Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mediterranean see (self BW prints)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Mediterranean see (self BW prints) Reply with quote

Auto Takumar 55/2.2 @f/11 on Agfa APX 400, 10x15 self made prints then scanned with my dirty scan glass Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice print of very difficult negative (dynamic range much wider than the 7 zones), I think a reprint could use some masking on the blackest parts and/or perhaps a couple seconds less on everything.
Show us more !!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the first time I use my enlarger Smile What are theses "7 zones" ?
I use a Tetenal multigrade paper, with Grade 1 Ilford filter, but the black zones are a wanted effect Wink
Sorry, I dont have yet more prints of this series, I printed some portraits shots for a friend and didn't have enough time for my pictures Razz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarbonR wrote:
This is the first time I use my enlarger Smile

good job then!

Quote:
What are theses "7 zones" ?

I refer to the 10 zones of Adam's zone system, where 0 is the pure black and 10 is the paper colour (pure white).
This of course refers to print, with negatives zone 10 is the most burned zone and zone 0 is the zone which after developing there is nothing left (only the support)

It is commonly said that 7 zones out of then is the range that it is possible (in optimal conditions) to render without clipping.
In your negative you have the sun in the frame, and your camera has underexposed a lot in order to compensate. So much that all shadow areas have become zone 0 (pure black) while at the same time, this did not really help with the sun, which is so luminous that has become zone 10 anyway.
With such a strong contrast, it was unavoidable to have some information clipped and that happened in the shadows, where what could be zone 1 or zone 2 has all fell into zone 0.

Quote:
the black zones are a wanted effect Wink

Ok, of course everyone makes his choices. Smile
I think that 1-2 second less paper exposure would have made the sky a more pleasing brighter grey, and maybe rescued some detail in the shadow. But surely it wasn't an easy negative to start printing with! You love the difficult tasks eh? Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a mistake, it was the third time I set up my darkroom (in my bathroom). Twice for 24x36 negatives, once of 6x7 negatives. But the first time was more difficult, I had to use a mask to have a good exposure all over the picture, but it hadnot been scanned yet.

For the exposure, I used my Spotmatic SP, but a Leningrad 4 hand cell, as the SP'cell isn't working Wink

I'm ok with less exposure time, but I didn't want to waste tons of papers, has their are only small prints (10x15, for practice) Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love them -- both! ..

thanks for sharing.

tf