Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Good Wide-Angle Lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Good Wide-Angle Lens? Reply with quote

Hi! Smile

(I couldn't find this asked earlier, so if it has been, my apologies.)

I'm looking for a good wide-angle lens, ideally 24mm or wider, that could be found on Ebay for under ~$50 USD. The currently widest M42 lens that I have and use is 58mm, which I find limiting for what I like photographing.

What would you recommend for this budget?

Regards,
-Decapolis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On this budget impossible to get good wide angle lenses. Don't expect good lens for nothing. If you don't have more money wait and save and buy later. Good ones are started around 200 USD. I know good is relative term , but in my experience better to buy less and more rare than buy lot of average or so so lens. Especially if you would like to use on DSLR , film has more tolerance with not so good lenses.

Cheap ones Vivitar 24mm f2.8, f2
Kiron 24mm f2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron 24mm Adaptall 2 should be around that budget
but you will need to buy a M42 adaptall ring too

Meyer Lydith 30mm also a good lens should be around 30-40 Euros

Of course for really good super wide lenses like Attila said you should spend at least 150-200 Euros.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies! I guess I am overly hopeful, how about lenses <30mm in focal length?
Thanks for the Kiron and Meyer Lydith recommendations! (On a side note, is the Meyer Lydith later rebranded as Pentacon?)

I wouldn't really like to spend a great deal over 50 $ on this, as I photograph a lot digital, and film is not the main medium. I don't need Zeiss-quality glass, naturally not, just something that would be good for the price.

Thanks for any further input! I'm looking seriously in to all recommendations.

-Decapolis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the shorter and cheaper that you can find is Tamron 25mm
Shorter than 25mm lenses never come for 50 Euros unless total garbage or broken.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you consider 28mm, S-M-C Takumar 28/3.5 and Yashica ML 28/2.8 are great lenses and in your price range (Yashica ML can be had for as little as $20 sometimes Smile )

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not particularly wide on a crop sensor, but both Tamron Adaptall 1 and 2 28mm primes are very good.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the Ensinor 24mm. I got one a while back and was surprised at the sharpness. A really good lens and they go for next to nothing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decapolis wrote:
Thanks for the replies! I guess I am overly hopeful, how about lenses <30mm in focal length?
Thanks for the Kiron and Meyer Lydith recommendations! (On a side note, is the Meyer Lydith later rebranded as Pentacon?)

I wouldn't really like to spend a great deal over 50 $ on this, as I photograph a lot digital, and film is not the main medium. I don't need Zeiss-quality glass, naturally not, just something that would be good for the price.

Thanks for any further input! I'm looking seriously in to all recommendations.

-Decapolis

You can use same lens on both system don't need to buy lens for film only.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,

I wonder about the Meyer-Optik Görlitz Lydith 30mm f/3.5, is this optically the same lens as the Pentacon 30mm f/3.5? Would there be any motivation for purchasing one instead of the other?

Browsing on Ebay.de there are several Pentacons, but not Meyer-Optiks.

Sincerely,
-Decapolis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decapolis wrote:
Hi again,

I wonder about the Meyer-Optik Görlitz Lydith 30mm f/3.5, is this optically the same lens as the Pentacon 30mm f/3.5? Would there be any motivation for purchasing one instead of the other?

Browsing on Ebay.de there are several Pentacons, but not Meyer-Optiks.

Sincerely,
-Decapolis

It's the same lens re-branded. Generally better than the 29/2.8, but still nowhere near as good as the 28mm Tamrons IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scored myself a Cosina 28mm f2.8 in Pentax mount for $20 ozzie currency and a reasonable performer so worth keeping a look out for it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just bought a Lydith. It's a minty. I'd still recommend the Ensinor over the Lydith. It's quite a bit wider and sharper with the advantage of having coated optics.

However the Lydith is by no means a bad lens.

Lydith at F11

And here's a thread with some samples from the Ensinor:
http://forum.mflenses.com/walk-with-the-ensinor-2-8-24-macro-t15682,highlight,ensinor.html

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all new helpful replies!

The Tamron Adaptalls seem like a very attractive option, I'll keep an eye on Ebays and such sites.

In reply to martinsmith99, thanks for the samples and recommendation! Very Happy The Ensinor still tops my list for what to look for, however I believe it isn't very common? I have checked several auction sites, none of which have it currently, and most haven't had in the last three months according to the 'finished auctions' search. Are there any other places worth searching in other than Ebay(s)?

Sincerely,
-Decapolis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xjjohnno wrote:
Scored myself a Cosina 28mm f2.8 in Pentax mount for $20 ozzie currency and a reasonable performer so worth keeping a look out for it.

Well maybe a hidden gem? But my 28m f2.8 Makinon is very good, got it with a Canon AV1 for £12.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decapolis wrote:
Thanks for all new helpful replies!

The Tamron Adaptalls seem like a very attractive option, I'll keep an eye on Ebays and such sites.

In reply to martinsmith99, thanks for the samples and recommendation! Very Happy The Ensinor still tops my list for what to look for, however I believe it isn't very common? I have checked several auction sites, none of which have it currently, and most haven't had in the last three months according to the 'finished auctions' search. Are there any other places worth searching in other than Ebay(s)?

Sincerely,
-Decapolis

I have seen a few crop up, but they aren't that common. There is a Sigma WA lens that is popular and also some of the Vivitars are well respected depending on who actually made the lens. Tamrons are usually a safe bet also.

I'll keep a watch out on my travels and let you know if I find anything. There are a few I found on the usual auction site by just searching on 28mm/24mm m42. There are a couple of Miranda 28mm lenses that will probably go for the starting bid (here's one Click here to see on Ebay) so it may be worth the gamble or just something to use until you find the lens you want. I have a Miranda 70-210 zomm which I was given and I didn't expect much from it, but it is very usable. Other slightly more expensive options are Chinon or Pentax.

Good hunting!