Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

any suggestions for a very good QBM mount SLR
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: any suggestions for a very good QBM mount SLR Reply with quote

as i allready posted, i got two lenses in this mount. i got a distagon 2,8/35 and a planar 1,7/50. both are serviced in a local store at the moment, caus i could not do it myself. the construction seems to be too complicated for my little brain. Rolling Eyes

after realizing that there is no af-confirm adapter for qbm-to-ef available, i thougt about buying a qbm-mount slr. i longer planed to get a smaller slr for "snap-shots", caus sometimes my eos30 (with pb) is too big and catches to much attention for certain shots.

can you suggest a good (or better...) very good srl in qbm-mount? i thougt of the rolleiflex sl35e. is there someone who has experiences with that slr or even another on in this mount?

from the fact, that i got a lot of m42 lenses, it could make sense to sell these two lenses and get (e.g.) a bessaflex. as you can see... i am really confued about this deliberations.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: any suggestions for a very good QBM mount SLR Reply with quote

supahmario wrote:
as i allready posted, i got two lenses in this mount. i got a distagon 2,8/35 and a planar 1,7/50. both are serviced in a local store at the moment, caus i could not do it myself. the construction seems to be too complicated for my little brain. Rolling Eyes

after realizing that there is no af-confirm adapter for qbm-to-ef available, i thougt about buying a qbm-mount slr. i longer planed to get a smaller slr for "snap-shots", caus sometimes my eos30 (with pb) is too big and catches to much attention for certain shots.

can you suggest a good (or better...) very good srl in qbm-mount? i thougt of the rolleiflex sl35e. is there someone who has experiences with that slr or even another on in this mount?

from the fact, that i got a lot of m42 lenses, it could make sense to sell these two lenses and get (e.g.) a bessaflex. as you can see... i am really confued about this deliberations.

I owned the SL-M for a while, simply to use for the QBM mount lenses. It
was a very good camera with an outstanding viewfinder.

Of course, you'll want to make sure the camera is in working order, as
these are starting to show their age.

The Bessaflex is certainly a fine camera, so I know your dilemma!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: I'm now in the same club... Reply with quote

And I would like to know what all this camera is capable of. I realized only after I got mine that I made the mistake of thinking the lenses were like Contax/Yashica. Now I know better. But that really doesn't matter, because I thought about changing the mount to either Leica M39 or M-mount. I think the M-mount would be better, since I could still use the M39 lens on the same body. The only question I have is whether the mechanical connections of the Rollei would be completely useless with other lenses. However, I've also seen that there is a Tamron adapter for these lenses as well. So as long as my yet undelivered body works well, I'll still have multiple options for it. At least that's what I hope anyway. But for $5.50 off eBay, how could I complain!

Xavian-Anderson Macpherson
ShingoshiDao

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When yoy use an adapter for M42 you miss open lens metering. You don't have to miss it with Adaptall-2 for QBM on Tamron. And maybe there are some more third party lenses for QBM mount.
However on mine (received this week a voigtländer VSL 3-E) open lens metering happens not to work by lack of functioning of the electronic transport of aperture info to the body.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rollei QBM is always a bit of a sticky predicament, further complicated by lens with and without couplings for full-aperture metering. Here is my own thoughts, but YMMV, of course.

The first Rolleiflex SL35 with QBM had stop-down metering and the QBM has a stop-down plunger which works in parallel to the optical axis, much like the arrangement on M42 lenses. Lenses made for it were all German built and appear to be the most sought after. With a later QBM body they have automatic iris actuation but require stop-down metering. The adapter for taking M42 lenses would of course render them working to full capacity of the camera. A rare version, SL350 added the couplings for full-aperture metering which became standard on subsequent models. The SL35M and SL35ME were actually based on the Zeiss Ikon SL706, the last of the Icarex series which was in turn a Voigtländer design. The SL35E (Voigtländer VSL-3E) and the SL2000F and successors, however, were original designs.

If you have a selection of "good" QBM lenses (such as the earlier Oberkochen-built ones) and wants a camera to use them, I would suggest a good example of the SL35 for compatibility. But if the lenses are the newer "Rolleinars" you might be able to get optically identical ones in more common mounts as they were sourced from Japanese makers.

Therer are indeed people who have some degree of success in converting QBM lenses to M42, but they tend to lose iris automation even though they share similar activation mechanism.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Ok, I need some clarification here... Reply with quote

Are both of you talking about the "Genuine Rollei" m42 adapter? Because I only need to use one M42 thread lens on this body. Anything else would simply be extra. Although I have also seen a Tamron adapter available as well. So how many features of an M42 thread lens will remain fully functional on my SL35E body?

Xavian-Anderson Macpherson
ShingoshiDao

EDIT: I've decided to use the Tamron Adaptall lenses. One in particular would be most appropriate for me. That's the 24mm f/2.5. However, the 28-200mm f/3.8-5.6 would cover all of my needs in a single lens.