Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

FM Intellisharpen 2.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: FM Intellisharpen 2.5 Reply with quote

Hi,

does anyone use this software by Fred Miranda ? How are the results ? Is there anything "better" on the market ?

Thanks for your assistance.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use it.
But now I rarely feel the need to sharpen my images. Maybe because I have better cameras than in the past, maybe because I have better lenses, I don't know.
The few times I need some sharpening, I use Nik's Sharpener Pro, which I find the best sharpening plugin.
But in all fairness, you can more or less obtain the same with a wise use of Photoshop's Unsharp Mask.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy better lens or invest in a tripod Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Orio,

thanks for your post.

I have the same thought that the standard is to use none. And if it is necessary a carefully use of the built-in functions of CS3 or 4 would be also ok.

Thanks again and have a nice weekend Wink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:

Hi poilu,

good advice. With respect to my "lens warehouse" I have increased the insurance values few weeks ago dramatically. Wink

And yes, I own a very good tripod and a monpod as well. But sometimes .....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best sharpening software i've ever used is PixelGenius Photokit Sharpener. You may want to give it a try.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:

All shots taken with an unmodified digital camera needs a bit of sharpening, no matter what the quality of the lens. Or you will not achieve the sharpness that your lens is capable of. Especially true for photos with alot of detail, such as landscape.

Google sharpness and AA filter. The AA filter is placed infront of the sensor and do remove details and sharpness of the images. This is ofcourse not the case with film though. The difference is quite stunning.

Save these two images, open them in a layer each in photoshop and keep toggling the sharpened to see the difference. Wink. This is done with default settings of the NIK Raw presharpener, which should be used straight after the raw conversion. Proper output sharpening is done when editing is done, obviously.

This is straight from the camera. Unsharpened

And this is with default NIK settings

The "fuzziness" you see in the unsharpened version is because of the AA filter. Different brands of cameras have different AA filters and there might even be a few that have none. And obviously, if you want alot of moire effect in your photos, you can have the AA filter removed.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the processed image will be OK for printing but it's oversharpened for PC display.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I think that the processed image will be OK for printing but it's oversharpened for PC display.

Nah, its a 100% crop.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the whole image, presharpened and resized for computer display. Other then that untouched.

Here is the same picture sharpened with presharpener and outputsharpener for display. All settings default, so not 100% ofcourse.

Obviously, all settings should be tuned per picture and not done like this where I started the plugin and pressed OK.

Whats cool about NIK is that every change you can do can be done with local control points. ie. more sharpening on eyes, less on hair etc.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have and use Nik, it's the best plugin IMO.
However I still feel that "RAW presharpening" is way excessive, especially with some of my MF lenses.
It is probably calibrated on those horrible muddy kit zoom lenses.
I never use it (the presharpener).
I only use some "display" after resize, very little (12% to 14%), and sometimes I skip that too.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno. I kinda use it on reflex. A friend of mine tried it and bought it instantly. And he use modern topnotch glass, such as Canon EF 85/1,2 L v2 on fullformat (1Ds Mark II or what the hell they are called) and he is impressed.

Anyhoo. I like it and I recommend it to those that want a sharpener. I think it does a great job.