Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FD->EOS
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Canon FD->EOS Reply with quote

Hi!

Some friends of mine have a old canon with some quite nice lenses to go with it. the 50mm 1.4 looks very nice. The problem is that the lenses is canon FD mount. Is there any way to use this on their Canon EOS 400?

I know there are adapters out there, but do they focus to infinity?

Can anyone point me off into the right direction?

Thanks,

Runar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can reach infinity only with adapter what is contains additional glass this means highly reduced IQ. You can use Canon FD lenses without any problem on Micro 4/3 DSLR cameras only on 4/3 need to convert mount.
Some lenses allow adjust infinity and use on EOS. For example my Tair-3 was adjusted and converted successfully from Canon FD to Nikon. (I think it had T-mount originally so wasn't a big deal)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FD to EOS adapters are relatively expensive (i guess usd50 or so for a lowcost Chinese made), but image quality is so-so.

Only if you have a lot of FD lenses, i would recommend you to get an adapter.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it´s bad idea to use lenses with any adapter containing glass; my experience says it hugely affects picture quality. Maybe if you do not need focusing to infinity and have some very good or special lenses (like portrait 85/1.2L ) i´d consider buying some none-glass adapter just for play; in other case it´s no good deal.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a lot of FD glass my suggestion is to keep using them with film Wink and if you don't want to buy other lenses for digital then get an Olympus 4/3 camera like Attila said.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
If you have a lot of FD glass my suggestion is to keep using them with film Wink and if you don't want to buy other lenses for digital then get an Olympus 4/3 camera like Attila said.

QTF

or sexy oly m4/3 body;)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

berraneck wrote:
Orio wrote:

QTF

or sexy oly m4/3 body;)

Exactly m4/3 best choice adapter available!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The authentic Canon adapters are expensive when you can find them. The Canon that allows infinity only works with certain lenses but does allow infinity. The other is for macro use and doesn't have glass in it but doesn't allow for infinity focus.

However, for using FD macro glass such s the FD 50mm, 100mm and 200mm as well as the FD Bellows, the loss of infinity isn't as big of a problem anyway. I have this latter setup and use it on an EOS film body.