Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ultra-Achromatic Takumar 300/5.6
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Ultra-Achromatic Takumar 300/5.6 Reply with quote

Its dedicated front cap (right) comapred to a normal 58mm cap (left) :

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you bought that damaged piece, that stupid camera seller in the US has mistreated that wonderful lens
with a dust-off propellant spray and so close to the front lens that the rapid cooling down cracked the
front fluorite lens element.

The description was not honest as he sold it as "coating damage". But well, compared to what I payed
for mine, you got it for peanuts, so congratulations!

I hope he included at least the original leather case.

Last edited by kds315* on Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool piece of steel & glass!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the lens still function with that sort of damage?
Cheers, Pickles.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might work quite well still. But there is a possibility that the damaged gets bigger an bigger, especially when there are big changes in temperature the lens is exposed to.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

The tripod mount is missing, but I hope he included at least the original leather case.

Klaus, I see a tripod mount in the first picture.
Or I need to change the spectacles?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need new glasses, not you - DUHH!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, the tripod was not included, I took it from the 70-150 I have to sell. The leather case is also included, so the lens is complete. I could not let is go away, even with this blemish, which is indeed in the glass (I can "feel" it with the fingers). At least, this one is mine and I will be free to show it on my site.
Pickles : http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2008.10.30/front-element-scratches
I should call Carglass Very Happy (I don't know if you know them out of France)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoever did this to this magnificent lens must be shot. Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarbonR wrote:
In fact, the tripod was not included, I took it from the 70-150 I have to sell. The leather case is also included, so the lens is complete. I could not let is go away, even with this blemish, which is indeed in the glass (I can "feel" it with the fingers). At least, this one is mine and I will be free to show it on my site.
Pickles : http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2008.10.30/front-element-scratches
I should call Carglass Very Happy (I don't know if you know them out of France)

I had already proposed Carglass to the seller as I had the right of first refusal on that lens, but obviously he did not want to take the risk. Most likely it would work, but who knows...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, could Carglass do anything to repair or at least improve such a defect? I mean, photographic glass is so different in terms of properties when compared to car windscreen glass, I always though that repair methods which prove effective on the latter might not be applicable to the former...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well they vacuum inject some acrylics and harden it using UV light, then polish the surface from what I know.
The only main point I see is the damaging of the coating when polishing it. Not sure if their apparatus is small
enough to fit a front lens of only some 50mm diameter....