Click on the link:
http://www.oriofoto.net/temp/voigtlaender_apo.htm

P.S. it is hand-held
P.P.S. don't judge on trees and grass, there was a strong wind.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey , congrats!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Hey , congrats!!

It's a fantastic lens, I really wish one day I can also buy the macro one.
Cosina really made a great job.
Based on the reviews I read, it really seems that these Cosina/Voigtlaender lenses are optically better than the new Z series Zeiss lenses. It's a pity that they were discontinued.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio

I am so pleased for you - I know you are going to show us what this lens can really do. I love mine and it is already showing minimal signs of "wear" (some slight rubbing from being caressed! Very Happy Very Happy )

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, Orio, for the first of the series. Now, may I suggest you try the 180/4 for an even bigger surprise... By the way, I still don't understand why it took you so long to get initiated to the Cosina/Voigländer magic Wink.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: Voigtlaender Apo-Lanthar 90mm F 3.5 SL Close Focus Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I purchased this lens from Klaus. It arrived today.

Congratulations on your new lens. I'm sure you will like it.

Orio wrote:
I first was impressed by it at looking some portraits that Patrick made.
Last month, I tried it shortly, borrowing it from Chris.

Always good to try on your own equipment, not only to see the results and to know how you took the photo, but also to see how it feels when focusing, how well it is made, and so on.

I could tell you liked it, at the time Smile

Orio wrote:
Now I bought it, and did not have the time to really try it, I just made one test shot from the tower, and the result is -wow-
I can read into it even the smallest details, in spite of the distance (hill is maybe 1km distance).
Perhaps it is my best lens for resolving power. For sure it is the lens that I would use if I had to make a paid work where tiniest details are important.
Here's my one test shot of today, first resized then full size. Click on the link:
http://www.oriofoto.net/temp/voigtlaender_apo.htm

P.S. it is hand-held
P.P.S. don't judge on trees and grass, there was a strong wind.

Yes, an impressively clear result! Looking forward to your further explorations.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats! impressive details!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
By the way, I still don't understand why it took you so long to get initiated to the Cosina/Voigländer magic Wink.
Cheers!
Abbazz

The reason was simply because they were new lenses, and priced such. For the same reason, I still haven't bought a Z lens from Zeiss yet.
I try to optimize my resources and so I always can find better deals in the used lenses.
In this case, I was aware that there are less and less of these Lanthars available, and I wanted one before they become impossible to find, or too absurdely priced.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally have not seen a better resolving lens... The detail is amazing. I just passed on one of these in a Pentax mount and now I am kicking myself big time!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the original lens hood... but it's not really needed.
Here's pictures taken with the sunlight just outside of the image frame. One of these two pictures has a generic hood screwed in. The difference is minimal, and mostly due to the different exposure (I did not think of shooting with the same shutter time). Can you tell which one of the pictures had the hood on?:

The following picture was taken with the sun in the frame. Stopped down to f/11. Yet, no visible iris ghost in the image. And the shadow parts are still very reasonably contrasted:

I saw coating performance like this only in the very best of the Contax lenses.
-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The picture on the right has the hood on Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, iut makes me very happy to see you happy Orio!!

The perfomance is indeed stunning having just looked at your high resolution image. The details
even in the smallest tiles pop out razor sharp but also teh contrast is very good due to a fine multicoating,
which can be nicely seen here:

I made the big mistake to have sold my first all new and complete set incl. sunshade, so I decided
to buy that lens again, whenever I had the chance to - well you have it now and I see it is in
good hands!!

But I have found and bought two others with Nikon mount, just in case....
the pic is from one of them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:
The picture on the right has the hood on Rolling Eyes

Picture on the left has hood. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing flare resistance!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, that seems to be a real keeper.

Klaus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Orio!
One if the finest at this FL.

I have the rangefinder version as well as M42.
The rf one I got for $250 shipped.
The only other option for an APO 90 in RF is from leica and 10 times the price. Of course 1.5 stops faster and maybe better build.

Anyway the point is. This lens is a true value at it's moderate cost.