Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

S-M-C Tak 1.8/85mm vs EF 1.2/85mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: S-M-C Tak 1.8/85mm vs EF 1.2/85mm Reply with quote

Hi,

today my S-M-C Tak 1.8/85 mm arrived. Thanks Alfonso for this nice lens.

Due to a lack of a more reasonable motive this evening I made some test shot with the rest of my stinted dinner on my desk. Both wide open at nearest focus lenght handhelded.

What are you thinking (no comments regarding the dinner and the yoghurt pot please Rolling Eyes) ?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

you asked for oppinions, but not to mention the dinner. So I seriously tell you, without good motives (preferably young human females), both of these great lenses are a waiste of money, time and film/ disk space.

If you married, over 40, and hair starts fading away just like me, it's too late anyway... Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, both lenses are useless, Rolf. Just send them to me and I will get rid of them. I will even pay for postage and package. Wink

OK, seriously, these are two great lenses. And I have to admit that I like the EF 1.2/85 better, but then what was the price difference? Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah! you don't need 2 85mm... send me the plastic Canon & keep the tak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh you can never have too many 85mm lenses!

I think both look excellent, although note the Canon is showing a touch more CA at the top of the pot. Awesome for f1.2 though!

Personally I would love either of them!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guessed (without looking at the text) that the picture made with the Canon EF was actually made with the Tak. Based on my mental idea that the Canon lens had to be better for the price difference and the modern design.

I was wrong Laughing

In other words, based on that single picture sample, I'd say that your new Tak is a very fine lens!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see very little between them. The Bokeh is slightly different in each but apart from that not alot. I think maybe the FE just has it for IQ but there's not much in it. The Tak must be such a cracking lens if it close to the EF!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Rolf.

I had to check several times wether you aimed the same point on both shots.

If so, the EF 1.2 seems better at 1.2 than the Tak at 1.8.
It seems sharper and with a better DOF even if 1.2 against 1.8.
I say that when looking the red writing "öko Test" and green "ERDBEE" near it. But a little upper, "SÖBBEKE" seems more neat on the Tak.
When looking at the fruits, the 1.2 is better.

So... is it the same aiming point ? or the 1.2 has a wider "in focus field" ?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i say, rolf is trying to dupe us!

the first is made with the tak! Cool

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I love your comments ! I think exactly like LucisPictor

[quote="LucisPictor" ........
OK, seriously, these are two great lenses. And I have to admit that I like the EF 1.2/85 better, but then what was the price difference? Laughing.....
[/quote]

They are so close together and the price difference is factor 10 to 12 !!! Ok, AF and 1.2 but at the end a lot of money.

But sometimes .....

1/5000 sec. ISO 800 and f:1.2

Anyway, I´m sure that I will shot from tomorrow more than joghurt pots with the nice tak. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The focus point is slightly higher on the Tak shot IMHO.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:

your sample doesn't tell much, you could do same or better at :
1/300s ISO 100 f:2.8

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all due respect Rolf I think that it would be better to compare Takumar with Vivitar,Samyang,Rokinon,Polar, Falcon 1.4/85 made in Korea - which lately receives more and more very good opinions. I think that even Apo-Lanthar 3.5/90 in similar price level is better than Takumar. I would rather compare Canon to Planar 1.4/85 or to other prime lenses, eg Leitz, Zeiss for C/Y. All above is my private opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voytek wrote:
With all due respect Rolf I think that it would be better to compare Takumar with Vivitar,Samyang,Rokinon,Polar, Falcon 1.4/85 made in Korea - which lately receives more and more very good opinions. I think that even Apo-Lanthar 3.5/90 in similar price level is better than Takumar. I would rather compare Canon to Planar 1.4/85 or to other prime lenses, eg Leitz, Zeiss for C/Y. All above is my private opinion.

+1

Hard, brief and truthful.

Rino.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
Rolf wrote:

your sample doesn't tell much, you could do same or better at :
1/300s ISO 100 f:2.8

Wow, what an interesting aspect. On the pic is an artiste, with 1/300 you would see a rotating red twister Wink

Anyway, the only reason to upload these pics here was to show how close the differences are between 2 lenses with a difference in price by faktor 10 or 12, not more or less.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voytek wrote:
I think that even Apo-Lanthar 3.5/90 in similar price level is better than Takumar.

Surely not at f/1.8, and at f/4 this is yet to prove.

I've sold my SMC-Tak 85/1.8. Too young, too "clinical" and too cold in color for my kind of photographing. Like the older Takumars better. The Komuras better yet...

BTW -- and these two are comparable because there is just about 1/2 stop maximum aperture in between: the Zeiss Planar 85/1.4 is no way sharper than the SMC-Tak 85/1.8 wide open. But comes out a bit more friendly (less contrast and warmer color). This is a lens why I keep two otherwise useless C/Y SLR bodies...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

taunusreiter wrote:

I've sold my SMC-Tak 85/1.8. Too young, too "clinical" and too cold in color for my kind of photographing.

Interesting observation. Even though I love my Takumars to death, the 85mm SMC is not high on my list of most-loved lenses. For some reason or other, I like my 80mm f/1.8 Pancolar much more.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conclusion to my previous post.
Canon 1.2/85 is a very special lens and till now I didn't see any other one which can perform like this. So far I don't have Leica and Contax lenses. Not yet.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Takumar 85/1.8 is a great find lens and I love it.