Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Flowers with Nikkor 35/1,4 and 28/2,8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Flowers with Nikkor 35/1,4 and 28/2,8 Reply with quote

These two lenses have cropped up in a couple of threads recently, so I broke them out to visit a local garden that specializes in "Hemerocallis". Both focus fairly close for their focal length (the 28 goes to 0,2m).

1: Nikkor 28/2,8

2: Nikkor 35/1,4

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite unusual to use wide angle lenses for close ups but both seem to perform well in terms of resolution. Contrast wise I find them a bit too harsh, but that could have also been the light.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaus

It was worst sort of light - very bright sun and almost overhead. However, I could tame it a bit in PP. Comment well taken and thank you

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember an old photographer, friend of the family, telling me when I was a kid that light was everything. At the time I had no idea what he meant.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The photo with the 2.8/28 is great, really a wow lens!
I used to have the Series E of this lens, which (according to what I read) should be similar optically but with a single coating instead of multi, and with a plastic barrel.
It was one of my favourite Nikon lenses, I used it for many years and from how good was the "junior" lens I can imagine how great is the "senior" one which is better!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad shots, but it seems to me it has too much contrast..

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The contrast is the result of very bright sunlight controlled to preserve the highlights. Any reduction in contrast (and there is no contrast added) would lead to blown highs.

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice shots Patrick. I too like using a 28 and a 35 for flower shots. Of course they are not really wide on a crop camera. I don't have the 1.4/35 but the 2/35 which is quite good. The 2.8/28 Ais is something else - as you demonstrate.

@Orio The 2.8/28 E and the 2.8/28 Ais have different optical schemes. The E is 5/5 and the Ais is 8/8 with floating elements (CRC).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think the second one is a bad shot, of course the light is harsh.
My 35/1.4 was never sued to shoot a flower until recently, so your shot
inspires me to do so....