Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rolleiflex SL35E automatic mode
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Rolleiflex SL35E automatic mode Reply with quote

today i got my rolleiflex sl35e. it seems that everything is working fine. just one thing that i dont understand.

it happens when shoting in automatic mode. when messuring in this mode, everything seems working fine. when pressing the shutter release a little more the LEDs for the automaticly chosen exposure time disappears and one LED on "16" (seconds) lights up. when i press the shutter completely after that, it releases for 16 seconds, no matter which light was messured.

the battery is new, so i am afraid that the electronic is faulty. i read that it is a typical topic with this camera that electronic is prone to error.

or do you think it could be something else?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really suspicious. It seems that the metering part works, but the shutter control is not receiving the meter signal or might be damaged.

It might be a failing contact, since (if I understand properly) in manual mode works fine and the speeds are proper. Anyway I don't have repair info for this specific camera.

Good luck!.

Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the manual mode works fine!

my last hope is that it is my own stupidness that it does not work like expected. is there any regular reason for the camera to act like that?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:00 am    Post subject: I just got one of these SL35E today... Reply with quote

I won it on eBay. Paid all of $5.50 for it. I'm guessing since this is a manual focus camera, I might have actually bid against someone already a member here on this forum. If so, let me say sorry. But I really wanted this camera. It's my first Rollei. And while it's not one of their medium format models or the heralded SL3003, it still counts for me.

So now, I'm looking for what lenses there may be other than Rollei's for this camera. To be clear, it's a Rollei SL35E. I got it actually thinking if nothing else worked (because of any difficulty finding lenses) I might have the mount changed. I have to confess, I got this because it reminded me of a Leica R3 or R4. I really do like the symmetrical body layout. I've never noticed it before, and I think it's the only camera that's built this way. Well maybe the original Exakta was. Again, to be clear, I mean that the lens is positioned dead center on the body. I think that's pretty cool.

So anyone having suggestions about lenses for this camera, please let me know.

Xavian-Anderson Macpherson
ShingoshiDao

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lenses with Rollei QBM mount are to find from Zeiss and Rollei (partly made by Mamiya), you can find a adapter M42>QBM and there is an adaptall-2 mount for QBM to fit Tamron lenses.(not too rarae on ebay) I don't know if other lens brands made QBM mount lenses too.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Thanks for the quick response here... Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
Lenses with Rollei QBM mount are to find from Zeiss and Rollei (partly made by Mamiya), you can find a adapter M42>QBM and there is an adaptall-2 mount for QBM to fit Tamron lenses.(not too rarae on ebay) I don't know if other lens brands made QBM mount lenses too.

I think I've already found the Tamron adapter that you're speaking of. That was one of the first things I looked for. I'll have to first see how well this camera works. There's supposed to be an issue with the film advance having to be extended to fire the shutter. So I guess while the shutter works, it's just an inconvenience. If it turns out to be more than that, I've only spent $5.50 for the body. So there really wouldn't be much of a loss here.

However, if the shutter is prevented from functioning as described, and I can have the film advance fixed to proper working order, I would then go ahead and be willing to invest more money in this. I don't know how difficult it would be to repair this myself. It's not something I would dare try with a newer electronic camera. But with this being mechanical and mostly manual, I would certainly give it a try. Again, I wouldn't lose anything by doing so.

Do you use this camera yourself? If so, what's been your experience with it? I open this question to anyone else who reads this as well.

ShingoshiDao

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just recieved one (Voigtländer VSL 3-E), in a beautifull state but with an issue too. With mine the shuttertime doesn't react on turning the aperture ring in Auto mode (problem in the body, the pin moves, but electronics don't work). But I can use it Auto in closed aperture mode with the DOF preview.
I paid € 25 + post for a perfect Vivitar 285 flash. So the beauty was a gift for me (seller thought otherwise, I think). Not too bad!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: I hope the best for the both of us! Reply with quote

It would be nice if both of us are able to use our respective bodies without too much stress. I've already downloaded the repair manual for the SL35E and now need to read through it to determine what I need to do to fix it. If no parts in the camera are broken I should be able to fix it. If one or more parts are broken, then that will be a problem if I can't find them. Although I could always buy another body with other issues and build one complete body from the both of them.

ShingoshiDao

EDIT: See my post HERE: Choice of Lenses

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you find the repair manual?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: My mistake? Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
Where did you find the repair manual?

I thought I had. But I think I was wrong. I thought I saw a link on camerapedia and followed it to a manual from there. But after realizing my mistake, I searched Google for "rollei sl35" ""repair manual"", and found this:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/19303332/Rollei-SL35-Service-Manual
You'll need a membership. But that took me just a few minutes, and I had the manual. It may not be the only one available. Because many more results came up from that search. Scribd was simply the first.

ShingoshiDao

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the repair manual for the original fully mechanical version of the camera. The sl35E is a rather different one, but may be an important part of the mechanical built is equal?

Last edited by Minolfan on Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are totally different cams. One, the SL 35 is a mechanical cam. cicuits only for meter not for shutter speeds. Had a Rollei QC, very good.

The SL 35 E is a electronic shutter speeds cam. Singapure QC, at that time very criticed as not so good as german one. Shutterbug cualify the sonnar singapure for the rollei 35 RF as poor lens in the 50%.

In the rolleiflex SL 35 E (a beauty cam for me) a lot of electronics problems specially in the viewfinder indicator with manual meter use. Mine had it too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Would a Winder avoid the issues? Reply with quote

If I use a Winder for the SL35E, will it provide proper film advancement and return without concern for the state of the film advance and rewind mechanism? If so, it would be the easiest thing to simply install one.

ShingoshiDao

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:58 am    Post subject: I just received my SL35E today... Reply with quote

This eBay item wasn't properly described. At best, the definition was ambiguous. What's happening with this body is that the shutter actually releases when the film advance arm is fully extended. That wasn't clear. Because I was thinking the advance handle had to be placed to it's extreme position in order for the shutter to be released. Instead, what I have is the film advance acting as the shutter release itself. So the camera is essentially nonfunctional.

If anyone here has any experience with this sort of thing, please let me know. I have seen another SL35E body, but hesitate to get it. I think $5.50 was enough to spend on this losing proposition. Mostly my decision is based on the lack of readily available lenses of decent quality. Physically, the body is as beautiful as I expected it to be. But a sexy body that doesn't put out, isn't something to pursue... Razz

ShingoshiDao