Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Price for a Sonnar 2,8/180 T*
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Price for a Sonnar 2,8/180 T* Reply with quote

what do you think is a good price for this lens in very good condition?

i think about to get this lens. i read the review orio made. and now i am hot to get it!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$350 for an early one up to $600 for a late MM version.
The Best 180-200mm I ever tried. I have an MMG for sale if you are serious about getting the rarest one send a PM.

MM is only important for Contax Multi-Mode film cameras. Although one other difference in the later MM versions is a even (not ninja star) Aperture blade system for better OOF highlights in strong conditions.
I don't think there is much difference in softer light from the ninja star YMMV.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a lot!

how can i distinguish the early from the later ones?
do you have pictures of the early and/or the later ones?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AE version has a tapered barrel, whereas the MM version has an abrupt enlargement at some point.

Also, the MM version (like all MM lenses), has the smaller aperture number printed in green, while the AE version (like all AE lenses) has the smaller aperture number in white like the other numbers.
-

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be sincere, I am a Contax user but I have to admit that the Leica Apo-Telyt-R 3.5/180 beats the Sonnar 2.8/180 by large.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
The AE version has a tapered barrel, whereas the MM version has an abrupt enlargement at some point.

Also, the MM version (like all MM lenses), has the smaller aperture number printed in green, while the AE version (like all AE lenses) has the smaller aperture number in white like the other numbers.
-

its not a problem of translation but a problem of imagination for me. can you show me one of this versions (AE or MM) and mark the part where it differs? would be NICE Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I will be sincere, I am a Contax user but I have to admit that the Leica Apo-Telyt-R 3.5/180 beats the Sonnar 2.8/180 by large.

does it also beat the price by large?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supahmario wrote:

its not a problem of translation but a problem of imagination for me. can you show me one of this versions (AE or MM) and mark the part where it differs? would be NICE Rolling Eyes

This is the AE version:

as you can see, between the aperture numbers and the grip, there is a tapered connection.

This is the MM version:

note that the aperture numbers and the grip have the same diameter, and that the diameter gets suddenly bigger towards the end.
Note also the smaller aperture number printed in green.
-

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supahmario wrote:
Orio wrote:

Well, I have paid my Sonnar more than I did pay for the Apo-Telyt-R, but I have been very lucky with the Apo.
Normally, the Apo-Telyt-R should cost from 200 to 300 Euros more than the Sonnar. But the prices are not stable like for new equipment, there can be lots of variation from copy to copy, one has to stay always with the eyes open and jump on a bargain as soon as it appears.
-

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats education! thanks a lot orio.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
supahmario wrote:
Orio wrote:

Well, I have paid my Sonnar more than I did pay for the Apo-Telyt-R, but I have been very lucky with the Apo.
Normally, the Apo-Telyt-R should cost from 200 to 300 Euros more than the Sonnar. But the prices are not stable like for new equipment, there can be lots of variation from copy to copy, one has to stay always with the eyes open and jump on a bargain as soon as it appears.
-

can i ask how much you paid?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supahmario wrote:

can i ask how much you paid?

I don't remember precisely how much I paid for the Sonnar, I think it was around 400 Euros.
For the Apo-Telyt-R I have paid 300 Euros, last week.

-

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would you say, that the one stop less is it worth?

so this should be a fair price. right!?
Click here to see on Ebay.de

its time for spending some more of my rare free time to shoot pictures. save money and then GET IT! Confused

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent price !
Grab it (if the lens is in good condition, I have not read the advert)

Between f/2.8 and f/3.5 there is half stop difference, not one.

-

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice is, if you want the lens, act fast. It will not be there for long at this price. I bet in half a day maximum it will be gone (if the lens is without problems - again I have not read the advert)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

Between f/2.8 and f/3.5 there is half stop difference, not one.

-

mmm...grgrgrr...
you are right, and i am a noob!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the practical use, it's meaningless, also because the Apo-Telyt is perfect wide open, see photo of Marco Cavina's wife in this article:

http://www.luciolepri.it/lc2/marcocavina/articoli_fotografici/Leitz_Apo-Telyt_180mm_glass/00_pag.htm

Besides, the lens is 3.4 not 3.5, my mistake.
-

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
My advice is, if you want the lens, act fast. It will not be there for long at this price. I bet in half a day maximum it will be gone (if the lens is without problems - again I have not read the advert)

my car is waiting for a set of new tires and a new clutch. and i think it will take at least a half year to find a moment, where 400 € lay around and wait to be spend for a lens Smile.

thats the reason why i started using mf-lenses!

but as far as i can see, there ist no reason for my work progress to return to af lenses. and so i am about to plan spending more money in better mf-lenses. you know?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
In the practical use, it's meaningless, also because the Apo-Telyt is perfect wide open, see photo of Marco Cavina's wife in this article:

http://www.luciolepri.it/lc2/marcocavina/articoli_fotografici/Leitz_Apo-Telyt_180mm_glass/00_pag.htm
-

thats impressing!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you don't buy it, somebody of our group should.
I saw recently this lens go for 600. even 650 Euros.

What does the advert says, is it in good condition?
-

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it tells:

"in well-kept used condition"
...nothing about the glass or the aperture.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supahmario wrote:
it tells:

"in well-kept used condition"
...nothing about the glass or the aperture.

Seller has excellent history. No negative also in the past. If I didn't have it already I would go for it.