Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

m42 bodies?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: m42 bodies? Reply with quote

Hey,

I was in the dark room with my friend yesterday developing films, and I got really exited about the process. So far I have taken mainly digital pictures or earlier had a store to do the developing for me. I thought that since I have a m42 manual lense I use with adapter on Olympus and planning on getting some other manual lenses too, I might as well get a m42 body and shoot some film with it, especially now that I have an access to dark room.

So, would any of you happen to have a extra m42 body lying around that you would be willing to sell. I know most of these are quite cheap on ebay, but I think it would be more reliable to get one from someone in the forum.

I'm mainly looking for just a decent condition m42 body with all the mechanics functioning, my intention is not to hoard or collect, just to shoot some film with it, so it doesn't have to be in perfect looking condition.

I'm on a really tight budget right now so please don't offer Spotmatic or Icarex, that could be too tempting for me. Unless really cheap that is;) I can accept offers within EU only since I don't have a paypal account, the payment would have to be made with EU bank transfer.

You can move this to Marketplace if you think that is right, I wasn't sure.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a Canon A1. Cool

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductDetail.aspx?groupsku=CA020000117500&brandcategoryname=35MM&Mode=&item=0&ActivateTOC2=&ID=12&BC=CA&BCC=1&CC=2&CCC=1&BCL=&GBC=&GCC=

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

magnet-2009 wrote:
Take a Canon A1. Cool

M42?? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Canon A-1 would be great of course. At the moment I would like to have one with m42 mount. As I mentioned, I would also like to purchase one within EU, because keh.com propably won't accept EU bank transfer as they are located in US. The A-1 would propably be out of my price range anyway, I can not check your link because their site is down at the moment. I would also have to pay customs taxes.

Yeah, cheap but functional m42 mount body within EU.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sent you a PM about Spottie.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're still stuck for a body, let me know - I have some Spotmatics available. A decent, affordable and reliable workhorse.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prakticas for the price of postage here if you need one. All with new lights seals. I'm drowning in them! Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got millions of Prakticas and Zenits Shocked Mine haven't got new light seals though so I'd suggest going with someone else.

BTW, I tried removing the focus screen from a Zenit E this morning...it took me nearly an hour to get most of the screws out! Can't believe how well built they were, like tanks! And I still haven't got the screen out Laughing

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really didn't know that there are still that many Prakticas, Zenits and Spotmatics flouting around. I guess they really are well made:)

I decided to go with Soikka's offer, turned out that he lives a few kilometers from here so there's no need for mailing it. This turned out much better than expected:)

Thanks all for your offers, I think one film SLR is enough for me. Wow, I really didn't expect this would be this fast.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
magnet-2009 wrote:
Take a Canon A1. Cool

M42?? Rolling Eyes

Mmmmmm I just thought that A1+ adapter will be fine.

I am human and my mistakes confirm that. Cool

Melankhton have happy hours with your new "body". Laughing

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think one film SLR is enough for me

I think we all said this at one time and now most of us have more bodies than we know what do do with. Don't worry the camera bug will spread sooner or later. Resistance is futile.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take some other cheap cameras like Praktica, Zenit etc. To collect them great fun and costs nothing really.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One big reason the bodies tend to accumulate - often you can get a lens cheaper if it is on a camera than if it is being sold as a lens.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
Quote:
I think one film SLR is enough for me

I think we all said this at one time and now most of us have more bodies than we know what do do with. Don't worry the camera bug will spread sooner or later. Resistance is futile.

Thats propably true Very Happy Well now I am a proud owner of a Spotmatic, tomorrow I'm going to get some film for it and see what happens.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melankhton wrote:
Well now I am a proud owner of a Spotmatic, tomorrow I'm going to get some film for it and see what happens.

Congratulations on acquiring a very fine camera, and best of luck with the testing Smile

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatics are great. I have 2 SPiis and an SPF.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just have a huge cupboard full of Zenits Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone.

I've got a Porst Relfex TL (Cosina 1000/s I think) camera for my M42 lenses but in certain situations it is too big and noisy and it's not all black. What I like is its weight (it's heavy but helps the stabilisation) and the fact that it's an all mechanic camera (only the light meter needs batteries).
The one on the left

I've think to buy more one M42 camera body , a little smaller, more silent and all black camera. The first though went to Fujica M42 cameras.
Could someone make a short presentation or review of one of their models ?

Any other solution/review (other M42 camera that would fit the requirements) ?

Thank you very very much.

PS. I also though of a cheap Zenit TTL,11 or 12 (I have a faulty Zenit E which seemd to me much more silent than the Porst) but I don't know their coverage of the viewfinder (and the Zenit E's viewfinder is much more daker the the Porst's Sad which is a heavy backdraw ).

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M42, smallish, black, quiet...

Fujis, the discussion usually goes around the ST801. I have a ST605, which is a small quiet body, split prism focus screen, and a nice meter which is sometimes difficult for me to see. I'm not sure which Fujis were made in black.

Yashica TL Electros are very solid cameras, a bit larger than Spotmatic but comfortable to use. I really like mine - but make sure the meter works as there probably aren't spares around. Got my first one for $9. I paid a small bit more for my second one, an 'its' in black, where the circuit works but the meter doesn't. These are really nice for certain situations with the LED exposure indicators in the viewfinder.

I like the Spotmatics, they are built better and engineered nicer than the Fujis and Yashicas. And usually you can get them fixed. They are smaller than your Porst.

Around here, usually there's a lot of affection for the later Cosina bodies, and for good reason too. In the States, these aren't plentiful as the companies importing them slapped their own names on them and... well..

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Pentax SPF, Praktica MTL-5B and Fujica ST801. They're all great. ST801 has smaller body and brightest viewfinder with little higher price than MTL-5B. LED light meter is good to use. SPF is easy operating , easy to find in bidding site and very good with Tak SMC lenses but make sure you can find the source of battery. MTL-5B is strong with average performance and cheapest among these three.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can recommend the Yashica TL no problem, its very good but as an alternative howw about an FX-3 (very small neat and black) with a y/c m42 adapter? Most c/y adapters come with the inner flange to engage the push pin of auto lenses and will focus to infinity ok plus you can use all the Yashica /Contax glass Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was stupid enough to sell the Zeiss Ikon Icarex 35S body that came with my Ultron (lol), but that body was nice. Great build quality, fantastic view finder, etc. If I get a chance again, I will definitely snatch it for my M42 body of choice. Yes, I also have a Spotty which I love, but it's married to my Super-Tak 35/3.5 Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a SL706 and I used to own a Icarex TM but they are no challange for the Spotmatic. Heavy as plumb, unreliable meters.
What speaks against the Spotmatics are the small rare batteries they need. Spotmatic-F works with PX625, much more common. Olympus FTL is a great body too but rare.
If a meter is not required my vote goes for Pentax S2/H2. The nicest SLR ever made. A bit smaller than the Spotmatic too. But you need to find one where the shutter curtains didn't became sluggish. Quite a common fault. The Spotmatic has the more durable shutter.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taunusreiter wrote:
I have a SL706 and I used to own a Icarex TM but they are no challange for the Spotmatic. Heavy as plumb, unreliable meters.
What speaks against the Spotmatics are the small rare batteries they need. Spotmatic-F works with PX625, much more common. Olympus FTL is a great body too but rare.
If a meter is not required my vote goes for Pentax S2/H2. The nicest SLR ever made. A bit smaller than the Spotmatic too. But you need to find one where the shutter curtains didn't became sluggish. Quite a common fault. The Spotmatic has the more durable shutter.

I've not touched an SL706, but I've owned a VSL1 in the past, which I believe is the same thing, and the Icarex TM was a definitely better body. I have no regrets on getting rid of the VSL1.

The beef I have with my Spotmatic is the viewfinder. Dark, no split prism (I know some people don't want that), and the microprism really only works well with super fast primes; i.e., it's OK with my Super-Tak 50/1.4, but with the 35/3.5 mounted on it, I pretty much have to shoot everything using hyperfocal.

The Icarex view finder was marvelous in comparison. Very bright, very distinctive microprism collar, and the diagonal split prism I actually liked a lot.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy agrees Very Happy

http://www.cameraquest.com/zvicarex.htm

If only I'd read that article before I sold my Icarex Embarassed