Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Strange behavior with the 58mm f/1.2 Rokkor
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject: Strange behavior with the 58mm f/1.2 Rokkor Reply with quote

hey fellow lens lovers...

something very strange with my 58mm MC Rokkor 1.2 is bothering me. At f/1.2 and f/2 apertures, the image is the same! and I am absoluttely sure that the aperture closes at f/2. I mean, the bokeh is identical...

And comparing with my other f/1.2 lens (MD Rokkor 50mm) the behavior is different.

I set my camera at 0 EV, pointed at a white blank surface and closed the aperture from 1.2 to f/2 and then f/2.8... (full stops)
With my 50mm MD Rokkor, I closed from 1.2 to f/2 and the meter showed -1 EV, from f/2 to f/2.8 (-2 EV) and from f/2.8 to f/4 (-3 EV)

This is how it should be... 1.2 --> 2 --> 2.8 (full stops)

Now with the 58mm MC Rokkor:

1.2 --> 2 ( -2/3)
2 --> 2.8 (-2 EV)

Now some samples with the MD Rokkor, the brightness should look the same because the exposure is the same (obvious)

f/1.2 - 1/200

f/2 - 1/100

f/2.8 - 1/50

Now with the MC 58mm Rokkor

f/1.2 - 1/200

f/2 - 1/100

f/2.8 - 1/50

Look how strange is that... with the 58mm Rokkor the f/1.2 and f/2 photos looks identical except that the f/2 photo is brighter...

wow, I´m confused...

All I can think is that the f/2 setting is not f/2 for real...is something like f/1.4... but the aperture closes at f/2!! look how uniform the MD 50mm lens performs...

any ideas?
thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I promise I'll give it a try with mine. But for me there is little difference in the bokeh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hula, that really looks the same. Maybe area outside sensor differs more. Can you show a photo of lens aperture at F1.2 and F2.0? Did you check if your adapter interferes with aperture pin?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose you checked that the aperture really does close down to a circle of roundabout a bit less than half the diameter than at 1.2, right?

What camera are you using? Depending on the angle of the light rays hitting the sensor at 1.2, it might have to do something with that sort of thing:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/an_open_letter_to_the_major_camera_manufacturers.shtml

I have to admit that I have not yet really thought through that whole story and all the consequences that come with it, but on a first glimpse, it looks like it could be your sensors fault.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not identical! I see a clearly visible difference.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see a difference, to me it seems noticeably smoother at f/2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys...some new discoverings today

First, the picture of both lenses at f/2, the MD 50 and the MC 58

My 58mm Rokkor is converted to M42 and I use it with a M42-m4/3s adapter in my GH1.

And today I shot some different pictures and indeed the f/2 picture has a different bokeh. BUT, I was right about the 2/3 of stop difference...

Actually, is exactly like this: from wide open to f/2 (2/3s of stop) and from f/2 to f/2.8 is 1 1/3s of stop! then from f/2.8 to f/4 is 1 stop difference...

1/2500s to 1/1600s (2/3 stop) then from 1/1600s to 1/640s (1 1/3 stop)

look at the photos from today:

f/1.2 - 1/2500s

f/2 - 1/1600s

f/2.8 - 1/640s

So I'm sure that the f/2 setting is not f/2 for real... maybe a problem with the aperture?

And the MD 50mm looks sharper at f/2 than the MC 58mm at f/2... but the 58mm is absoluttely sharper at f/1.2 than the MD... interesting...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Hula, that really looks the same. Maybe area outside sensor differs more. Can you show a photo of lens aperture at F1.2 and F2.0? Did you check if your adapter interferes with aperture pin?

I promisse that I'll shot some better pictures of the lens wide-open and at f/2... this one is just to have an idea of the opening of the aperture at f/2...

the adapter does not interfere with the pin...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8310 wrote:
I suppose you checked that the aperture really does close down to a circle of roundabout a bit less than half the diameter than at 1.2, right?

What camera are you using? Depending on the angle of the light rays hitting the sensor at 1.2, it might have to do something with that sort of thing:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/an_open_letter_to_the_major_camera_manufacturers.shtml

I have to admit that I have not yet really thought through that whole story and all the consequences that come with it, but on a first glimpse, it looks like it could be your sensors fault.

That's some interesting reading...I'll check this out later today!

thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had this microlens problem here before:
http://forum.mflenses.com/fast-lenses-and-microlenses-t33709.html

In your 4/3 camera it could be, that the microlenses are optimized for telecentric lenses - and thet the exposture and depth of field difference between f/2.0 and f/1.4 for example is smaller than expected.
But on the other hand the bokeh rendering could be a bit smoother because of this.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8310 wrote:

This is so weird... How can my camera know if I'm using a large aperture if I use manual lenses 90% of the time?

And testing the MD 50mm f/1.2 with my GH1, the difference between f/1.2 - f/2 and so on are exactly 1 stop difference (I plan to test this later with a gray card to be more acurate)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ivan Lee wrote:
This is so weird... How can my camera know if I'm using a large aperture if I use manual lenses 90% of the time?

It can't, and that's why you get less exposure at f/1.2 than at f/2. If your camera would know (through electronic coupling), it could apply the extra sensor gain at f/1.2 to equalize the exposure with that at f/2.

The test results in that article from the luminous landscape must have been performed with the Canon EF 50 or 85 f/1.2L and similar f/1.4 autofocus lenses for the Nikon and Sony cameras.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The F2 in your 58 is not real, I have compared with mine. Has the same difference as your 50mm.