Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What kind of damage this lens have? dose change shape !!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: What kind of damage this lens have? dose change shape !!! Reply with quote

This is a front group of Pentax M 50mm f/1.7 I wonder if can be repaired?
I don’t think it is fungus???? This “think” changing shape every time I move it to different position. Sorry for the quality of first photo.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the optical diagram I think some residual oil from the helicoid has gotten behind the front element. This should clean easily. You'll need to unscrew the front part of the lens though (with tweezers).

Was the lens kept in a hot car?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
Based on the optical diagram I think some residual oil from the helicoid has gotten behind the front element. This should clean easily. You'll need to unscrew the front part of the lens though (with tweezers).

Was the lens kept in a hot car?

This lens was a gift from a father-in-law.. Wink …he he (thinking what to give him for next fathers day Laughing
It was kept in a house unused for a very long time maybe 20 years or so, cosmetically looks very good. The storage place, unfortunately is in part of the house where the air-condition doesn’t reach, and the house is in a pretty hot country -Australia
I hope I can clean it, I will have go at it

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a lens with almost same problem,
it seems the coating has kinda "peeled off"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hasan wrote:

To me looks like is same kind of fluid floating around, I think that Spotmatic is right at least in my case ???

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There would likely be very little effect on image quality, no matter the cause, unless it gets a lot bigger.

It could also be separation of cemented elements.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregS wrote:
hasan wrote:

To me looks like is same kind of fluid floating around, I think that Spotmatic is right at least in my case ???

Well, in my case luisalegria seems to be correct. Laughing
At least I couldn't detect any oil on mine.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it looks like oil to me. notice a faint "rainbow" or am I imagining things Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree with the 'oil' theory.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either oil (easily repeirable) or coating separation (not repairable). If it's oil, the fix is simple: use a friction tool to unscrew front nameplate, then your fingers (rubber gloves would come handy) to unscrew the front lens element. Note that the entire front optical block might come off as you unscrew; that's OK, you'll be able to detach the front lens from it without messing with levers or aperture. I cleaned an extremely dusty 50/2 this way.