Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Velvia 100F or Provia 400F?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Velvia 100F or Provia 400F? Reply with quote

I can get outdated Fuji Velvia 100F and Provia 400F 120 format roll film from 2005 and 2006 (always been stored in a fridge). I'd love ot try my 'new' Ikonta but what film is better suited for a landscape photographer like me?

Or... Is it better to start with negative film?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for Velvia. It's a classic landscape film. There's an old "digital vs film" comparison using provia 400 on the luminous landscape and the provia's rendition of greens is very flat.

Also consider the maximum shutter speed of your folder. If you have iso400 film and a max shutter speed of 1/150, you will HAVE to shoot at around f22 and 1/150 in daylight. With ISO 100 film you have a greater range of apertures available.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't thought of that (the film speed), guess I still have a lot to learn! Very Happy

Still I have the last question what would be better (yes, I know that Velvia delivers positive transparencies) with such an old camera like my Ikonta C 524/2: color negative or positive film? Knowing that negative film has a wider exposure latitude and there's room for errors.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From slides use low ISO as possible , we use slides because it has exceptional quality higher ISO always or almost always produce less quality.

I did tray Sensia 200 it was crappy slide film , but Sensia 100 is pretty good one. I heard Provia 400 old one was also pretty crappy newest Provia 400 should better. I also vote for Velvia 100 in your case and TRIPOD!!! for folders set shutter around f8-f16 and result will be shock you. Even if there is 4,5 insert use 6x9 images. I suggest to take you a reliable SLR camera as light meter and distance meter too with same focal length lens if you are planning to shoot less distance than infinity.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, Attila! Will take note of it and possibly also post the results here.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
Thanks for the tips, Attila! Will take note of it and possibly also post the results here.

I look forward your result ! My expectation is very high, I am so curious!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's going to be the first roll through the camera, I suggest a cheap color print film as the guinea pig roll. Cheaper and quicker to develop, and you see how great the lens is / how the shutter drags / how the bellows leak / I'm writing poetry here Shocked

How great the lens,
How the shutter drags,
How the bellows leak,
C how the Ikonta fares.

Laughing Not that I think the shutter will drag or the bellows leak, but you get my drift. Immediately afterward, shoot slides (I plan to, very soon, again)

For color print film, I'd use whatever is handy or cheap, I like every 160 speed color film I've tried. I usually expose these at 1/100 and around f/11 with the folders, in normal sunlight - and drop two stops for shade.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
If it's going to be the first roll through the camera, I suggest a cheap color print film as the guinea pig roll. Cheaper and quicker to develop, and you see how great the lens is / how the shutter drags / how the bellows leak / I'm writing poetry here Shocked

How great the lens,
How the shutter drags,
How the bellows leak,
C how the Ikonta fares.

Laughing Not that I think the shutter will drag or the bellows leak, but you get my drift. Immediately afterward, shoot slides (I plan to, very soon, again)

For color print film, I'd use whatever is handy or cheap, I like every 160 speed color film I've tried. I usually expose these at 1/100 and around f/11 with the folders, in normal sunlight - and drop two stops for shade.

Yes, exactly I did forget this. I also use this method first.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got the prices. Velvia 100F 120 rollfilm x 40 for 40 euros. So this is 1 euro / film. Good deal? Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
I just got the prices. Velvia 100F 120 rollfilm x 40 for 40 euros. So this is 1 euro / film. Good deal? Very Happy

Excellent deal!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:

Dang!! Superb! Best buy was by me 2 EUR each

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought today for 3€ each :S

If you want to send me some for 1€ I'd love to buy them hehe.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The films have arrived. The seller really packed them quite well (would be overkill even for a rare camera), but I'm happy with the 40 rolls of Fujichrome Velvia RVP 100F on 120 format!

The seller even included two rolls of the Fujichrome Provia 400F for me to try out. A nice gesture, even though I did not buy them (they are still available though).

Oh damn... This may be the beginning of another addiction. Knowing myself it won't take long before I have my first Hasselblad (the 500C/M with 80mm Planar is still my dream camera since I was a kid) and even a Rolleiflex 2,8F Planar. Rolling Eyes

I hate this forum! Twisted Evil Wink Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sell your 5D and solve your dreams.. currently I won't shoot on anything else than Provia and medium format cameras. Congrats for your superb films.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Sell your 5D and solve your dreams.. currently I won't shoot on anything else than Provia and medium format cameras. Congrats for your superb films.

Thanks Attila! Yes, selling my 5D will get me enough funds to buy either a nice Hasselblad or Rolleiflex, but I'm unsure as I hate selling stuff Wink

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
Attila wrote:

Thanks Attila! Yes, selling my 5D will get me enough funds to buy either a nice Hasselblad or Rolleiflex, but I'm unsure as I hate selling stuff Wink

This is my trouble too ... I am sitting on hundreds of lenses and dozen cameras even if If my flat is too small to store them...

I have to sell them but how can I sell a rare beauty , hard very hard , but necessary.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spottie,

Provia is known as a very good "skin tone" film (Perhaps the flat greens contribute a bit here). I sometimes use Provia for people shots and it works great.

Jules

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lulalake wrote:
Spottie,

Provia is known as a very good "skin tone" film (Perhaps the flat greens contribute a bit here). I sometimes use Provia for people shots and it works great.

Thanks Jules. It certainly takes some time to get used to films and their purposes and characteristics. Using a sensor is making us lazy Wink

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lulalake wrote:
Spottie,

Jules

Astia is far better for people and works where color rendition must be faithful (fashion for example). I use Provia for studio still life work and city shots and Velvia 50 for landscape shots. But if I have to use old cameras I usualy go with Kodak Portra NC 160 or 400, as I usually can't use polarizes, NG filters and all the other stuff.