Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

walkaround with Leitz Apo-Telyt-R 3.4/180
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: walkaround with Leitz Apo-Telyt-R 3.4/180 Reply with quote

Kodachrome in a lens?

The thing that impresses me more of this Apo-Telyt-R 3.4/180 is not the sharpness and it's not the absence of chromatic aberration. It's really the colours. For the first time I really have the impression that it's film and not digital. I was really tempted to call the thread "Kodachrome in a lens". Then browsing a bit the comments about this lens I have noticed the colours being mentioned several times, so it's not only my impression, it's a commonly perceived quality.

The shots have been taken during a short walk to the bank office. More than the subjects I wanted to capture the nice light. The lens served perfectly. I am now in awe. Too bad I don't have a Leica camera to try this lens on film.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio

That has to be one of the most desirable lenses put on display in this forum. I am rarely so impressed, but it reminds me of the first time I saw a colour print from a Hasselblad many many years ago.

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Orio
That has to be one of the most desirable lenses put on display in this forum. I am rarely so impressed, but it reminds me of the first time I saw a colour print from a Hasselblad many many years ago.
patrickh

It somehow reminds me of your Apo-Lanthar 90/3.5
Same cleanliness in the image, same dense colours without overdoing the saturation. Same "presence", if this musical word can mean anything to describe photographs.

Perhaps the Apo-Lanthar is even sharper, but this one is not bad either. Here's some 100% crops:

from pic 6:

from pic 8:

from pic 9:

from pic 12:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! The colors ARE life-like in tone. And in fact the lens seems overall to be sensational. I am really glad you showed these.

I would love to see a picture of the lens itself.

Orio wrote: Too bad I don't have a Leica camera to try this lens on film.

Well Orio, it doesn't look like you NEED a Leica camera to get beautiful full-color results. Cool Images #1, #3, #5, and #7 are gorgeous examples.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simply stunning!!

perfect - that lens is a real gem

I wish you nice time with this lens..

tf

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Leica R5 is not too expensive. Wink

Orio, it's no suprise that you like this lens so much. It is considered to be one of the best tele lenses ever!

BTW, why is there a German flag next to the Italian one in pic 5/6?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens seems like a gem. Lots of detail but not overly done. Very nice.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:

I would love to see a picture of the lens itself.

Here is a snapshot of it, sorry for the hurried quality:

On the right I put for comparison a CZJ Sonnar 2.8/180mm
As you can see, the Apo-Telyt is slightly longer but much less bulkier (of course the speed is not the same) and mostly, it weights almost the half of Sonnar (780 grams vs. 1460)

LucisPictor wrote:

BTW, why is there a German flag next to the Italian one in pic 5/6?

Our thermal therapies are known also abroad and we have several customers coming from Germany, France, Holland et c.
Some even also from the USA.
http://www.portalesalsomaggiore.it/eng/default.asp
In fact there are many flags on the building, but the 180mm tele was too long to photograph them all Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow really nice lens
It's giving me lens envy, good thing I can't justify spending that amount of money on a lens right now. Sad Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful colors, great result! Congrats!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks a dream, Orio! Love the girls in #10, bitchun late afternoon light! Of
course all the images are excellent. But you know that already. Wink Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:

Thanks Bill. I now need to recover from latest expenses (although selling stuff has paid for much of them).
As soon as I have more cash handy, I'll aim at a bargain Leica R camera. I think a simple Leica R3 will do. I really want to try this lens on a Provia roll.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the interim, the 5D MKII is certainly not letting you down. Looking forward
to those Provia shots, though. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Katastrofo wrote:

Thanks Bill. I now need to recover from latest expenses (although selling stuff has paid for much of them).
As soon as I have more cash handy, I'll aim at a bargain Leica R camera. I think a simple Leica R3 will do. I really want to try this lens on a Provia roll.

For a start, you could also go for a much cheaper film EOS and adapt this lens to it just like you do with your 5D.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome results Shocked

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

For a start, you could also go for a much cheaper film EOS and adapt this lens to it just like you do with your 5D.

I know... but I have become intolerant of plastic in cameras...Rolling Eyes I tolerate that of the EOS DSLR because there is no real alternative. But with film...no. I only want real metal cameras. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yalcinaydin wrote:
Awesome results Shocked

Yes, very clean results from this lens, and the colour rendition is terrific. I am happy - although I know it will be hard now to sell the Elmarit 180, because I love it too.