Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Some more Nikon-M42 questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Some more Nikon-M42 questions Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm using a wide variety of M42 lenses with my Nikon D80 and glass adapter. I have few questions:

1. Did anyone else notice, that Nikons focus confirmation light seems to lie? I always need to focus just a tiny bit further than the light, to get perfect focus. Does this mean that my new soon to come focus screen will lie too?

2. Has anyone seen a M42->Nikon adapter which would enable matrix metering on bodies lower than DXXX?

3. Has anyone seen a M42->Nikon adapter which would be able to use auto-aperture pin of auto m42 lenses?

Thanks Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Some more Nikon-M42 questions Reply with quote

I recommend you do a forum search for Nikon M42 and other relevant keywords.

1. No, mine is spot on on all Nikon bodies I use. It can be a lens issue, user error, setup, issue with the body, misplaced focusing screen... front/backfocusing is a long subject to sort out without further information and access to the camera body in question. Also bear in mind that the size and "target area" of your D80 focus confirm points vary, the center for example differs from the others.

2. It's not an adapter issue, the lower-end Nikon bodies just won't matrix meter with adapted lenses. Higher-end Nikon bodies do, I can shoot in aperture priority mode with my D3 and M42 lenses.

3. To the best of my knowledge, no such adapter exists as the aperture control on Nikon bodies is not compatible with the aperture control mechanism on semi-auto M42 lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ad 2) there a people who chip adaptors or short tubes to allow matrix metering. New, much smaller chips are available now. Check nikongear.com for more info.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where exactly do I check nikongear at? :/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrQQ wrote:

Try

nikongear.com

It's given in kds315*'s post.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
mrQQ wrote:

Try

nikongear.com

It's given in kds315*'s post.

i did open it up, but didnt see anything relative :/

as for the post about metering, yes, I know that by default lower bodies just dont meter, but I've seen some post @ manualfocus.org which says that there are adapters which lie about active focal range and aperture and allow metering..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick search on http://www.nikongear.com revealed this http://nikongear.com/smf/index.php?topic=6671.0 and other relevant topics on how to chip them for metering.

The reason why it isn't a more common solution is probably that on F-mount you'll need a glass adapter for infinity and that eats detail to some extent. Furthermore, F-mount users have a vast abundance of inexpensive AI-converted, Ai and Ai-S lenses to choose from. When you can use almost any Nikkor made after 1959 there is not so much need to look for inexpensive primes made for other mounts.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur with Lucius.
Old Nikkors are probably the best price/quality combination available on Ebay.
There is a wide choice and so Nikon camera users can find all they need.

Then maybe there is some Nikon users who also wants to try other lenses for fun instead of just need.
To them however I would advice to buy a used cheap Canon or Olympus camera body for that purpose,
instead of getting frustrated at not being able to focus those lenses to infinity on their Nikon cameras.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio's advice is very sound
I have the D200 and a range of nikkors, but I was intrigued by the different "character" of many of the manual lenses shown here. Eventually I opted to buy a Canon 40D for non-nikon lenses (and non-Canon since I hate their abusive attitude to their loyal followers). I love the flexibility and quality I can get with this combination

patrickh

PS Yes I put my nikkors on the Canon too! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkors are still more expensive then russian M42s.

That link on nikongear only confirms that it doesnt work. I was kinda hoping there are solutions. I guess not.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrQQ wrote:

That link on nikongear only confirms that it doesnt work. I was kinda hoping there are solutions. I guess not.

I sympathise with your position. I too hoped that cheap Russian glass might offer a nice image quality on my Nikon camera body. And it did - but at a price. Using a glass adapter was not a problem. Nor was metering. I am quite happy with "chimping" - it's what I do now with Nikkors. My main problem was/is the lack of automatic aperture. On a bright day I can focus, and take the shot, at the working aperture. If I have to focus wide open I sometimes (often ?) find it difficult to hold the focus while stopping down and then taking the shot. And so now I'm moving towards Nikon and 3rd party Nikon fit lenses. But you are right - Nikkors are more expensive. Even though the prices of some Russian lenses have risen alot during the last year it's probably easier to find bargain Russians than bargain Nikkors.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrQQ wrote:

Price and quality walk hand in hand.

Quote:

The solution to matrix metering is chipping the adapter or upgrading your Nikon body.

The cheapest way around no matrix metering is chimping and confirming exposures from your LCD. Once you get used to it the problem will cease to exist - I am comfortable using my Super Ikonta without a light meter and that's film.

The solution to infinity focusing is called a glass adapter that allows infinity focus. Loss of quality is smaller than most people seem to think, au par with loss of quality from using cheap filters. This is 100% crop of shot taken with silver 12-bladed Tessar 50/2.8 and distance to brick wall is more than 100 meters.

More Nikon digital + M42 lenses here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mureena/sets/72157607140210153/

Last edited by Esox lucius on Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:26 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my modest experience, I have always found that to use an acceptable lens that is compatible with the native register distance is preferable to using a great lens that requires an optical adapter.
But that's just me...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We who use bodies that can meter with M42 lenses don't experience it, but compatible register distance still won't solve the "no matrix metering" issue on many camera bodies.

On a D3 I can shoot in aperture priority mode with M42 lenses, but on a D70 I am left with exposure validation from my LCD/histogram.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
We who use bodies that can meter with M42 lenses don't experience it, but compatible register distance still won't solve the "no matrix metering" issue on many camera bodies.

Metering is never a problem. I never trust my cameras' matrix metering anyway. I always do my own metering using the "bread and butter" metering rules that still work better than any matrix . Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree Cool I was just replying to mrQQ's wish for matrix metering on lower end bodies.