Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Brightest Viewfinder in M42 body?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Brightest Viewfinder in M42 body? Reply with quote

I know there are lots of threads about M42 bodies, but one specific aspect I'm interested in is the viewfinder.

My Praktica, while a competent, functional unit, has a pretty dark viewfinder to my eyes.

Which bodies have notably bright (big also good) viewfinders?

Also I'd like to know what people experiences are on getting bodies that have completely clear viewfinders - ie no dust specs etc. I know it doesn't affect the picture if dust gets between the focusing screen and viewfinder, but I tend to get a bit distracted by it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my knowledge, the bessaflex is the brightest. But if your not willing to spend that sort of money, the fujica st801 is supposed to be the next in line.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentaxes are better than Praktica viewfinders, but I vote for the Fujica too.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would love a Bessaflex, but the $500 they seem to be going for on fleabay isn't palatable.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: M42 viewfinders Reply with quote

From memory, I think the brightest of the "old ones" was the Olympus FTL - but it's a very subjective thing.

Having answered the question (after a fashion) I've then got to say that the FTL probably isn't the best choice, even if you can find one! The body has a meter-follower which might - I'm not 100% certain - interfere with other lenses.

The most important thing in any case is to find a viewfinder which has a good bright fresnel outer area and a centre part that works well with relatively slow lenses - I've no wish to upset Praktica fans but the v/f brightness and focusing screens are both relatively poor in many respects. And at the risk of starting a fight, for sheer ease of focus with long slow lenses the old Zenith B and E take a lot of beating - dull, yes - but oh-so easy to judge when that 300mm gets to the focus point! Maybe not everyone's choice ...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried the Fujica ST801, I hear the viewfinder is one of its strongest points. I can vouch for the Chinon CE-3 (M42 mount) which has an excellent bright VF, better than the Spotmatic probably, and it has a split image screen.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this very important to you you can think about other more modern cameras like Pentax MX, Canon or Olympus best ones. For all of them M42 adapter available.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can vouch for the Bessaflex TM viewfinder. It is just outstanding, makes those M42 lenses come alive with original field of view, really worth the money they sell for.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its true that Prakticas viewfinders aren't the brightest, however i like them cause its a pentaprism focusing and i find it easier instead of a split image. Never got problems to focus correct.

But the Olympus FTL seems a very good alternative.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not very common, but I have a Fujica AZ1 and the viewfinder is very clear and very easy to focus. More clear than the ST 801 (that have too) and the praktica's ones. With the AZ1, can focus at F/5,6 without any problems.

I read in shutterbug, in 1991/1992, that the finders of the prakticas were jena made, who knows (I don't).

Rino.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with the Fujica as brightest choice, but it's not what I mostly grab when I need an M42 body. I have a soft spot for the penatx - S1a.
If I want a bright view I also use an adapter to Contax for the RTS.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xpres wrote:
If I want a bright view I also use an adapter to Contax for the RTS.

That's my plan B for 42's Cool

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for the Chinon CE 3, which has split image screen and is much bigger and brighter than the Praktica and the Pentax.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Bessaflex TM and it has the brightest viewfinder of all M42 cameras that I have tried.

http://www.cameraquest.com/voigtFlexTM.htm

-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've been lusting for the Bessaflex, but they do come dear! I really
like my Vivitar XC-3 for M42, I think it's Cosina-made and has real brass
in the body. I can see it through the fading paint! Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1, Fujica ST-801.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This camera

has a very bright view finder, but Minolta's X-series cameras (300~700), even X-9

has the same bright finder (all share Minolta's "accumat" screen).

So I recommend Minolta X-350 ~~ X-700 and any model between them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the comments! I picked up an ST801 on ebay. Hoping when it arrives it fits the bill.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djmike wrote:
+1, Fujica ST-801.

+1

It just dosent get much brighter than this on any 35mm camera I own.