Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon F
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Nikon F Reply with quote

which Nikon F SLR should I take that has metering for my zenitar 16?
does F801 have metering for manual lenses?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the old non AF Nikons will meter manual lenses if they are Nikon mount. I'm not sure if the Nikon Zenitar is just an adaptor of a proper mount?
I still have and still use (Not often) an old EM 'Snapshot SLR' the only Nikon I ever bothered to keep, there are plenty of good manual Nikons to pick.
I had an 801 for a very short time back around 1994. It was the best of the series but none of them handled well or felt good.
I think to buy a S/H one would be a risk, they were not very well made and there was plenty to go wrong. I seem to remember they were fetching very little 10 years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you happen to have (or anyone) a list of the nikon SLR cameras that will meter with manual lenses....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for digital I have D80 (will be replaced)... I need something for my fisheye, so I can exploit full potencial of this lens... FF digitals are too expencive so I am considering film SLR a better solution... for now Wink

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Nikon F100 meters with all my M42 lenses. I've tried it with many old manual focus lenses and still have not found one which it would not meter with.

This page has a lot of good information on metering compatibility with Nikon bodies. Starts with digital, scroll down for F series.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm

Last edited by Esox lucius on Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd urgently recommend one of the modular pro bodies (F to F5) for lens experiments, as only these have mirror locking. Best buy right now is the F4, which has the widest support for the many F-mount generations, and can be found (as many pros are clearing their inventories for the D3) very cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well today I recieved Nikon F75... in mint condition, I cant find ANY scratches
25€ inc. shipping, unfortunately has no metering for manuals so I'm going to buy AF ultra wide lens (Tokina 19-35)

F801 is my choice for manual lenses... but first I'll try F75

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tokina 19-35mm is a nice lens but I would not these days call it 'Ultra wide' 19mm will be nothing like the Zenitar on FF the Zen is a true 180 dia lens on FF and 19mm on crop is nothing. I use my Zenitar on 35mm Pentax ME Super as well as Crop DSLR. I also have the Sigma 10-20 which is good on crop but does also work on film with slight rounding on the corners at 10-12mm.
A very good Nikon owning friend has the Sigma 12-24 which he uses on his D70 and F5 SLR and I have used it on my old Nikon EM. It is very wide but still not as wide as the Zenitar on FF.
Have you looked at the Tokina 10-17 fisheye. I tried it and loved it and would buy except I still like the Zenitar and Peleng.
If you consider Sigma DO NOT buy before trying the actual lens you will have. I had to go through 4 copies before finding a good one, many of Sigma wides suffer from decentred focus due to quality control, some users may never notice it till they have used the lens for a while or tested for the problem.
Your idea of a film Nikon is a better one but get one of the cheap MF built like a tank F models, not the latter plastic rubbish.
I am not a film fanatic, I do prefer digital but I would not go far without my ME super with the Zenitar and a 24mm + a RF compact in my pocket.

801 your first choice? The F75 is a much better camera in all respects to the 801, I don't like either but if I had to I would go for the F75, but I would pay a bit more the F100 that is a real camera.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this thread for a question.
I'm thinking about going back to film (digital also keep). I'm interesting in Nikon platform and espesially F801. I want use Ai/AiS Nikkors only. Is it good choice? Or can anyone suggest any other Nikon camera?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davidus wrote:
I use this thread for a question.
I'm thinking about going back to film (digital also keep). I'm interesting in Nikon platform and espesially F801. I want use Ai/AiS Nikkors only. Is it good choice? Or can anyone suggest any other Nikon camera?

Easier to suggest if we know your budget, all Nikon are great ones, but their price levels are very vary.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course. Maybe about 100 euros. But if you know about some cheaper and good...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davidus wrote:
Of course. Maybe about 100 euros. But if you know about some cheaper and good...

100 EUR shoud enough for a used looking, but good working Nikon FA. Lovely superb camera I have this one.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest one of the Nikon F-series (F, F2, F3, F4, F5) or the FE or FM. I know for a fact that all of these cameras will meter mf lenses, and that they all will allow one to mount the older pre-AI Nikkors as well. Most of the later Nikons will not.

I own an F2 and I'll never sell it. It is one of the finest mechanical, manual focus cameras ever made.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila and cooltouch have mentioned some very nice Nikons. The FE and FE2 are fine cameras, same said for the FA, and all the F series cameras.

The EL is also quite nice and well worth looking into.

This is my most used and favorite Nikon.

Here's my EL

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that either the FE2 or the FA will accept pre-AI Nikkors that haven't been converted. That's why I restricted my recommendations to the FM and FE, in addition to the F-series. Of course the Nikkormats are also wonderful cameras, and even the later ones that have the AI meter coupling (FT3 and "Nikon" EL2) can be used with the older lenses.

Last edited by cooltouch on Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:21 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that either the FE2 or the FA will accept pre-AI Nikkors that haven't been converted. That's why I restricted my recommendations to the FM and FE, in addition to the F-series. Of course the Nikkormats are also wonderful cameras, and even the later ones that have the AI meter coupling can be used with the older lenses.

Your right, FE2 and FA will not mount the non ai glass. The original post was not restricted to non ai glass to begin with.

Correct me if im wrong!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiralcity wrote:

Your right, FE2 and FA will not mount the non ai glass. The original post was not restricted to non ai glass to begin with.

At least on the FM2n/FE2, you could have the rigid AI coupler replaced with a spare swivel-out coupling ring from the FE/FM.

Sevo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiralcity wrote:

I understand that. All I was doing was being conservative in my recommendations because I know the cameras I recommended (plus the Nikkormats) will work with all Nikkors.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all.
I think it could be FE. I also found FG, but don't know, if it's good for Ai/AiS.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FE is my first Nikon ever (disregarding the early 60's Nikkomat my parents bought in Japan) and is a fantastic camera. So much on it is just right, you will be happy with one I'm sure.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davidus wrote:
Thanks to all.
I think it could be FE. I also found FG, but don't know, if it's good for Ai/AiS.

The FG is actually a fine little camera, and works well with AI/AIs, but I don't believe its meter tab will flip up out of the way for pre-AI lenses.

If I had to choose between the two, however, I'd go for the FE. +1 to what Nesstor wrote -- the FE is one of the best mf cameras that Nikon ever made. Plus, it can be used with the old lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll probably look for FE. Thanks a lot.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I would suggest one of the Nikon F-series (F, F2, F3, F4, F5) or the FE or FM. I know for a fact that all of these cameras will meter mf lenses, and that they all will allow one to mount the older pre-AI Nikkors as well. Most of the later Nikons will not.

I own an F2 and I'll never sell it. It is one of the finest mechanical, manual focus cameras ever made.

Um, I would check that F5, FE and FM have a moveable aperture sensing lever to allow it to move out of the way when mounting a pre-AI lens. F4 and F3 certainly do, and F2 and F are of course pre-AI so use rabbit ears.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

Um, I would check that F5, FE and FM have a moveable aperture sensing lever to allow it to move out of the way when mounting a pre-AI lens. F4 and F3 certainly do, and F2 and F are of course pre-AI so use rabbit ears.

The FE and FM definitely do, while the FE2 and FM2 don't. The F5 requires a Nikon Service Center mod in order to use pre-AI lenses, but at least it can be done. And even the later F2s, such as the F2A and F2AS, have AI-coupling tabs that can be moved out of the way for the pre-AI lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
The F5 requires a Nikon Service Center mod in order to use pre-AI lenses, but at least it can be done.

Aha. That explains why I have seen contradictory statements, some saying the F5 has a swingout aperture sensor and some saying that it does not. So, both are correct and it depends whether the F5 is stock or factory modified.