Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Distagon 28mm f/2.0 (help) - aperture change
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Distagon 28mm f/2.0 (help) - aperture change Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Today I finally received my Distagon "Hollywood". However I'm finding a problem, which certainly is my fault, or at least, I hope it is.

I can change the aperture when the lens is outside the camera, however, when I mount it, it always keeps at f/2.0.

I know a lot of lenses have a Manual/Automatic switch and they have to be put in manual, to avoid this problem, however this is not the case, I think. At least I never saw one of those switches in this system.

I never had this problem with other Contax/Yashica lens, but I also have to confess this is my first MM version.

Can you please give me some help?

Thanks! Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are having the same problem that I am having with the Planar 50 using the most recent breed of adapters.
See discussion here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/something-strange-with-planar-1-4-50-t17895.html

Unfortunately I have not solved my problem so I can not help with yours Sad
I have two Hollywoods and both are AE made in West Germany.
Where was your MM Hollywood built?
Possibly one cause could be that the lens built by Kyocera uses a slightly different mount. It already happened with one lens, the Distagon 18, which has a different build in MM than it had in AE.
However this would not explain why other Japan made Contax lenses do not give this problem...
Maybe in a certain period of time they were supplied with parts that had slightly different build?
WOuld be worth investingating if one had the documentation.
Which serial number is your Hollywood?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi orio,

Thank you for your prompt answer.
In fact I already had a similiar problem with a Planar 50mm, but in that case I was able to change the aperture, I just had to remove the lens from the camera, change de aperture, and mount it again. The selected aperture would keep the same and it wasn't a big deal...

In this case it's a lot worst. I can change de aperture outside the camera even if the lens is mounted in the adapter, however it always stays wide open when I mount it in the camera.

I'm using one of the new adapters, but it works ok with my other c/y lenses. I really have to try one of the old ones to check if I can avoid that problem.

My lens was made in West Germany, MM type, as mentioned, and the serial number is:

I really have to find a way to solve this, otherwise I just can use it wide open. Confused

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is always the solution of broking the end of that small metal level, which keeps the lens wide open when it's rotated, but I would prefer to avoid that.
At least I think that would work.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was doing some research and I found another case:

http://photo.net/filters-bags-tripods-accessories-forum/00HyJO

Unfortunately they didn't know much about this.

Do you guys think I can solve the problem shaving the aperture tab?

In the Zeiss the mechanism is different, but I'm talking about this:

(photos from the web / different lens)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Wait a moment Reply with quote

jimlizard wrote:
I was doing some research and I found another case:

http://photo.net/filters-bags-tripods-accessories-forum/00HyJO

Unfortunately they didn't know much about this.

Do you guys think I can solve the problem shaving the aperture tab?

In the Zeiss the mechanism is different, but I'm talking about this:

(photos from the web / different lens)

I'm not sure, never opened that model, but I did many Contax MM conversions to Pentax replacing the mount, and I don't think that tab is related with the problem, it could be one of the mobile levers, that got stuck against something in the camera, since you can use the diaphragm out of the camera.
Possibly the offending lever can be removed without any surgery.
Best, David

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That one makes your lens MM instead of AE, anyway this one should not
cause your aperture to NOT to change. The most of C/Y->EF adapter looks

That ditch/canal pointed by Yellow arrow in this photo should make
lens aperture ring to move freely.

If your adapter does not have this "ditch", change your adapter!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried different adapters?
One thing that worked for was not to fit the adapter to 100% on the lens, before the lens holding spring snaps in, can you try that?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlsson wrote:
Have you tried different adapters?
One thing that worked for was not to fit the adapter to 100% on the lens, before the lens holding spring snaps in, can you try that?

It worked! Smile
Of course the lens isn't properly fixed that way, but It can be perfectly used.
I'll buy one of those adapter recommended by Koji (thanks!), or maybe I'll modify one of those I have, since it seems simple.

I feel for relief now. Very Happy
Thank you, guys!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, sharpness at f/2.0 was excellent, considering the large aperture. Now I tried f/4.0-5.6 and I'm amazed!

Colors and bokeh are also beautiful, typical from Zeiss.

I bought it with some light scratches on the front element and I'm not worried about them. Performance is exactly the same and the price was good enough to justify them.