Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

M42 Exa usability, waist level viewfinder?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: M42 Exa usability, waist level viewfinder? Reply with quote

Only once in my life (!) I had the chance to look through a waist level viewfinder, if I remember right it was on a Pentax 645 medium format camera. I can't forget that, I never thought that a view that 3 dimensional was possible, and manual focusing was a pleasure!

Ok, that was a MF camera..but it still makes me wonder: if I want that great viewfinder experience for cheap and use my M42 lenses, would an Exa camera with a waist level viewfinder be an option?

or to ask differently:
how are the waist level viewfinders of the M42 Exa bodies?
how useable are Exa generally speaking?

thank you for any input,
cheers,
Andreas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pentax 645 does not have, and never will have, a WLF finder. Maybe you are confused with the Pentax 67 Smile

Having said that: the Exa is a VERY basic camera with very basic shutter speeds. In the Exa, at least on the models I have used, the mirror assembly is also the shutter. This limits its usability somewhat.

Maybe the Praktica VLC3 is more interesting for you? This model sports interchangeable finders.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you Spotmatic for your very informative answer.

yes..because I also thought that the Pentax 645 does not have a WLF I was cautious how to formulate..'if I remember right'..but I think it WAS a 645 and not a Pentax 67.
Could be that what I remember is viewing through a Pentax 645 with the pentaprism viewfinder removed???
if so, how would that compare with the view through a 'real' WLF?

thank you pointing out the Praktica VLC3 - a quite sweet looking camera. Saw there is one at ebay now, but only including a pentaprism VF..I guess no good idea to got for it then..

best regards,
Andreas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
thank you Spotmatic for your very informative answer.

yes..because I also thought that the Pentax 645 does not have a WLF I was cautious how to formulate..'if I remember right'..but I think it WAS a 645 and not a Pentax 67.
Could be that what I remember is viewing through a Pentax 645 with the pentaprism viewfinder removed???
if so, how would that compare with the view through a 'real' WLF?

The problem is that none of the Pentax 645 models have a removable prism. The prism is fixed... So no WLF possibilities here. I think you may have looked on the ground glass screen of a Mamiya M645 - a very easy to find camera.

I think a 35mm camera with a WLF finder is somewhat limited. I have tried it before (on my Asahiflex and Pentax LX), but focusing is not very easy on a screen this small. Also, there's almost no '3D-ness' when looking on the screen. For that, you'll definitely need a medium format camera.

Quote:

thank you pointing out the Praktica VLC3 - a quite sweet looking camera. Saw there is one at ebay now, but only including a pentaprism VF..I guess no good idea to got for it then..

Only if you can also find the WLF. Just keep looking for it if you really want it - one will pop up sooner or later.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andreas,

Exa cameras came in two flavours, the "I" and the "II" families.

The "I" has interchangeable viewfinders and normally supplied with a waist-level finder. It has a "mirror shutter" which can only deliver a limited range of speeds, and due to its inherent design, it cannot use lenses longer than 100mm.

The "II" has a fixed pentaprism, and a proper focal plane shutter (which is unusual for being a cloth shutter, but vertical run). This means it has no upper limit in focal length compatibility.

In that case, I think if you can live with the 100mm focal length limit, the Exa I type would be a fine choice. Earlier Exas, naturally, were equipped with the Exakta bayonet mount, but later models had M42 mount with the stop-down actuator, which may be an advantage.