Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fomapan (Foma) film, Wephota film
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:03 am    Post subject: Fomapan (Foma) film, Wephota film Reply with quote

Do you have any idea about difference between this 2 films? I think that they are the same, but right one is for export only.

Photo - courtesy of B&H, ebay seller films-festival

Last edited by voytek on Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they should be the same, but sold through Freestyle it is also packaged as "Arista EDU Ultra", $2.29 a pop...

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/190120-Arista-EDU-Ultra-BandW-100-iso-120-size?cat_id=403

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. But does anybody have any experience with Arista?
In description states
Quote:
Arista.EDU Ultra represents your best value in B&W film and photographic paper for schools, students and education

It means information about performance or this is coincidence only?
What is a source of information that Arista film this is Foma under secondary brand?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the occasion to use some cheap Czech 35mm B&W film over twenty years ago, and actually liked it a lot. It was high-contrast and grainy, but this resulted in a very cool effect and I didn't mind it at all.

Chances are this new stuff is quite a bit "better." Let us know what you think of it, if you try it out.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voytek wrote:
Thanks. But does anybody have any experience with Arista?
In description states
Quote:
Arista.EDU Ultra represents your best value in B&W film and photographic paper for schools, students and education

It means information about performance or this is coincidence only?
What is a source of information that Arista film this is Foma under secondary brand?

Foma is the only film manufacturer in the Czech Republic so it cannot be anybody else.

OEM suppliers to wholesalers and retailers can supply the same product under different packagings at much lower prices. When I visited the shop, the Foma and Arista Ultra EDU sheet films actually use the same packaging, the only difference is the label sticker on the box. It is this low price that allows Freestyle to promote the Arista EDU Ultra-branded films on price. Perhaps it is a contractual obligation that Foma insisted that a portion of the film sold by Freestyle needs to be under the Foma label.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made some search and found this http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2509
Well, lets try this one too

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voytek wrote:
I made some search and found this http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2509
Well, lets try this one too

That is an old thread and the industry had changed a lot: Forte had ceased trading since. There again, film is not very costly, you'd just be as well get a small quantity of both sorts of Foma and the Arista EDU Ultra for a comparison test, if they are indeed identical, just get it from the seller who offers you the best deal.

For me I tend to do that too: say for example, the local Aldi discount supermarket sells most products under their own label, but source them from other manufacturers. I know for certain that the Aldi private label spaghetti is supplied by a good maker, only the packaging is different and at a lower price, so I have no problem getting that instead and saving a few cents along the way too.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Fomapan (Foma) film Reply with quote

I'd go for older packaging. By the way films-festival has a great choice of films if i recall correct Cool

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't answer your question, but I had 2 rolls from B&H and the experience turned me to a fomaholic. Next time I need developer I think I'll get some Foma from freestyle. (Unfortunately I have a whole brick of Delta 100 to work through)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
I can't answer your question, but I had 2 rolls from B&H and the experience turned me to a fomaholic. Next time I need developer I think I'll get some Foma from freestyle. (Unfortunately I have a whole brick of Delta 100 to work through)

When you spend your Delta stock -- go to visit this page:

http://www.fomafoto.com/

tf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:

How do you process your Foma films?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've mostly souped in Rodinal/(old) R09 so far plus some D76 that probably oxidized as I didn't mix the entire 5l at once.

Foma produces a Rodinal clone in the form of Fomadon (new) R09 and a D76(d) clone in the form of Fomadon P. Then they make a "fine grain developer" that's their equivalent of XTOL, called Fomadon Excel.

These sell very cheaply (I'll soon start digging into my hoarded pile of Fomadon P and Excel). Their fixer is also cheap, and I especially like that most of their products are sold as dry packets that make 1l of solution, so one can mix as much as one need without fear of oxidizing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used just three rolls of Arista Edu 100, so take that for what its worth -

I find it exceptionally good film. Its very high contrast, at least as developed by my favorite processor here in San Francisco. I don't miss the old Kodak Plus-X with this.

http://forum.mflenses.com/franka-rolfix-w-arista-edu-t20847.html

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodinal / R09 is supposed to be better with slow films 100-200 iso. So far with the Foma 100 the best method i've found is 1+50 7-8 minutes. Great contrast, detailed pictures, acutance is also very good.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Re Fomapan Reply with quote

I cottoned on to the Foma film and have mainly used it in 35mm to date.
I even bought a 30 metre can of Fomapan 200. I rate that at 125 ASA, the same as FP4. Foma 200 doesn't quite make the box speed even with Microphen & Foma 400 is no better than 300 ASA.
Some think the 200 is the best of the three. I will reserve judgement till I have noshed through more.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently using Ilfosol 3 which seems to work well with the ASA100 films. Once that runs out I'll probably try the Foma developers.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just bought a small bottle of R09 from Silverprint to try, I haven't used any yet. On the front label it says "R09 SPEZIAL" and one the back label there is the AGFA logo and "Chemistry produced by Agfa-Gaevert N.V. Made in Belgium" and "Produced for compard KG, Germany". I can't find out anything about "Spezial" - all I can find is R09 Old or New. I guess this is the "New" R09, is that right?

There was no paperwork or instructions with it, just the standard development times for a few films on the back label. I want to use it with PanF but it's not listed! Does anyone know anything about it and can you point to more detailed instructions anywhere? Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got information from Polish forum about Wephota brand, German company. Samples are pretty impressive, does anybody have any experience with? I am not sure do they make MF but for sure LF.
There (Freestyle) are only 180 120 ISO100 Arista on stock left

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
I've just bought a small bottle of R09 from Silverprint to try, I haven't used any yet. On the front label it says "R09 SPEZIAL" and one the back label there is the AGFA logo and "Chemistry produced by Agfa-Gaevert N.V. Made in Belgium" and "Produced for compard KG, Germany". I can't find out anything about "Spezial" - all I can find is R09 Old or New. I guess this is the "New" R09, is that right?

There was no paperwork or instructions with it, just the standard development times for a few films on the back label. I want to use it with PanF but it's not listed! Does anyone know anything about it and can you point to more detailed instructions anywhere? Thanks

Peter - This thread may be of use

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got other information that Wephota http://wephota.de/ is using Fomapan material and selling under Wephota brand
Also found some information about good quality products of Fotokemika in Zagreb, Croatia films ADOX or EFKA. http://www.fotokemika.hr/ Any experience?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thinking is, Rodinal and Foma must be popular for a reason. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voytek wrote:
Got other information that Wephota http://wephota.de/ is using Fomapan material and selling under Wephota brand
Also found some information about good quality products of Fotokemika in Zagreb, Croatia films ADOX or EFKA. http://www.fotokemika.hr/ Any experience?

Just for the record:

As far as I am aware of, Foma had only been actively exporting internationally for a little more than fifteen years or so, but Efke has been at it for longer than I could remember.

When Dupont acquired Adox of Frankfurt, its aim was to get hold of the Adox technology and facilities of X-ray material manufacture, the photographic material side was deemed superfluous to its needs. Fotokemika then acquired the rights to manufacture Adox films from Dupont, and recommenced their production under the name "Efke", phonetically "FK" for "Fotokemika". The original formulae have been maintained, although the speed ratings have since been revised somewhat. In addition to the new formulae devised by Fotokemika, they are supplied to other resellers under a variety of names.

These Adox films were revolutionary when they were introduced: before then, films were double-coated and the emulsions were quite thick. The theory of double-coating was to have a fast layer above a slow layer, but the thickness of the emulsion had a negative impact on image sharpness. The Adox films were single-coated with a very thin layer, along with anti-halation backing, thus offered a significant improvement in image quality. When Leitz was trying hard to convince people that the small negative size was indeed possible to give high quality, huge enlargement prints were sent to dealers as demonstrations to customers: these photographs were all taken on Adox films which were the only ones capable of squeezing out every bit of image quality out of the small negative area.

I have been using Adox/Efke KB21, sold as Maco UP100plus for some time and still have some stock. There is only one roll of KB14 sold as Maco UP50plus left. They are indeed fully satisfactory, to put it mildly.

Maco has a mail order site and there are some bargains too:

http://macodirect.de/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Seele, this is a bunch of detailed information

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are very welcomed, voytek.

Foma seems to be film of the hour in our little circle; these days all photographic materials manufacturers deserve all our support, both vocally and financially. The loss of Forte is nothing short of tragic as we all know.

Speaking of now-gone makers, one that I miss a lot is the family-owned firm of Negra, in Spain. I first came to know of its products in the mid-80s in London, when a colleague used a lot of it and I was very impressed. In the mid-90s I acquired a few rolls, then sold by Jessops as its own private label, and I was astounded; here is an example: Praktica B200 with Prakticar 80/1.8 (aka Pancolar).

P.S. If Orio thinks it is suitable, a new thread at the B/W gallery can be started.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Peter - This thread may be of use

Thanks Martin. That thread is from 2004 when "ordinary" Rodinal was still in production.

I'm sorry to have gatecrashed this thread, I'll go and ask somewhere else.