Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Strawberries
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Strawberries Reply with quote

I'm working on back-lit isolations.

Shot with a 5D2 and Summicron-R 90mm, at around f14-16 with a short extension tube.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tasty

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

esp. the leftmost one is excellent!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone. Criticism is also gratefully received, you know.

The angle is probably not so great here, the one on the left is the focus point, but the others should probably be placed further back to be obviously out of focus, rather than in-between.

Still, it may be handy for designers to separate them and move them around, adding blur as required.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that all 3 fruits should be focused.
If so, they would look pasted-on, like cardboard figures.
And if they were more distant, this would create the "artsy" shot, that makes you think "ooh, this photographer has just discovered the bokeh".
and on top of that the picture would probably be useless for microstock (which I think is probably the final destination of this photo).
The current setup works for me. The second and third fruit have slight blur which makes the viewer perceive the ensemble as something solid, not 2-dimension, but they are not so blurred that they become unuseable or a simple background element.
I think the current is the right choice.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Altough tech. is near perfect. These look like corpses to me in a lab.
There is no life left with this background . Sad

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Altough tech. is near perfect. These look like corpses to me in a lab.
There is no life left with this background . Sad

Yes, this is true. I'm not wildly keen on the look myself. Designers like a pure white background (you won't believe this: I accidentally typed "pure shite" then) as they can chop bits out and drop them into adverts, etc.

Good points about usability, Orio. They are, as you say, going to the micros. This is the other arrangement I was talking about. I think it is more appealing, and may sell better, but your are right: it must really be used as a whole. The front fruit could quite easily be isolated from the rest, but it would be easier still to buy a shot of a single fruit (which I also did)

Designers are odd (at least on the micros). Though they always say they want the perfect "element" regardless of artistic look, they actually tend to buy eye-candy. e.g. An isolated object displaced according to the rule of thirds is likely to sell better than the same thing smack in the middle of the frame, even if it has to be made smaller to allow for empty space.