Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lens ID needed
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Lens ID needed Reply with quote

I can buy this lens:

I've asked the seller about the brand, but the front ring only mentions the following information:

TELE-18CM 1:4,5, 569927

That's it... No brand, nothing. Any ideas about the brand of this chrome/black lens? According to the seller it has a screwmount.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a home made lens from old large format lens+ Biotar or similar tube.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Seriously? Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I frequently found them in local shop. Photography was expensive hobby in past. People did try to help to ourselves and made some strange things. Large format lenses not perform better than average on 35mm especially common ones. They were designed for huge negatives so resolution must be weak compare with your excellent lenses. For a few bucks ok to take it to feed your hungry but I don't think so it will be your favorite.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mysterious item indeed !

I have a couple of home-made SLR lenses someone put together 50+ years ago, mine were based on military optics; it was certainly worth the trouble at the time.

Using LF lenses for this wasn't that unusual, I have seen several such conversions, both amateur and pro quality.

I am thinking this might not be a LF lens because of the 'silver" section with what looks like a focusing ring, though that could have been taken from a regular SLR lens as Attila says, and the optics are from an LF or even an enlarger.

Who knows ? It might instead be a rare thing made for a Korelle or VP Exakta or something.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to keep up the interest, that color scheme with the black barrel seems to have been current on some Dallmeyer lenses -

Dallmeyer Dallac 80/2 -

http://leicaism.net/?p=48

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Luis for your ideas. Somehow I got the idea that this lens is an original and early Japanese triplet-type tele, as the front section looks heavy compared to the back part. I think there's a 90% chance that the lens is crap but I'll try to bid low...