Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

searching for a fast 80mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: searching for a fast 80mm Reply with quote

i really like my biometar 2,8/80. but i am thinking of a faster portrait lens up to 200 €. any suggestions?

i don't want a faster 80er if it's "just" fast! but i fear that 200 € is too little for a fast 80er that shall bring up the optical performance of (e.g.) a pancolar! or not?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 2 faster lens, which can fit this price range:

Vivitar 85/1.8
Jupiter-9 85/2

Both of them are not as sharp as Pancolar, esp. under f/4, But I don't think you could find Pancolar for this price...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkor-H 1.8/85

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Takumar 85/1.9

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon 85/1.8 ... use it in MF mode.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote also goes to the Nikkor H 1.8/85. It's one of my favorite lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 No X

But I think that with a "normal" subject at F/5,6, 8 and 11 between vivitar 1,8 and pancolar don't much differences in overall resolution power nor contrast. Pancolar something warm. I like vivitar's cold tones for portraits.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Vivitar is sharp around f/4 and really VERY sharp at f/5.6+

These samples are taken by the Vivitar - as I remember, the first one is at f/4, while the second one is at f/8:

I think at f/5-f/5.6 or more it would be quite impossible to distinguish which picture was taken by Vivitar and which by Pancolar according to sharpness.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest nikkor 85/2 or 85/1.8

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's all nice and good, but I'm fairly sure that the OP does not want a fast 80 because he wants to stop it down to f/5.6 or more. For that he can use his Biometar, eh? So I guess he'll use it wide-open or almost wide-open, in which case I vote for the 85m f/1.8 SMC Takumar or the 80mm f/1.8 Pancolar (the Pancolar has a slight edge).

May I suggest the following: just keep using the Biometar while you are looking for a cheap or misrepresented Panc or Tak. This might take some time, but remember that the hunt is the nicest part of finding and buying good lenses! Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
That's all nice and good, but I'm fairly sure that the OP does not want a fast 80 because he wants to stop it down to f/5.6 or more. For that he can use his Biometar, eh?

Well, supahmario didn't tell us why he want a fast lens. You can be right, of course. But it's also reasonable to think that lens wishes fast to confront situations with little light and that, normally, could continue using the new lens at medium apertures .

He could think, too, that the design of the new fast 80 mm (planar in 90%) overpased, in sharpness, to the hybrid design of the biometar 2,8/80.

In both cases, the use of the vivitar 1,8 at sharpness apertures (F/4 to 11) can be desirable for supahmario.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
I agree, Vivitar is sharp around f/4 and really VERY sharp at f/5.6+

These samples are taken by the Vivitar - as I remember, the first one is at f/4, while the second one is at f/8:

I think at f/5-f/5.6 or more it would be quite impossible to distinguish which picture was taken by Vivitar and which by Pancolar according to sharpness.

Excelents pics. Very informative about the sharpness of the lens too.

We have a very good lens Wink

Rino.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Vivitar/Polar/Samyang/Bower 85/1.4? I heard they are pretty good and cheap too...around $350US.