Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CV Nokto 50mm f1.1. Coming Soon now with sample set
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: CV Nokto 50mm f1.1. Coming Soon now with sample set Reply with quote

CV has a new M mount 50mm f1.1 Nokton

Thread at RFF with preview with Tom A

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rapidwinder/sets/72157618400098667/

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The samples in B+W look great.
This lens is reported to go on sale for about $1100.
Now That is alot for a 50mm but if you consider the Nocti-Leica alternative.
You can 5 of these and money left over for a Body or 3 Wink

The Pany G1 guys are going to have a ball with this thing.
100MM FOV and f1.1. Come on who would not want to play Laughing

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Samsung NX could mount this, then I'd be really, really interested.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunshine wrote:
100MM FOV and f1.1. Come on who would not want to play

interesting and impressive!
$1100 is a magnet price that will attract lot of people!
the 2x cropped sensor give less dof than bigger sensor
according to dof calculator, this would give the equivalent of a 100mm f2.2 on a 5D and give little less bokeh than a 85mm f1.4

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
sunshine wrote:
100MM FOV and f1.1. Come on who would not want to play

interesting and impressive!
$1100 is a magnet price that will attract lot of people!
the 2x cropped sensor give less dof than bigger sensor
according to dof calculator, this would give the equivalent of a 100mm f2.2 on a 5D and give little less bokeh than a 85mm f1.4

Yes that's how I understand it as well but, still with the light capturing ability of F1.1.
So a little bit easier to focus because of the small sensor. Still having all the speed of it's native design.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Available July 09 ERP $1100

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Wow.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.1 or 1.2 1.4 doesn't matter truly in my opinion in practical usage

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
1.1 or 1.2 1.4 doesn't matter truly in my opinion in practical usage

1.1 is 2/3 of a stop faster than 1.4

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kudos to Cosina for making this, even though sometimes i think that would be nice to see them making something devoted to a more modern and practical usage.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mUg wrote:
Kudos to Cosina for making this, even though sometimes i think that would be nice to see them making something devoted to a more modern and practical usage.

I wholeheartedly endorse the Kudos part. There is lots of practical to go around.

I'm very curious to see some more shots from this thing.

K.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if there's anything that Cosina, especially their Voigtländer brand, is polar opposites with, I think is "practical" :-DDD Why else would they release an M42 mount camera like the Bessaflex in this day and age? I think practical minded people can get a great selection of practical gear from other, practical big names.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens seems very interesting although the previews size is so small that it's impossible to tell anything about the image quality except for the most obvious issues like vignetting.

What really strikes me is Mr. Kobayashi, it's incredible the dedication of this man to our "old time photography" as compared with the contemporary trend of most other makers. He and Zeiss both deserve big "kudos" from us.

I personally think this will be really a film lens. On digital, there is no reason today to use extreme lenses with their inherent limitations. Today's digital reflex cameras make really useable 3200 ISO, and shooting RAW allows a 2 stops tolerance on the left side of histogram. So except for the very extreme situations, a f/1.4 is enough and more adviseable image quality wise.
Instead, on film, where you are limited by the type of film you have in your camera at the moment, a f/1.1 lens can really be a "life saver".

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
The lens seems very interesting although the previews size is so small that it's impossible to tell anything about the image quality except for the most obvious issues like vignetting.

What really strikes me is Mr. Kobayashi, it's incredible the dedication of this man to our "old time photography" as compared with the contemporary trend of most other makers. He and Zeiss both deserve big "kudos" from us.

I personally think this will be really a film lens. On digital, there is no reason today to use extreme lenses with their inherent limitations. Today's digital reflex cameras make really useable 3200 ISO, and shooting RAW allows a 2 stops tolerance on the left side of histogram. So except for the very extreme situations, a f/1.4 is enough and more adviseable image quality wise.
Instead, on film, where you are limited by the type of film you have in your camera at the moment, a f/1.1 lens can really be a "life saver".

I think mostly this is true. However for RF addicts speed is still essential. Neither of the current DRF's have great High iso performance. This lens could make a difference for some guys.
Interesting that CV dropped the 1.5/50 Nokton. The assumption is this lens is to replace the 1.5 version.
My guess is that the 1.5 will be re-introduced but, with an M-mount this time.

BTW
I will not be buying the 1.1/50. The 1.5 is plenty fast for me and I got it for 1/10 of the cost of the new lens.
The 1.2/35 is more interesting actually. Considering the crop factor of the DRF's and slightly more DOF of a 35mm. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some samples, looks nice Smile

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhapeman/sets/72157621613423252/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:

100MM FOV and f1.1. Come on who would not want to play Laughing

I want! I want!
I definitely need to play in the lottery!
So that my wife does not complain about me spending some more money. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy

That is completely awesome. Typically the OOF on these ultra fast lenses is wild. Look forward to samples

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I browsed the samples from the last link, at one point I stopped and thought "wow, this is really a good one!". I looked closely, and it was the first one in the series made with the Leica M8 - the previous ones were taken with an Olympus camera.

So my conclusion was: we may like to think that it's the lens that makes the difference, but in the case of digital cameras, I think most of the times, it is the camera that does...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

So my conclusion was: we may like to think that it's the lens that makes the difference, but in the case of digital cameras, I think most of the times, it is the camera that does...

And sometimes, sadly to admit, it is the post processing that made the difference.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

samples look very good!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I only used the films with this lens, the results are not so impressive so far.
Mainly because film (colour film) grain and my bad scanning ability. Embarassed

But the lens is sharp at the focus plane I think, not yet have a good example yet.
My M8 is currently broken, so no digital images with this lens.

My samples are > http://www.pbase.com/kkawakami/cv_nokton_50_11

click to enlarge photos

@f1.1 Coma is visible at upper right

@f1.1 Bokeh is sometime busy/not ideal to me

@f1.1? Against light, it does perform well (modern lens from Cosina)

@f1.1 back bokeh is (generally) pleasing

@f1.1 Front bokeh is all right

@f1.1 Focused area is quite sharp (also with the above)

I used Leica M6 and Fuji Reala for the above photos.

I am still testing,,,,